Traded in the Si for a new GTI

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
Haven't been super active here lately but just wanted to say thanks a ton to this great community (and @charleswrivers in particular for being so willing to share his knowledge with us.) I traded in my 2017 Si Sedan for a new 2021 GTI Autobahn DSG. The Si is a great car but after a few years and with some money to burn I wanted to upgrade to something a little more luxe and also really wanted a hatchback. The GTI has been great so far for the short time I've had it. It feels faster stock than my TSP Stage 1 Civic (probably in no small part due to a DSG being much better at shifting gears than me) and it's a big jump up in comfort. It's a little less planted in tight turns than the Civic, but I knew that would be the case going into it. The big complaints I had about the Civic (garbage infotainment, uncomfortable passenger seat, crappy visibility, not being a hatchback) are all taken care of here. Basically I'm a cranky old man and wanted something a little softer while still staying in the sporty category and I got it in this car. Never owned a VW before so now we get to see if all those reliability jokes are true (although knowing myself it'll be gone inside of five years anyways!)

Anyway, thanks everyone and maybe see you again down the road if Honda makes a sweet hot hatch

Old car:
Honda Civic 10th gen Traded in the Si for a new GTI dlspue3

New car:
Honda Civic 10th gen Traded in the Si for a new GTI J77Kwoe

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats! Looks sweet. That color is a trip. My buddy has a new GTI and he let me drive it. I had a blast!! It was just as fun, if not more fun than my civic hatch sport. It certainly helped that his was a 6MT and mine is not. Take care!

OP
OP

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol it's almost as if Honda makes the fastest hot hatch.
Considered it, it's a loooot of money to spend on what would ultimately be a a ton of fun but a pretty poor daily driver in southern ontario. Plus I'm not dropping $50k CAD to drive away with the same shitty infotainment!

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Considered it, it's a loooot of money to spend on what would ultimately be Plus I'm not dropping $50k CAD to drive away with the same shitty infotainment!
I keep hearing this but I love mine in the Civic. Glad you like the new whip tho, I love that color

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the new wheels! One of these days I’d love to get a GTI. Thanks for the shout out and I’ll just say that much of what I’ve learned over the years about cars was from good folks on forums even way back in the 1900s. I’m happy to be one soul lumped into a huge number of people who share what we can for the betterment of the car community.

Give us an update sometime down the road on the GTI! I was close to trading out of the Civic about 6 months back and that particular car (A CTS V-Sport) had so many issues despite being a 3 or 4 year old CPO that I had to pass and I decided the car itself (even had it been perfect) was in some ways a worse fit for me.The car bug has cooled a little since then with other interests and work being crazy busy (I’m not very active on the forums these days). I still check in now and then and this was a pleasant surprise. Take care!:thumbsup:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I don't think that color is available in the US, can you post more pics?

I sort of regret not pouncing on a 2019 GTI when they were $8k off around here, $27k w/ Fender audio and DCC was a steal. Maybe I'll look at a mk8 R now that they can do snow drifting, lol.

congrats on the GTI, and I think yours looks better than the Mk 8.

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
Love the new wheels! One of these days I’d love to get a GTI. Thanks for the shout out and I’ll just say that much of what I’ve learned over the years about cars was from good folks on forums even way back in the 1900s. I’m happy to be one soul lumped into a huge number of people who share what we can for the betterment of the car community.

Give us an update sometime down the road on the GTI! I was close to trading out of the Civic about 6 months back and that particular car (A CTS V-Sport) had so many issues despite being a 3 or 4 year old CPO that I had to pass and I decided the car itself (even had it been perfect) was in some ways a worse fit for me.The car bug has cooled a little since then with other interests and work being crazy busy (I’m not very active on the forums these days). I still check in now and then and this was a pleasant surprise. Take care!:thumbsup:
Dude I just bought an ATS-V over Christmas. I haven't got to test a CTS-V but if it's anything like this or better you should have!

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
Haven't been super active here lately but just wanted to say thanks a ton to this great community (and @charleswrivers in particular for being so willing to share his knowledge with us.) I traded in my 2017 Si Sedan for a new 2021 GTI Autobahn DSG. The Si is a great car but after a few years and with some money to burn I wanted to upgrade to something a little more luxe and also really wanted a hatchback. The GTI has been great so far for the short time I've had it. It feels faster stock than my TSP Stage 1 Civic (probably in no small part due to a DSG being much better at shifting gears than me) and it's a big jump up in comfort. It's a little less planted in tight turns than the Civic, but I knew that would be the case going into it. The big complaints I had about the Civic (garbage infotainment, uncomfortable passenger seat, crappy visibility, not being a hatchback) are all taken care of here. Basically I'm a cranky old man and wanted something a little softer while still staying in the sporty category and I got it in this car. Never owned a VW before so now we get to see if all those reliability jokes are true (although knowing myself it'll be gone inside of five years anyways!)

Anyway, thanks everyone and maybe see you again down the road if Honda makes a sweet hot hatch

Old car:
dlspue3.png

New car:
J77Kwoe.jpg
Isn't the Audubon version close to the CTR cost?

0percentapr

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

I sort of regret not pouncing on a 2019 GTI when they were $8k off around here, $27k w/ Fender audio and DCC was a steal. Maybe I'll look at a mk8 R now that they can do snow drifting, lol.

That color is a special on the rabbit edition, only one year.

OP
OP

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I haven't taken a lot of pics yet but the colour is Cornflower Blue. I think it was special for the rabbit edition originally but they kept it for the Autobahn for this year (Autobahn is now the only trim you can get as they're finishing out the Mk7.5 and getting ready for the Mk8). The Fender audio is waaay better than the Honda 450-watt. 90% of the time I'm just listening to podcasts in my car but I'm probably going to switch it up and listen to music again now that I have a good sounding stereo. And yeah the mk8 being kinda ugly and having everything as a touch interface made me want to get a Mk7.5. Plus the Mk7/7.5 seems to be a well-built car that people are really happy with, whereas who knows what you're getting into with a whole new generation.

Isn't the Audubon version close to the CTR cost?
It's about a $10k difference but like I said, I was looking for something more luxe. For $10k I would gain hrsprs and handling but I'd lose stop&go ACC, wireless carplay, leather interior, power seat adjustment, parking sensors, actual blindspot monitors (I hate lanewatch), and I'd be back on the inferior Civic infotainment. Plus the way the roads are around here I'd have to swap out the wheels immediately. And beyond that I just don't really like the styling on the Type R. I'm not a big wing guy. If I was gonna buy a car in that ~300hp hot hatch segment I'd get the Golf R.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
That’s a very reasonable swap considering your wants and needs in a car. The GTI is definitely the better touring vehicle compared to the Si with all the additional driver amenities. Looks pretty dang cool too! I had an 09 GTI back when they were new and did quite a few mods to it. No real troubles but did have to take it in for a TSB once due to a CEL that kept getting thrown. Beyond that, good reliable fun car.

Regarding your comments on the R, I also was put off by the subjective styling. However, after driving it 500 miles back home and a little bit of city driving since then, I have to say, this car is an engineers wet dream. It does everything so very well and I totally forget what it looks like when I’m driving it. 500 miles in it was a piece of cake. Hell I could have kept going had I not been awake for the past 24 hours. It is pretty apparent why the R costs nearly twice the price of the Si. You could almost say it is twice the car. Crazy to say that because the Si is already an amazing performer to begin with.
Sponsored