Transmission Fluid Change

ZenXae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy a 2016 or 2017 Honda Civic Sedan but through my recent research on transmission fluid changes and its intervals. I was wondering at what certain mileage do you think it would be too late to change it. For example, I saw a 2016 Honda Civic have 51k miles, from what I know when it comes to a CVT transmission, it should be changed at intervals of 30k miles. Would 50k, 60k, or even 70k be too late to change it for the first time? I appreciate all responses and welcome any tips on other proper maintenances for this type of car.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I wouldn't buy a car that hadn't had a transmission fluid change for more than 50K. I change mine every 30K.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Its never too late to change it, that's just nonsense,

That is like saying, you have not been to the dentist to have your teeth cleaned for 5 years, so why should you bother going now?
I think the question is whether you would want to buy a car that hasn't had a transmission fluid change after that long.

Xerocide

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2006 Mazdaspeed6
I would agree that it's not too late to change the CVT fluid at those higher mileages. 60k+ is probably pushing it for me personally though.

TurbSi

First Name
Zdravko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport (6MT)
Country flag
That isn't awful if its @ 40-50K. If anything ask for it to be done whenever you purchase / have them pay for it during your first service. CVTs are a little more forgiving than say the 8-10Speed transmissions Honda uses now in the Pilots and such. Those are very finicky and is key to have those done as frequent as 30k intervals.

OP
OP

ZenXae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic
Country flag
I appreciate all of your guys responses!
Sponsored