Transmission oil change through level check hole?

garudatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
991 GT3RS
Country flag
Hi folks, if I have a fluid pump, can I perform the transmission oil change through the level check hole, instead of the fill hole up top? I'm a bit lazy and want to avoid removing the airbox.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Hi folks, if I have a fluid pump, can I perform the transmission oil change through the level check hole, instead of the fill hole up top? I'm a bit lazy and want to avoid removing the airbox.
Yes just make sure the car is completely level. Fill until you see fluid seep out

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The check hole is kinda small though. It would take quite abit of time. It takes several minutes just to top off fluid using the check hole.... That is lazy, heh.

Here’s a link to my write up if interested in checking it out.

Transmission fluid change and check bolt

Last edited:
OP
OP

garudatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
991 GT3RS
Country flag
The check hole is kinda small though. It may take quite abit if time. That is lazy, heh.

Here’s a link to my write up if interested in checking it out.

Transmission fluid change and check bolt
Thanks! I've actually referenced a lot of your posts in pieces, but haven't seen the aggregated one you put together; very helpful. I got a 30cc fluid pump, so may not be too bad. I've a personal aversion to taking bits off my cars if I can avoid it.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very cool, always glad to hear my OCD ramblings are helpful to others :)

Here’s a link to a comprehensive collection of DIY mod and maintenance + a lot of other random information I’ve collected. Just scroll down the first post and there will be a table of contents with clickable links to the right of each topic, if interested:

Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R

There are also links for ECU and Airbox removal. Brands may be different but the concepts are the same ;)

Thanks! I've actually referenced a lot of your posts in pieces, but haven't seen the aggregated one you put together; very helpful. I got a 30cc fluid pump, so may not be too bad. I've a personal aversion to taking bits off my cars if I can avoid it.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Removing the air box really isn’t a big deal. I actually used the opportunity to add the prl hv intake at the same time

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Very cool, always glad to hear my OCD ramblings are helpful to others :)

Here’s a link to a comprehensive collection of DIY mod and maintenance + a lot of other random information I’ve collected. Just scroll down the first post and there will be a table of contents with clickable links to the right of each topic, if interested:

Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R

There are also links for ECU and Airbox removal. Brands may be different but the concepts are the same ;)
do we have to remove the ECU in order reach the fill hole? i m fine to remove the air box but rather stay away from touching the ecu which requires killing the power n facing the Xmas tree lightings - not fun.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends which airbox you are running. For an Eventuri and the only way to remove the side lid is to get the ECU out of the way ?

Ecu can stay, just air box

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have disconnected the battery terminals pulled the ECU so many times now, those reset lights don’t bother me... then again I’m not tuned so dunno if that wreaks havoc on something like Hondata or KTuner....

Was nerve wracking to see it cycle through all of those CELs the first time it happened, Drive a little bit, turn the car on/off and it clears.

do we have to remove the ECU in order reach the fill hole? i m fine to remove the air box but rather stay away from touching the ecu which requires killing the power n facing the Xmas tree lightings - not fun.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I guess that may make a difference, I had the stock box and changed it to prl

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
its possible if the pump you have has a small enough tip or you can fab one up at home depot with reducers but you will be pumping that fluid for quite a bit lol

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Ecu can stay, just air box
Have disconnected the battery terminals pulled the ECU so many times now, those reset lights don’t bother me... then again I’m not tuned so dunno if that wreaks havoc on something like Hondata or KTuner....

Was nerve wracking to see it cycle through all of those CELs the first time it happened, Drive a little bit, turn the car on/off and it clears.
Guys, what are the torque specs on the Fill, Check and Drain plugs?

Also, the washer for Drain plug is 14mm size (not 20mm), same as the oil drain plug, right? At least that's what my local Honda part rep told me.

Last edited:

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Guys, what are the torque specs on the Fill, Check and Drain plugs?

Also, the washer for Drain plug is 14mm size (not 20mm), same as the oil drain plug, right? At least that's what my local Honda part rep told me.

it is a 20mm crush washer. I just did my Trans fluid Saturday. The crush washer is bigger than the oil drain plug. Glad to know Honda part reps are giving out false info

Trans fill and drain plug = 32 lb ft

There is no torque spec for the 6mm so I will defer to your judgement haha

Honda Civic 10th gen Transmission oil change through level check hole? 1591743018795

Honda Civic 10th gen Transmission oil change through level check hole? 1591743104924

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
it is a 20mm crush washer. I just did my Trans fluid Saturday. The crush washer is bigger than the oil drain plug. Glad to know Honda part reps are giving out false info

Trans fill and drain plug = 32 lb ft

There is no torque spec for the 6mm so I will defer to your judgement haha

1591743018795.png

1591743104924.png

Huge Thanks - yes, the rep said that 20mm washer is for automatic only and all manuals are using 14mm same as the oil plug ones. Good that I ask on here, Thanks!!