Trading in my Type R for a Hybrid , The dealer offered me...

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been playing with the idea for while now to trade my car in for a cheaper car to help facilitate faster savings with a down payment for a house. That dam 20% is killing me !! Anyways I have a 2018 Black type R that I have owned now for 1.8 years. I do love the car but I generally drive the car nice and easy. My dealer offered me 31500 for the car and it has 17500 miles. I paid MSRP so that was nice indeed. Been looking at a 2020 insight touring . I drove it the other day and it was nice and I would love to get better MPG. With my type R on the highway with a new full tank I can hit 35 quite easily . I mostly drive in the city and live close to work so I average about 26-28 depending on the weather. I only owe 23000 on the car so I would be able to almost cut the car payment in half depending on which trim I get. I'm leaning on the touring , dam expensive taste. I do love the car but miss the NA meters . My last car was a AP2 S2000 2005 which I owned for almost 8 years. These turbos car just don't feel the same and hard to explain in some ways aren't as much fun. Anyways anyone drove the Honda 2020 or 19 insight? I would love to get 55mpg.

Alright y'all have a good night.

Honda Civic 10th gen Trading in my Type R for a Hybrid , The dealer offered me... 20190808_144704

Honda Civic 10th gen Trading in my Type R for a Hybrid , The dealer offered me... 11505900.JPG

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've been playing with the idea for while now to trade my car in for a cheaper car to help facilitate faster savings with a down payment for a house. That dam 20% is killing me !! Anyways I have a 2018 Black type R that I have owned now for 1.8 years. I do love the car but I generally drive the car nice and easy. My dealer offered me 31500 for the car and it has 17500 miles. I paid MSRP so that was nice indeed. Been looking at a 2020 insight touring . I drove it the other day and it was nice and I would love to get better MPG. With my type R on the highway with a new full tank I can hit 35 quite easily . I mostly drive in the city and live close to work so I average about 26-28 depending on the weather. I only owe 23000 on the car so I would be able to almost cut the car payment in half depending on which trim I get. I'm leaning on the touring , dam expensive taste. I do love the car but miss the NA meters . My last car was a AP2 S2000 2005 which I owned for almost 8 years. These turbos car just don't feel the same and hard to explain in some ways aren't as much fun. Anyways anyone drove the Honda 2020 or 19 insight? I would love to get 55mpg.

Alright y'all have a good night.

20190808_144704.jpg

11505900.JPG
Are you selling due to financial reasons, fuel economy, or both? If purely financial (not mileage related), you could downsize to something like a Veloster N, it gets about the same gas mileage and the pricing is around 28k (if you can find it), gives you about 90% of the CTR performance in a 28k price range). If it is mileage related you can always also take a compromise. Something like an Si which gets 26/36 (31 combined) which would still be about 25% better economy.

It's also interesting to see the the Insight gets 55/49/52 MPG while the Insight Touring gets 51/45/48 MPG (about 8% difference. Though with something like an Insight you also get away with using regular gasoline vs premium, and there is a lot of savings there too.

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
Are you selling due to financial reasons, fuel economy, or both? If purely financial (not mileage related), you could downsize to something like a Veloster N, it gets about the same gas mileage and the pricing is around 28k (if you can find it), gives you about 90% of the CTR performance in a 28k price range). If it is mileage related you can always also take a compromise. Something like an Si which gets 26/36 (31 combined) which would still be about 25% better economy.

It's also interesting to see the the Insight gets 55/49/52 MPG while the Insight Touring gets 51/45/48 MPG (about 8% difference. Though with something like an Insight you also get away with using regular gasoline vs premium, and there is a lot of savings there too.
Mostly just so I can save a bigger chuck of money per month. My. current payment is 500 and with insight touring I would be at 330 plus about 30 a month cheaper insurance with also cheaper gas. I do again love my type r but I think I would rather own a house than own a type r. The insight touring gets less MPG because it has 17's vs 16's on the ex lx. I'm going to go for another longer test drive in the next few weeks to make sure. Thinking about getting the ivory interior !! Its funny most of the time I drive my type R I am playing the game how good MPG can I get this tank!! This last tank I hit 31.4 for the tank during winter .If I got the ex I would be at like 275 a month but I would like the touring model for sure. Dam expensive taste I have hahah Still playing with this idea haha . Thanks for the reply :)

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
If you owe $23k - and if you got a 5yr note - you are almost at the 3yr mark. That being said - how long would you be paying on the Insight. Like someone mentioned - there are other cheaper options out there that will offer some fun driving experiences if it’s about cutting your debt etc. Veloster N and even a GTI is something I would add to the list - they both offer hatchback utility and fun factors - especially if you sligthly mod the GTI.
If its really about saving money - i would look at a used Civic SI or a used car in general that you can have PIF within 12mo so the extra savings would go toward a house payment.

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
The touring gets less because of it's 17" wheels vs the EX/LX's 16". I have a 2019 Touring. The interior feels a lot better quality than the Civics I've seen, and the head unit is more like the Accords. It gets amazing mileage if you drive it gently in the city, but if you push it over 70 on the highway, your mpg drops off precipitously. The engine rpm is almost completely decoupled from the speed of the car, which may sound weird and annoying to you, especially uphill. Decent car so far though.

