First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive a 2020 civic si sedan with roughly 30k miles on it.

Okay so my trans started being weird starting on halloween night, just driving rough being very difficult in and out of gears and generally just not great. It proceeded to keep getting worse for the following days to the point i had to force first and reverse to move the car at all and double clutch and match the rpms dead on to be able to change gears and even then it wasnt smooth at all. I tried everything short of replacing the trans. It feels like driving without synchros but at the same time like my clutch isnt disengaging fully. Its a very weird mixture of issues.

i changed the trans fluid, checked over the master and slave cylinders, double checked my shifter several times and even replaced the cable that runs directly from the bottom of the shifter to the trans.

upon replacing that cable it fixed my issues for 24-48 hours and less than 200 miles and the problem is back. It came back in the same manor and is progressively getting worse again.

all mods that could possibly relate to this:
Hasport 82a rmm
Clutchmasters fx350 for the stock flywheel
Clutchmasters lightened flywheel
Prl braided clutch line
Acuity full assembly short shifter

all of which have been on the car for several thousands of miles, the clutch has over 10k miles on it itself.

Does anybody have any idea what it is or could be?
Sponsored

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
so you're using unsprung clutch disc and unsprung flywheel?

iamrealskinny

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drive a 2020 civic si sedan with roughly 30k miles on it.

Okay so my trans started being weird starting on halloween night, just driving rough being very difficult in and out of gears and generally just not great. It proceeded to keep getting worse for the following days to the point i had to force first and reverse to move the car at all and double clutch and match the rpms dead on to be able to change gears and even then it wasnt smooth at all. I tried everything short of replacing the trans. It feels like driving without synchros but at the same time like my clutch isnt disengaging fully. Its a very weird mixture of issues.

i changed the trans fluid, checked over the master and slave cylinders, double checked my shifter several times and even replaced the cable that runs directly from the bottom of the shifter to the trans.

upon replacing that cable it fixed my issues for 24-48 hours and less than 200 miles and the problem is back. It came back in the same manor and is progressively getting worse again.

all mods that could possibly relate to this:
Hasport 82a rmm
Clutchmasters fx350 for the stock flywheel
Clutchmasters lightened flywheel
Prl braided clutch line
Acuity full assembly short shifter

all of which have been on the car for several thousands of miles, the clutch has over 10k miles on it itself.

Does anybody have any idea what it is or could be?
So.. you installed the version of the clutch designed for the DMF onto the Lightened flywheel?

OP
OP
Jhall.IV

Jhall.IV

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, it was a dumb mistake when ordering it that i didnt realize until i had the product in hand about to install and my clutch was slipping horrendously at that point

OP
OP
Jhall.IV

Jhall.IV

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had no issues for over 10k miles and had no chatter. The clutch holds once in gear perfectly and ive never had any issues till just recently

iamrealskinny

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had no issues for over 10k miles and had no chatter. The clutch holds once in gear perfectly and ive never had any issues till just recently
Just making sure I got this right.

So you got the wrong clutch, did you get the correct clutch before you installed it?
Or you continued to install it even though it was wrong?

I believe if you have the SMF, you should be using a sprung clutch version.

I believe that could the reason you are having this issue.

Then again I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Jhall.IV

Jhall.IV

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No i stayed with that clutch and i figured it would give me issues off the bat but not work perfectly and smooth as all hell for 10k miles and i dont understand how replacing that cable would effect it for awhile if it is the clutch/flywheel. Im not trying to be rude just to figure out my issue before i spend another 1500 and switch to yhe type r retro fit

iamrealskinny

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No i stayed with that clutch and i figured it would give me issues off the bat but not work perfectly and smooth as all hell for 10k miles and i dont understand how replacing that cable would effect it for awhile if it is the clutch/flywheel. Im not trying to be rude just to figure out my issue before i spend another 1500 and switch to yhe type r retro fit
Once again, just asking questions.
What "cable" are you talking about?

I simply asked if you put the correct "clutch" in.
For the Dual Mass Flywheel, it requires a "UNSPRUNG" clutch.
For the Single Mass Flywheel, it requires a "SPRUNG" clutch.

Now, you chose to put in the "UNSPRUNG" clutch into the transmission when you needed the "SPRUNG" version. Unless I am reading this wrong.

The way I see it, that could be causing your issues.
Then again, I could be wrong.

Clutchmasters seem to be hit or miss with 10th Gens.

Did you adjust the clutch pedal?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Sounds like the clutch isn’t fully disengaging when the pedal is depressed. If that’s the case, the synchros are gonna take a huge beating as they fight the clutch keeping the shaft spinning.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Have you gotten any check engine lights?

I would say check your sensors as well to be safe. I was having some trouble after my clutch install (unsprung clutch + dmf) and was thinking it was my clutch cables as well, but it turned out being the speed sensor breaking off a piece and going into the transmission.

Do you still have warranty?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Warranty after a clutch replacement??? Lmao. How the hell does a 2020 Si have a clutch replacement already? I have 110k (kms) on the stock clutch, tuned...

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Warranty after a clutch replacement??? Lmao. How the hell does a 2020 Si have a clutch replacement already? I have 110k (kms) on the stock clutch, tuned...
Lol technically he doesn’t have to tell the dealer the clutch was replaced. Just take it in for a diagnosis. But don’t know if that’s an option for him.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Um ya, no... they will immediately tell the clutch was replaced.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Right but if the clutch is not the issue they may fix it under warranty.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
The clutch is the issue, probably incorrect installation or set up.
Sponsored