Manual transmission for life...
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Turbo 6sp MT
Country flag
I've had my 2018 sport turbo 6-speed manual for about two months now and I noticed that the wheel bearings are pretty much trash.

For those of you not in the know a wheel bearing should spin for like a minute if they're really good expensive bearings; which means if you're driving down the road and pop it into neutral you should be able to Coast on a flat surface for like a mile which I can't even do for two blocks in my Civic.

Then while watching random videos on YouTube this comes up in the recommendations:

I also think the bearings sound really crunchy in general which they should not if they're brand new and well-greased...

Has anybody else noticed this? I have had my car since factory [7 miles on it] but didn't really want to address the fact that it wasn't fully satisfactory because I just dropped like 30 grand on it....
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I coast in stop and go traffic fairly often when moving at 3mph and have coasted like that for a considerable distance (yay NJ Parkway summer traffic!). You should be showing this to your dealer.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
doesn't make sense. not sure whats going on there. If this was a common issue there would be a recall. Can you hear the wheel bearings when you're driving? Usually you can hear a bad bearing whining. maybe a few of them didn't get greased. My LX coupe was built in the canadian plant which is supposed to have excellent quality control. I'm guessing that new bearings would come from the manufacturer with grease in them before honda even touches them.

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wheel bearings will not spin for over a minute if they are good. A bicycle wheel sure but a car wheel has a lot of drag from the grease in the bearing and if they are that loose they are junk.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I researched this Honda oem wheel bearings are manufactured by NSK, to exacting standards. NSK would never ship a bearing without grease in it.

OP
OP
SonicGreyStorm

SonicGreyStorm

Manual transmission for life...
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Turbo 6sp MT
Country flag
@SonicGreyStorm, don't lower your car bro. Reports are coming in that those who dropping their gen 10s are getting suspension problems, some with axle damage and even wheel bearing damage.
Yeah didn't lower or race or track...I just drive for pleasure lol but I know a ton of yall trick em hard and go redline.

But yeah I son't really see these bearings as being quality at all and I've been working on cars casually for 8 years.

I dunno...

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
in the youtube video - not sure if it is you or someone else- but stated the car has 70,000 miles.
If the bearing was not greased it would not made it to 70K miles.
Also, the wheel will not just fall off, the bearing will get gradually noiser.
Most car's bearing will last more than 70K but some don't. All depends on what type of abuse it is put through. Exceeding load carrying capacity, high-speed cornering, couple curb jolts and off she goes. It is usually the lateral forces that kill it.
Bearings are cheap and is a wear item.
Salty environment of Denver could speed up its death too.
Slap a new set on it, and motor on.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I've had my 2018 sport turbo 6-speed manual for about two months now and I noticed that the wheel bearings are pretty much trash.
Two months of driving for pleasure and you already noticed wheel bearings are trash? How many miles have you driven? The bearings might be initially tighter. If they were significantly tight you would have a worse gas mileage and overheating. Are there even flat roads around Denver? :D

Or maybe you first saw the youtube video and then noticed you have the same problem? Don't do that. I used to read the list of more than 1200 rare diseases and found I had many of them. I don't do that any more. A cheerful thought is that there is a cure for bad wheel bearings .

https://rarediseases.org/for-patien...n-resources/rare-disease-information/page/79/

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag

For those of you not in the know a wheel bearing should spin for like a minute if they're really good expensive bearings; which means if you're driving down the road and pop it into neutral you should be able to Coast on a flat surface for like a mile which I can't even do for two blocks in my Civic.

Then while watching random videos on YouTube this comes up in the recommendations:

I also think the bearings sound really crunchy in general which they should not if they're brand new and well-greased...

Has anybody else noticed this? I have had my car since factory [7 miles on it] but didn't really want to address the fact that it wasn't fully satisfactory because I just dropped like 30 grand on it....
Maybe you hit a pothole or some shit and took tires out of balance leading to the bearing failure. Also, out of balance tires with scuff and leave you with a rotational noise that can be confused for bearings. They're covered under warranty. If you've done aftermarket wheels, and this important to remember for all aftermarket mods, if dealer says your warranty is void cuz of say a blown engine and you only put a CAI on it they have to prove the modification caused the failure, don't let them try and leave you footing the bill

Last edited:

Krispin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T
Country flag
Just had all 4 wheel bearing replaced (on warranty) after 41,000 kilometers on a 2016 civic. I was REALLY surprised they went that quickly. I had a old chevy nova handed down through the family with 150,000 miles on it before I changed the bearings.

All I can say is if you think yours are going, get it in before the 3 year mechanical warranty is up.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
All I can say is if you think yours are going, get it in before the 3 year mechanical warranty is up.
Holy frig and yes! I have had ONE (2000 CRV) wheel bearing replaced on 6 cars (Counting my new Civic in that 6). I can't imagine 4 all at once!
Sponsored