Transmission fluid change on a 2018 honda civic

macher52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
Country flag
I've done it 3 times now. The first time took me a couple of hours. This last time took me an hour since I already knew what tools I needed and I didn't need to figure out what to do. I have the PDFs for the service manual if you want. Just need to know if manual or CVT trans
By doing it yourself does that void the warranty or extended warranty though?
Sponsored

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
By doing it yourself does that void the warranty or extended warranty though?
Haha no. There was a huge lawsuit many years ago (see the Magnusson-Moss Act) that resulted in manufacturers being unable to require vehicles to be serviced at dealerships in order to maintain warranty.

However, you have to be able to perform service correctly (and keep receipts/records of work you performed). If you do something wrong that could easily void the warranty.

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
I've done it 3 times now. The first time took me a couple of hours. This last time took me an hour since I already knew what tools I needed and I didn't need to figure out what to do. I have the PDFs for the service manual if you want. Just need to know if manual or CVT trans
Hi can you pm me the manual. I have a 2017 civoc ex, I assume it is the same procedure. Thank you.

Or if anyone else has a link that be great.

Blue civic sport

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic sport sedan
Country flag
I'd like to see the PDF for CVT transmissions

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
My car sees about 90% city miles, so I decided to change the CVT fluid at 30k. There was a tinge of darkness, but nothing suggesting the fluid was burn or what have you. I replaced the fluid with the OEM Honda stuff. Years ago, I used an aftermarket fluid in my Nissan AT, and it never shifted properly after that. Count me as someone that (now) doesn't believe in tempting fate relative to using aftermarket transmission fluid. I'll also say that a 30k change interval isn't necessary, unless, maybe, like me, all your miles are city miles.

Time4boost

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic coupe ex-t
Country flag
I have a cvt. I was wondering if I change the filter in the engine bay, do I need to do a 2nd drain & fill? Or is changing that filter not necessary?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Just my opinion, but I'd wait until about 80k before going after the filters... (there are two.)

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
If its a manual its an easy DIY, if its an automatic usually let a service center do it.
Changing the fluid in my CVT was dead easy. Why pay someone else 2 or 3x the money? The hardest part was lifting the car.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
??? What are you trying to suggest? That I didn't change my own CVT fluid? Tons of guys here have done it themselves. I'm but one of many.
You said the hardest part was "lifting the vehicle" - he made a joke about you not "lifting the vehicle" by yourself (with no jack etc) It was a joke.

ScottUKDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport, '21 e advance, '00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Country flag
I changed the CVT fluid myself. Luckily I was able to use a ramp to perform the change for a fee of £25 for an hour. It made the job a little easier. I was able to get the fluid for £40 , official Honda fluid only.

Jacking up the car on the drive way is a complete pain. the front jacking point is so far back on the rear of the front subframe you cannot use a jack by itself. I have to lift the vehicle with 2x scissor jacks on the front sill jacking points. Then slide the trolley jack so far under the car it is completely under the car (handle too), then jack it up little by little (as there is no clearance for the handle).

once its up I can swap the scissor jacks for axel stands, and get the undertray off. If you can do an oil/filter change you can do the CVT change with some confidence and preparation.

UK civic sport is very low at the front, even low profile ramps are not helpful.

If your not competent then get a dealer to do it. No special tools needed, just a funnel and some pipe to aid the filling process. Car did feel smoother with respect to idle and pulling off. Cant say I felt much difference in 'shifting'.

Car isn't even on 60k miles yet, but I'm sure the CVT fluid was changed at the dealer at one service, and changed by myself also when the variable service reminder gave me the code. so if the car tells me to change it, I'll change it. Currently that looks like somewhere between every 20 and 30k miles. Car generally does a reasonable commute each journey (2x 20miles daily), and rarely does any short journeys, and plenty of longer ones (100mile +). I realise that's not much compared to US mileage but its by no means 'short and frequent' that would suggest a shorter interval. Perhaps the variable service reminder is just there to make money for honda dealerships. Perhaps they even hack it before they deliver it so it comes on more often for them.

loving the Honda e service schedule, brake fluid every 2 years, and transmission oil every 5 years, ands thats about it!
Sponsored