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you owe $23k - and if you got a 5yr note - you are almost at the 3yr mark. That being said - how long would you be paying on the Insight. Like someone mentioned - there are other cheaper options out there that will offer some fun driving experiences if it’s about cutting your debt etc. Veloster N and even a GTI is something I would add to the list - they both offer hatchback utility and fun factors - especially if you sligthly mod the GTI.
If its really about saving money - i would look at a used Civic SI or a used car in general that you can have PIF within 12mo so the extra savings would go toward a house payment.
I refinanced so I'm at around 4.4 years left on the note till its all mine. I think I would have to stay with Honda. Had such good luck with them. That extra 160 a month I would save would really help with the down payment in about 3-4 years . With the insight I would be looking at a 6 year time frame to pay it off. I drive my type R like a hybrid car most the time so thats my thought on why to get a hybrid.

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
The touring gets less because of it's 17" wheels vs the EX/LX's 16". I have a 2019 Touring. The interior feels a lot better quality than the Civics I've seen, and the head unit is more like the Accords. It gets amazing mileage if you drive it gently in the city, but if you push it over 70 on the highway, your mpg drops off precipitously. The engine rpm is almost completely decoupled from the speed of the car, which may sound weird and annoying to you, especially uphill. Decent car so far though.
Yea I've watched a dozen reviews on youtube. I did take it on a short test drive a few weeks ago but I really need to drive it again but for longer to really feel the car out. I haven't had an automatic car since I was a teenager and i'am almost 40 hahah

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If saving for a house, I'd drop the CTR pronto and lease something in the neighborhood of $150/month. Or buy a 5-year-old econobox outright. Buying that house while interest rates are still low should be priority one in your case. Good luck!

https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/best-lease-deals

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Yea I've watched a dozen reviews on youtube. I did take it on a short test drive a few weeks ago but I really need to drive it again but for longer to really feel the car out. I haven't had an automatic car since I was a teenager and i'am almost 40 hahah
Hybrids are slightly more interesting than an automatic, since you can kind of control when the battery takes over by lifting your foot off the clutch. I enjoy the car, it's definitely going to be a big change from the CTR.

The Honda Sensing suite is a big hyperactive for my taste though.

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
If saving for a house, I'd drop the CTR pronto and lease something in the neighborhood of $150/month. Or buy a 5-year-old econobox outright. Buying that house while interest rates are still low should be priority one in your case. Good luck!

Thanks , Yes I've been saving about 300 a month already so another 160 to that would put me at almost 500 but still need to save for at least 3 years give or take a few months. I used to drive my s2000 somewhat hard but dam do I baby this type r haha . Another thing to add is i'am sober for over 3 months straight and I feel like I'm less rushed and I drive a lot more relaxed so thinking a Honda hybrid would be nice. I wish I had cheaper taste and could get the ex but dammit I want the moonroof and heated seats !! I really think I might pull the trigger some time next month. I was surprised the Honda dealership offered me 31500 for my type r with 17500 miles. But she's in great shape and driven like a baby 95% of the time. Dam am I getting old or something !!!

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hybrids are slightly more interesting than an automatic, since you can kind of control when the battery takes over by lifting your foot off the clutch. I enjoy the car, it's definitely going to be a big change from the CTR.

The Honda Sensing suite is a big hyperactive for my taste though.
Yea I think I would turn off the automatic braking thing for sure but might keep the lane thing on who knows. I am a driver so really don't need that crap. I miss having an automatic start though. I had that on my manual 2003 Honda Civic ex and that was nice to have in the winter time. I work the night shift so we get lots of dew and snow and sucks leaving in the morning when the car is frozen over.

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would also plan on keeping this next car for at least 10 years . That was the plan with the type R . Love the huge hatchback and how functional it is space wise. It really is a great daily driver.

OP
OP
lid6662

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag

I've never really considered leasing . I do like the idea of not having to drive the same for for 5-6 years and only having to put down lets say for a ILX Acura 2800 down with a payment of 219. Not bad at all. I could save more cash this way. I take great care of my cars and always park In the back of the lot. Hmmm So much to consider !!

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Option 1) Keep your FK8. Taking a depreciation hit from trading and getting another new car is much worse in the long run. Plus the hybrid will fall out of a tree in value unlike your Type R.

Option 2) If the payment is the issue, you have too much car. You don’t drive enough annual miles for mpg to be a financial issue. Get over your “expensive car taste” and pay cash for a cheaper car with the equity in the Type R.

A single payment PMI based on 10% down financed over term in a traditional loan is like $2000 on a $350k home maximum.

In a few years, you’ll be way over 20% of value due to appreciation of the home in the market over time.

Forcing yourself to put 20% down on your first home is going to cost you lots more in the long run. Stop renting now.

Last edited:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I refinanced so I'm at around 4.4 years left on the note till its all mine. I think I would have to stay with Honda. Had such good luck with them. That extra 160 a month I would save would really help with the down payment in about 3-4 years . With the insight I would be looking at a 6 year time frame to pay it off. I drive my type R like a hybrid car most the time so thats my thought on why to get a hybrid.
Houses are appreciating much faster than the $160 a month you're trying to save. That makes no sense to wait 3-4 years if thats all you're saving. You'll be even further behind, and your down payment will be less (percentage wise) than it is now. You dont think the house you're looking at will cost over $6000 more in 3-4 years? You're going to save $6k and the house is going to be $25k more than it is today lol. You need to rethink your strategy.
Sponsored

Last edited: