Transmission Grind / Crunch POLL

How Often Does Your Crunch / Grind Happen?

• Never

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • Once Every Few Months

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Few Times a Month

Votes: 33 14.8%
  • Few Times a Week

Votes: 44 19.7%

• Total voters

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably a bit too early but here goes:

Year: 2018
Mileage: 240 mi
Badge Number: R-12306
Frequency: never
Sponsored

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
I imagine we're going to see grinds occurring more often in cold-weather areas. 2018 with about 400 miles and no grind yet. Should note I've never been in the car when it was under 50 degrees outside.

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I imagine we're going to see grinds occurring more often in cold-weather areas. 2018 with about 400 miles and no grind yet. Should note I've never been in the car when it was under 50 degrees outside.
For reference to the post I wrote on here in regard to your temperature question, I live in Phoenix and it has been around 30 when I go to work this last winter and when I bought the car in August it was 105+.

Not saying temperature doesn't have anything to do with it, just saying it doesn't have any effect on my car this far. Hope this helps.

ThatTypeRDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R Touring
Might be too early to post, but I haven't had any grinding yet. Broke the motor in until 600 miles staying below 1/4 throttle and below 2,500 rpms at all times. Haven't had a single grind or weird noise whatsoever except for the one time when I still had the rev matching on, and shifted from 3rd to 2nd and could hear a mild rotational noise from the transmission(not a grind but still noticeable). That happened at 200 miles and immediately turned the rev matching off and haven't heard a single concerning thing since.

Keep in mind I do not use the auto rev matching on my car at all, I only had it on the one time so I could show an interested friend how it works. The one and only time it made that noise was the one and only time I used the auto rev matching feature.

Mileage: 1052 mi
Badge Number: R-11056

OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
keeping the engine below 2500 with 1/4 throttle does more harm than good. Engine needs proper load and rpm variations and heat cycles during break in. Personally i believe engines come broken in from the factory. However if you feel that paranoid, know that you can take the revs to 5k+ (just dont full throttle) and it'll be conducive to good piston ring seating.

OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
Need more votes to increase sample size which will help everyone in the community!

ThatTypeRDude

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R Touring
Updating my post. Still no grind, and switched to Honda Access shift knob, shifter feels even smoother than before. Still not using rev match feature.

Mileage: 1486 mi
Badge Number: R-11056

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Would you guys say that the ctr clutch friction point is fairly close to the floor? Feels like I have an inch of movement before I get to the friction point.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Also an alternative to the revving with the clutch pushed in, why not jack up the front wheels and see if the wheels move with the clutch pushed in? Or does the whole clutch assembly move with the clutch disengaged and move the wheels?

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
10561 miles

Grinds 1-2 shift, 4-5 shift. Locks out of 4th gear. Clutch to the floor. Any time/temperature/rpm/speed...it doesn't matter. The car has not been on the track, no burnouts, or excessive abuse.

My car has been at the dealership for 10 days, scattered in a million pieces while Honda decides when/if they will repair it, and how they will do so.

I just got word today that they are going to repair it by rebuilding the transmission, but the parts are on national back order with no ETA of when it will be fixed.

The first 7 days they spent trying to pin the problem as abuse and make me pay for the repair, even with the car disassembled and the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel proved that it was not pushed hard. No rubber transfer in the wheel wells, and no DTC's. One of the lines in an email from the dpsm to the tech read "since it is a type-r".

Corporate Honda has been giving me a run around, as well as the dpsm all together. The dealership itself however, has been phenomenal.

My problem is, rebuilding the transmission....it will be slapped together with the same parts and tolerances, therefore it will soon have the same failure without finding out what the weak link that is causing these issues thus forcing my Type-R to be in service more often than a VW or Subaru.

The transmission has been horrible, and the customer service is even worse. If you are having even a SLIGHT issue call 800--999-1009 and get a case number, then get to the dealership ASAP. Document everything in detail, write it down. Take videos. Stay on top of them and don't let up. Do not end up in my shoes. The problem only gets worse the more you put it off. I will post photos and video documentation of my experience when I have time.

Sadly, I am at a point where I am questioning whether I am going to keep it after this experience is (hopefully) over.

Last edited:

OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
10561 miles

Grinds 1-2 shift, 4-5 shift. Locks out of 4th gear. Clutch to the floor. Any time/temperature/rpm/speed...it doesn't matter. The car has not been on the track, no burnouts, or excessive abuse.

My car has been at the dealership for 10 days, scattered in a million pieces while Honda decides when/if they will repair it, and how they will do so.

I just got word today that they are going to repair it by rebuilding the transmission, but the parts are on national back order with no ETA of when it will be fixed.

The first 7 days they spent trying to pin the problem as abuse and make me pay for the repair, even with the car disassembled and the clutch/pressure plate and flywheel proved that it was not pushed hard. No rubber transfer in the wheel wells, and no DTC's. One of the lines in an email from the dpsm to the tech read "since it is a type-r".

Corporate Honda has been giving me a run around, as well as the dpsm all together. The dealership itself however, has been phenomenal.

My problem is, rebuilding the transmission....it will be slapped together with the same parts and tolerances, therefore it will soon have the same failure without finding out what the weak link that is causing these issues thus forcing my Type-R to be in service more often than a VW or Subaru.

The transmission has been horrible, and the customer service is even worse. If you are having even a SLIGHT issue call 800--999-1009 and get a case number, then get to the dealership ASAP. Document everything in detail, write it down. Take videos. Stay on top of them and don't let up. Do not end up in my shoes. The problem only gets worse the more you put it off. I will post photos and video documentation of my experience when I have time.

Sadly, I am at a point where I am questioning whether I am going to keep it after this experience is (hopefully) over.

If they won't give you a new transmission I would sue the crap out of them. Look. You have this thread where the poll shows that 50 pct are having issues. You have the other thread with 54 pages of documented issues. You have the Facebook page where countless people are experiencing issues. You have YouTube where there are at least 10 videos from different sources showing the grinds. The comments on those YouTube videos show that a ton more peopl are having the grinds. The point is at this point it doesn't take a genius to prove that there is a design flaw with the unit. Don't settl for a rebuild. They're giving you the runaround because you're maybe being soft and not aggressive enough. I wouldn't take no for an answer...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update to my previous post after driving it quite a bit more.

R-12306
1,140 miles
Frequency: Never
Auto-Revmatch feature: Enabled

Notes: Sporadically notchy shifting in all gears, most prevalent in 2nd and 4th. 5th gear seems to be difficult to shift into but that could just be my inexperience to the short throw shifter or manual in general. Higher RPM shifts at around 4.2k seem to be smoother for some gears, but notchiness just feels like I’m rolling a dice.

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
If they won't give you a new transmission I would sue the crap out of them. Look. You have this thread where the poll shows that 50 pct are having issues. You have the other thread with 54 pages of documented issues. You have the Facebook page where countless people are experiencing issues. You have YouTube where there are at least 10 videos from different sources showing the grinds. The comments on those YouTube videos show that a ton more peopl are having the grinds. The point is at this point it doesn't take a genius to prove that there is a design flaw with the unit. Don't settl for a rebuild. They're giving you the runaround because you're maybe being soft and not aggressive enough. I wouldn't take no for an answer...

I am not backing down, don’t worry. Obviously it is a major problem if there isn’t a single gear set available in the country, and that they have to contact the manufacuturer directly to find out an ETA of when parts will be in. I’m on day 11 out of 30 before it becomes a “lemon law”.

I hope anyone experiencing issues does not delay, this all started out with being notchy, then it became the random 2nd gear grind that miraculously could not be reproduced by the tech. Then it got to the point when I took it back it was so bad when the tech drove it he came back and said “this thing is fucked up”. When it starts to get worse it goes down hill fast so beware. Under normal driving conditions and stop and go traffic. As I stated, no track time or severe abuse. Can’t abuse it or race it if it won’t go into gear!

Pay a premium for the car and they think we are driving them like a 16 year old. Yeah, fuck you I don’t want to pay for the $306 a piece tires faster than I have to. I’m getting treated like the car is a couple years old at the very tail end of the warranty period when in reality I purchased in 7 months ago.

OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
Holy crap sorry to hear that - i hope you get all of this worked out. This is what i think will happen.
As people put on more miles on the car more tranny issues will arise. Seems like a lot of people are changing their choice on the poll from having little to no grinds to gradually having more frequent grinds. As more cars are sold and more tranny issues come out Honda will have no choice but to address this. Otherwise they will be hit with the biggest class action suits costing them millions. I laugh at people who have 200 miles on their cars and post "my tranny is perfect". Common sense is not so common these days i guess. Anyhoo, i hope you get a new transmission or go after them thru lemon law - this is the worst case ive seen yet.
Sponsored