Transmission Grind / Crunch POLL

How Often Does Your Crunch / Grind Happen?

• Never

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • Once Every Few Months

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Few Times a Month

Votes: 33 14.8%
  • Few Times a Week

Votes: 44 19.7%

• Total voters

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
900 miles
3 grinds so far
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
i just checked this for the first time in a few weeks. I cannot believe almost 50% of the owners are experiencing grinds. How is Honda able to get away with this? I am at loss for words...

PepsiJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
i just checked this for the first time in a few weeks. I cannot believe almost 50% of the owners are experiencing grinds. How is Honda able to get away with this? I am at loss for words...
Not that I want to play devilā€™s advocate in this situation, but there are only 110 votes cast thus far and we have badge numbers as high as 9393 represented in this thread, so only ~1% of the owners are represented here and less than half of those are reporting grind issues. So, claiming that 50% of owners are experiencing grinds is a bit hard to support.

That being said it is enough people that I think it warrants attention, and the biggest concern seems to be the lack of consistency with how itā€™s addressed from one dealer to the next.

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
You need to be able to rev all the way with the clutch down, the R goes to 3 something, my crunch it at 4-5, cant perform test

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
If thatā€™s the case, then Iā€™ll wait till I change the transmission fluid along with the engine oil at 5,000 miles, Iā€™ll update once all that is done...

mmcglasson

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru BRZ
About 600 miles
No grinding yet

But it feels notchy most the times going into 4th and sometimes 2nd gear....
Mine feels notchy going into second (sometimes). However, by notchy I just mean it isn't as smooth as butter as the other gears. By no means have I had any difficulty shifting into gear or any lockout. It is not notchy when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Is this normal? I have not had any gear grinding, though I am only at about 650miles (2018).

I just read the article regarding clutch drag and will try that this weekend. How do I turn launch control off as the Type R locks at 3k rpm.

OP
OP

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
Not that I want to play devilā€™s advocate in this situation, but there are only 110 votes cast thus far and we have badge numbers as high as 9393 represented in this thread, so only ~1% of the owners are represented here and less than half of those are reporting grind issues. So, claiming that 50% of owners are experiencing grinds is a bit hard to support.

That being said it is enough people that I think it warrants attention, and the biggest concern seems to be the lack of consistency with how itā€™s addressed from one dealer to the next.
I appreciate your feedback. However, we don't have 9,000 active members here. Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think we even have 9,000 R's in the entire U.S. yet. Either way, sample size is sample size. There may be owners out there who have no problems with their transmissions that didn't vote on this, but there also may be people who are grinding that have no idea about this forum or this thread. Obviously as the sample size gets bigger the accuracy will improve as well but we shouldn't dismiss this figure without any merit.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Mine feels notchy going into second (sometimes). However, by notchy I just mean it isn't as smooth as butter as the other gears. By no means have I had any difficulty shifting into gear or any lockout. It is not notchy when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Is this normal? I have not had any gear grinding, though I am only at about 650miles (2018).

I just read the article regarding clutch drag and will try that this weekend. How do I turn launch control off as the Type R locks at 3k rpm.
I don't want to give out false information, as I'm searching for the same thing on how to turn off launch control/rev limiter, I think we need a tune to turn them off so I'm not entirely sure.

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think its adjustable from the factory

PepsiJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I donā€™t think youā€™d want to remove the limiter; it only does it when the car isnā€™t moving. If it didnā€™t do that and you dumped the clutch at a higher RPM, you can mess up the driveline because of the power being produced and the traction of the tires.

NorcalR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv k24
Country flag
1,500-miles
grinds now on first drive in morning;s when trans cold 1-st to 2nd's notchy & grinds 3rd& 4th and wouldn't go into reverse its like clutch isn't engaged all the way

Last edited:

PepsiJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
1,500-miles
grinds now on first drive in morning;s when trans cold 1-st to 2nd's notchy & grinds 3rd& 4th and wouldnt go into reverse -
did a fluid change help anybody ?
Funny; our cars are the same color and 10 numbers apart.

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
No grinding or any transmission issues

2017 CTR Rallye Red
R-02752
~8000 miles
Stock fluids

Not one problem with the car except for a real nasty dash rattle on the driver's side which was fixed by the dealer under warranty.
Sponsored