Transmission whine at cruising steady at 43mph?

michael23301

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Type R
Hey guys, I have a 17 CTR with 1200 miles, all stock. I just have a quick question and see if you guys can test it on your car and let me know. I want to know if what I am experiencing is normal or something might be wrong.

Take your CTR and cruise steadily at 43mph on a smooth quiet road (windows up and music off). Then listen, do you hear a transmission whine? Its very apparent right at 43mph steady. Its not too loud, but you do hear it and it sounds like a high pitch transmission whine.

This is one of those things that I may have forgotten thats normal but when tuning in on it, it feels like something might be wrong. IDK. See if you guys can do this and let me know if you hear it too. If you hear it too on your CTR, then its just normal and I just forgot that it sounds like that.
Its in any gear cruising steady at 40-43mph.

Please try this for me and let me know, i am anxious to know if something is wrong or not. Tranny shifts and drives fine, this is unrelated to any lockout or crunch issues.

Please only reply if you've actually tested it out and confirmed. Thanks CTR team.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Dude! I had my dealer on a roadtrip to show them this sound to in my CTR, also I borrowed their CTR to see if they had the sound to. It didn't. Min has productionnumber 27xx something, the otherone 7xxx.

Having that said... My whiningsound is from 6th gear and is best noticeable over 100kmh (62mph). It's low and follows the RPM.
Best way to reproduce in my case is to give just a little speed, so that you maintain speed, not more not less.
The sound is low, but high pitched, and mechanical.

When I was on the Autobahn and did 100mph, it was even more noticeable.

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Nothing. The heaven opened up right before the testdrive and we got heavy rain which made to much noise. Even thou I heard the noise, he didn't.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So it's a high pitch white, but not loud sound? You wouldn't say its more like a "hum" sound?

OP
OP

michael23301

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Type R
So it's a high pitch white, but not loud sound? You wouldn't say its more like a "hum" sound?
Yeah its like a high pitch humm whine. You'd have to be in gear at 43mph and cruising steady. Try this and let me know if you hear it too? If you do, then its normal.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah its like a high pitch humm whine. You'd have to be in gear at 43mph and cruising steady. Try this and let me know if you hear it too? If you do, then its normal.
I think I'm hearing it at around 60mph.

However, I'm not stock. I have a milltek exhaust, so it muffles anything I'd hear anyway. I'm also lowered on prokit.

If I notice it for sure later after work, I'll let you know and perhaps check out the suspension this weekend.

OP
OP

michael23301

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Type R

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read this too, but not enough info on thread. I just want to see if someone with a stock CTR can test cruising steady at 43mph and see if they hear a faint whine
few more hours and I leave work, I'll let you know...but I have a milltek exhaust, lol...might miss the sound

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:
While I didn't hear a whine at that mph, I did start to hear a hum at 60mph (could also slightly feel it through the pedals).

I got under the car and just barely caught it..but there was transmission fluid leaking very slowly from the driver side axle. As I speak it is being worked on at Honda.

Check that...I honestly didn't catch it until I took off that aluminum plate under the car...there was slight build up of transmission fluid there.

I did some searching and it appears to have happened a few times on other civics (bad batch of axle seals).

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey so I am actually having some noise, but it's related to RPMs and I don't know if it's a whine or not. If I'm between 3400 to 3900 and staying constant with no acceleration or deacceleration I get this "hollow" like sound. I figured it was just vibration from that specific range because it happens in all gears regardless of speed. That or the exhuast. Never really had a car like this before. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the same thing as originally posted?

Edit* : so after watching some videos on YouTube I don't think it's a whine. My noise isn't mechanical sounding. This noise isn't as high pitch and it doesn't affect any shifting, driving, no shaking just the noise. Could it be exhuast drone ? I've never heard drone before. Basically I don't know what I don't know haha.

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it make slight pulse sound?

Or is it more of a growl?

Do you have an exhaust?

Also have you hit a curb or pot hole and maybe getting that sound on that side?
Sponsored