Transmission Leak, Right Axle Seal

CW0731

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Elantra Gt, 2017 Civic Si
Driving into work yesterday, cruising at 60Mph, I give it a little gas and nothing happens. I toggle the gears; 5th, 4th back to 6th, and the car just revs. Eventually the clutch grabs and I make it into work. About two hours later (after the sun has risen), I check on my car and there is a pool of oil under the car. I have it flatbed to the dealership and they tell me its the right axle of the transmission seal leaking. Anyone have this problem? The car only has 2500 miles on it and for something like this too happen is really disheartening (I can assure, I do not beat on the car).

Of course they didn't change the clutch even though it was exposed to transmission oil. Well see if it holds up, else another trip to the dealership.
Honda Civic 10th gen Transmission Leak, Right Axle Seal oil
Honda Civic 10th gen Transmission Leak, Right Axle Seal invoice.JPG

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Heck, even if you beat on the car I doubt that would be the cause of it..

sounds like a defective part to me. Luckily, no damage was caused from the loss of fluid.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
That doesn't make sense. Transmission oil leaking at the axle seal cannot migrate up to the clutch in the bell housing... It may well have been misdiagnosed. Is your engine oil level going down? Is the clutch still slipping? Is there engine oil leaking from bottom of clutch bell housing?

It would look like this if it was an engine rear main seal leak: http://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-leaking-less-than-1000-miles.4680/

They'd have to remove the transmission if it was the transmission input shaft seal leaking transmission oil onto your clutch.

UPDATE. Took the car to the dealer today. They identified the leak as coming from the rear main seal. 1-2 days to repair.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-leak-new-si.13451/#post-250790

Last edited:
OP
OP

CW0731

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Elantra Gt, 2017 Civic Si
It was low on oil. I'm going to go under the car today, pull the protective plate and have a look myself. Naturally, the dealership was cold and dismissive even when I asked if the transmission leak explains the clutch slippage I experienced.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was low on oil. I'm going to go under the car today, pull the protective plate and have a look myself. Naturally, the dealership was cold and dismissive even when I asked if the transmission leak explains the clutch slippage I experienced.
If you are having issue with that specific dealer, don't hesitate to call Honda directly. Working for a manufacturer myself, we hold our dealers very responsible for the level of customer service they give to our customers. If you aren't happy, let Honda know.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Really no excuse for some of the major issues I've read on here.:nono:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
damn hopefully the input sjaft bearing stayed suggiciently lubed. those things are very sensitive to deficient transmission fluid levels.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
does that invoice say they put 3 quarts trans fluid in it??

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Driving into work yesterday, cruising at 60Mph, I give it a little gas and nothing happens. I toggle the gears; 5th, 4th back to 6th, and the car just revs. Eventually the clutch grabs and I make it into work. About two hours later (after the sun has risen), I check on my car and there is a pool of oil under the car. I have it flatbed to the dealership and they tell me its the right axle of the transmission seal leaking. Anyone have this problem? The car only has 2500 miles on it and for something like this too happen is really disheartening (I can assure, I do not beat on the car).

Of course they didn't change the clutch even though it was exposed to transmission oil. Well see if it holds up, else another trip to the dealership.
oil.jpg
invoice.JPG
I am sitting in the dealership now. Went in for an oil change, they noticed front left axle leaking. Warranty fix, nothing noticeable when driving- caught it early, a nd I do have almost 32,000 miles driven in AZ but still concerning. Are the seals on our SI's just not very robust? I never had a seal go out in less than two years before.

Turn10Photos

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.turn10photos.com
Vehicle(s)
FC3 Si, FK7, HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did they warranty this was your car lowered cause mine is the same issue and i only have 5600 miles
This ended up being a defective valve cover gasket (which is another common issue). I've put a couple thousand miles on since and havent had an issue.

Side note: I'm not 100% convinced it was a valve cover gasket but whatever it was, Honda resolved it for now.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I think I have the same issue. I also do not beat on this at all. 2000 miles. Eight months old

20181227_022819.jpg

20181227_022857.jpg
Did this issue ever come back? I only have 4K miles and did my first oil change today and have the same exact symptoms as your pictures. Splatter in the same area on the metal tray, splatter on the top of steering rack, and fluid on the axle seal area.

Drunkndude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It is the half shaft bearing, I had mine replaced once and I think it is bad again.