Traded in the Si for a new GTI

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Enjoy your gti. I, myself, also traded in my 16 civic for a gti autobahn last year. Best decision ever haha.

Switch to sport mode and you got yourself a different car.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Now's the time! The mk8 is kinda ugly looking, last chance to get a new mk7.5 (at least that's how I justified it to myself)
Neah MK8 doesn't look that different. I'd wait a bit longer to get the MK8. More power and digital cockpit. Win, win. At least 2021 GTI get wireless AA. :bow:

If the MK8 Golf R comes with manual and a roof, I'm def upgrading if I still employed. That or the upcoming Toyota hot hatch, new WRX, or the next Si if Honda put the 2.0T in it, or the next Type-R if Honda downgrades its wheels to 19"

RyzenShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport
Country flag
Haven't been super active here lately but just wanted to say thanks a ton to this great community (and @charleswrivers in particular for being so willing to share his knowledge with us.) I traded in my 2017 Si Sedan for a new 2021 GTI Autobahn DSG. The Si is a great car but after a few years and with some money to burn I wanted to upgrade to something a little more luxe and also really wanted a hatchback. The GTI has been great so far for the short time I've had it. It feels faster stock than my TSP Stage 1 Civic (probably in no small part due to a DSG being much better at shifting gears than me) and it's a big jump up in comfort. It's a little less planted in tight turns than the Civic, but I knew that would be the case going into it. The big complaints I had about the Civic (garbage infotainment, uncomfortable passenger seat, crappy visibility, not being a hatchback) are all taken care of here. Basically I'm a cranky old man and wanted something a little softer while still staying in the sporty category and I got it in this car. Never owned a VW before so now we get to see if all those reliability jokes are true (although knowing myself it'll be gone inside of five years anyways!)

Anyway, thanks everyone and maybe see you again down the road if Honda makes a sweet hot hatch

Old car:
dlspue3.png

New car:
J77Kwoe.jpg
Wow, very nice GTi you got. I have a ‘17 civic hatch and While I still love it, it’s not without some of the common problems: The paint, problematic AC, and buggy infotainment.
vw sure makes a gorgeous hatch and I like the blue. Nice choice

jian9007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Neah MK8 doesn't look that different. I'd wait a bit longer to get the MK8. More power and digital cockpit. Win, win. At least 2021 GTI get wireless AA. :bow:

If the MK8 Golf R comes with manual and a roof, I'm def upgrading if I still employed. That or the upcoming Toyota hot hatch, new WRX, or the next Si if Honda put the 2.0T in it, or the next Type-R if Honda downgrades its wheels to 19"
US model of the MK8 is the only one getting a manual option, and it will also have a sunroof (and nappa leather), so it will definitely be a contender. Will come in three colors here in the US; black pearl, white and Lapis Blue (my personal fave of the three). New Si will likely be tuned to produce a bit more HP but still continue with the 1.5L (of course I REALLY want the 2.0L from the Type R, even if it's a de-tuned version). Hopefully they'll at least update the clutch for the new Si, since the 10th gen ones can not hold that much extra HP/torque.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
US model of the MK8 is the only one getting a manual option, and it will also have a sunroof (and nappa leather), so it will definitely be a contender. Will come in three colors here in the US; black pearl, white and Lapis Blue (my personal fave of the three).
Source?

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Congratulations on your new GTI. I love the blue color and rims. Besides my '18 Si, I also own '08 Jetta S and enjoy VW.

Was trying to get my wife the new '19 Jetta GLI Autobahn, but there were lack of Lease Deals.

Have fun with your GTI!:)

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch & 2018 Civic EX
Country flag
Haven't been super active here lately but just wanted to say thanks a ton to this great community (and @charleswrivers in particular for being so willing to share his knowledge with us.) I traded in my 2017 Si Sedan for a new 2021 GTI Autobahn DSG. The Si is a great car but after a few years and with some money to burn I wanted to upgrade to something a little more luxe and also really wanted a hatchback. The GTI has been great so far for the short time I've had it. It feels faster stock than my TSP Stage 1 Civic (probably in no small part due to a DSG being much better at shifting gears than me) and it's a big jump up in comfort. It's a little less planted in tight turns than the Civic, but I knew that would be the case going into it. The big complaints I had about the Civic (garbage infotainment, uncomfortable passenger seat, crappy visibility, not being a hatchback) are all taken care of here. Basically I'm a cranky old man and wanted something a little softer while still staying in the sporty category and I got it in this car. Never owned a VW before so now we get to see if all those reliability jokes are true (although knowing myself it'll be gone inside of five years anyways!)

Anyway, thanks everyone and maybe see you again down the road if Honda makes a sweet hot hatch

Old car:
dlspue3.png

New car:
J77Kwoe.jpg
lol I recognized this car right away! Im the one with the blue hatch who bought your ktuner :p

Small world! Hope you are enjoying your new ride

OP
OP

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
lol I recognized this car right away! Im the one with the blue hatch who bought your ktuner :p

Small world! Hope you are enjoying your new ride
Ayyy! Loving it! How's the ktuner treating you?

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ayyy! Loving it! How's the ktuner treating you?
That's what I like to hear lol! Loving the ktuner. Just running the starter dual map and still deciding if I want a TSP or to continue using the base maps. The car feels like a whole different car and has made driving a lot more enjoyable when you need the power. Trying to enjoy the extra power while keeping the cvt safe.

You need to update us when you decide to mod your new toy!

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you happen to xpel your GTI?

OP
OP

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you happen to xpel your GTI?
Nope, still thinking about it. The problem with buying a car towards the top of your budget is it doesn't leave much money for all that kind of stuff :)

XxTeexX

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nope, still thinking about it. The problem with buying a car towards the top of your budget is it doesn't leave much money for all that kind of stuff :)
That makes perfect sense. I guess someone around got the same car as you ! Noticed the guy I go to just did your exact car and I thought it was you :p

Hope all is good and your enjoying the ride

Honda Civic 10th gen Traded in the Si for a new GTI BD711973-5799-4ABB-936A-20F7F137DD2F

OP
OP

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh nice! Nope, not me. There's a couple cornflower blue GTIs running around here, I've seen at least one other one in Hamilton.

slowRthanU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 civic hatch
Country flag
I haven't taken a lot of pics yet but the colour is Cornflower Blue. I think it was special for the rabbit edition originally but they kept it for the Autobahn for this year (Autobahn is now the only trim you can get as they're finishing out the Mk7.5 and getting ready for the Mk8). The Fender audio is waaay better than the Honda 450-watt. 90% of the time I'm just listening to podcasts in my car but I'm probably going to switch it up and listen to music again now that I have a good sounding stereo. And yeah the mk8 being kinda ugly and having everything as a touch interface made me want to get a Mk7.5. Plus the Mk7/7.5 seems to be a well-built car that people are really happy with, whereas who knows what you're getting into with a whole new generation.

It's about a $10k difference but like I said, I was looking for something more luxe. For $10k I would gain hrsprs and handling but I'd lose stop&go ACC, wireless carplay, leather interior, power seat adjustment, parking sensors, actual blindspot monitors (I hate lanewatch), and I'd be back on the inferior Civic infotainment. Plus the way the roads are around here I'd have to swap out the wheels immediately. And beyond that I just don't really like the styling on the Type R. I'm not a big wing guy. If I was gonna buy a car in that ~300hp hot hatch segment I'd get the Golf R.
All you have to do is add a downpipe and tune and you have your 300 my guy. Enjoy it! I miss my mk7 gti it was a torque monster!
Sponsored