Transmission problem after oil change, no oil is draining back out, help needed

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I really appreciate somebody sharing a sentiment like this. I've done my own oil changes for a decade across a few civics and a motorcycle and this left me a little complacent - rather than double checking everything against the owner's manual like it was my first time, it became a routine chore of "take the big bolt at the bottom of an oil pan out, put it back in, filter off, fill new one put it on". Factor in the fact that it's been two really difficult years since I last worked on the car (given last year was the recall), having a really difficult week were I'm trying to push through a lot of anxiety to get important stuff done, and working in the dark - you end up with an error like this. I also had no idea the CVT had its own oil pan and 4 quarts of its own oil. If you asked me a week ago, I would have guessed it was some red fluid whose reservoir more resembled the brake fluid rather than an engine oil pan.

It's embarrassing to be sharing my mistakes with ya'll, I just needed a little help pushing me in the right direction to figuring out what happened. Just let me be and leave me to clean up my mess on my own.
Good luck, hope our engine and transmission are fine. I've had several embarrassing repair mistakes (not always auto related). For example, I was replacing my water heater, disconnected the gas line and broke the gas valve. Natural gas shooting into my garage. The main gas shut off valve didn't want to move freely. I had to call the gas company to fix it. I'm still hearing about this fiasco from my wife 15 years later.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Oh man, TC, I hope you can get it all sorted out. A learning experience for sure, and hopefully not a costly one! If there is one difference I know between the oil and transmission drain plugs, is that the transmission one is A LOT harder to get off. My first time getting it off took a lot out of me hahaha!