Traffic driving dynamics

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
So this problem was so bad in the Si that you didn't buy it, but waiting for Type R? You really think CTR will have a smoother first gear?
Not but at least I will have 300HP and much more awesome car performance wise. haha
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
He probably just wants the CTR more for bragging reasons :p I had the option to buy the 370. 2015 with 8k kms on the clock half of what I paid for the Si in mint condition. Hated the looks and the paddles. Be prepared to pay at the gas station v6 engine rear wheel with 300+ whp lol. I wouldn't be able to keep my foot of the gas. 350z looks over the 70z all day long
I've always been used to getting 18-25 MPG on all of my previous cars.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Okay so I've had my Si for 3 weeks now and currently clocking right around 1330 miles, still getting to know her a bit. I took it to work for the first time a few days ago and on my way back got stuck in pretty slow stop and go traffic which required a lot of first gear crawling paces. I did notice that my car seems to "surge" a lot in first gear, in layman's terms, a lot of "herky jerky" movements when crawling in first. It seems to really not like being in that gear at those slow speeds. Now coming from a 2015 naturally aspirated Si I didn't have that issue being in first gear in stop and go traffic (maybe a little but very manageable and not at all this bad), so I wonder if its normal and just the turbo engine being a turbo engine (first turbo car). Does anybody else experience this mostly first gear, and sometimes second gear herky jerky movements at slow traffic-like speeds?
I like herky jerky, reminds me of Tourettes Syndrome that Chris Jackson had before he renamed himself Mahmoud Abdul Rauf!! No, no but seriously, I think it helps me keep other drivers from figuring me out.

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
1st gear is short in this car.. Driving in first gear is going to feel jerky. Chill in 2nd until it's ready to stall

LazySage

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
1st gear is short in this car.. Driving in first gear is going to feel jerky. Chill in 2nd until it's ready to stall
Agree wholeheartedly. I hate 1st in this car. In traffic from a stop I have to shift at 3000 rpms just to keep folks off of me.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
No issues in first gear. Or the transition to 2nd.
Try raising your seat a little higher.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I live in Toronto so I am in traffic every workday.
I learned here that in 1st gear, the car will go 6 KMH with no clutch and gas. Then in 2nd gear, it will maintain speed at 10 KMH. I use this a lot in traffic.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have been blipping the throttle (like I would when rev matching down shifts) before letting go of the clutch. That has made the transition so much smoother.

But would that be considered as an “incorrect” way of driving a manual?

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you to everyone in this thread who recommended medium throttle padding! Just reflashed (19.5, throttle response II, rev hang delete, medium padding) and took a quick little joyride. Getting into 1st is super easy now. If I could just get used to the ever-present hang from 1st to 2nd I'd feel like a pro.

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I live in Toronto so I am in traffic every workday.
I learned here that in 1st gear, the car will go 6 KMH with no clutch and gas. Then in 2nd gear, it will maintain speed at 10 KMH. I use this a lot in traffic.
This is exactly what I do in traffic. I also coast a lot when traffic is slowing down.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
My wife's 08 civic EX has this problem really bad, I find my Si very smooth in first by comparison. Is it really that bad to use the clutch to ease into first? I learned stick from my wife and from Matt Farah's vids, both seem to say to take it really slow coming off the clutch in 1st, and also like another poster said above that you should basically use the clutch to regular speed when reversing. I thought clutch slipping was when you put serious power down when you were at/around the bite point.
Sponsored