Traded in Black CTR for a STI Type RA ?

CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRZ,S2000,CTR,PASSPORT
Country flag
I was at Bertera Subaru in Hartford, CT this past weekend helping a buddy get a new vehicle.

They had a Black CTR For sale. They said the owner traded it in for a TYPE RA Sti.

I asked how much they gave him for the trade in, and they told me approx $25k. Unsure if this is true but if it is- what a waste of money. I'm sure there would be a handful of people on here who would have paid $MSRP for a car with less than 4K miles on it. I forget which number it was but it was under 1000.

Anyone interested in a used Black CTR you may be able to get it for a good price. I'm not sure what they were asking for it.

https://www.berteramotors.com/used/...70a0e0a170ad74995f8fee1f7.htm?searchDepth=6:7

Was it anyone on here? I'm curious to see what they really took the trade in on for.
Sponsored

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
There’s some poor choices made on this planet... those rims and that trade in are just examples of some of them lol

Heard a great story of a guy buying a CTR never driving a manual before. Stalling the entire way out of the dealership... then! He trades it in for an Si later on... sigh.

Why?

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
There’s some poor choices made on this planet... those rims and that trade in are just examples of some of them lol

Heard a great story of a guy buying a CTR never driving a manual before. Stalling the entire way out of the dealership... then! He trades it in for an Si later on... sigh.

Why?
If you read through this forum there is a large percentage of owners who have never driven manual before. I applaud them for not giving in to auto tragic.....

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag

Why?
There was a blue one on this forum . Owner traded it for Si because tires are expensive lol.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I have zero issue with learning a manual for the first time on the CTR... I should correct my statement. Don’t stall out of the dealership over and over then trade the car back to a dealership a month or so later... Think before you spend money.

ASH_CTR678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Civic Si, 17 Civic Type R
Country flag
The wheels on that Type R are hideous, hopefully it’s a good deal for that reason alone
To get new OEM wheels and tires, one is talking about $5,000 according to the price sheets I've seen online.......I would assume $30,000 for a CTR trade in not missing anything. I am pretty sure some have mention on here seeing used CTRs for over MSRP, even.....so MSRP for a used CTR should be easy.

OP
OP
CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRZ,S2000,CTR,PASSPORT
Country flag
To get new OEM wheels and tires, one is talking about $5,000 according to the price sheets I've seen online.......I would assume $30,000 for a CTR trade in not missing anything. I am pretty sure some have mention on here seeing used CTRs for over MSRP, even.....so MSRP for a used CTR should be easy.

I actually saw the car in person, those bbs wheels were not on the vehicle. It had the original oem wheels on it. Im not sure if the dealer put it on or why those pictures show those bbs wheels.

Anyways, poor decision in my book, not to take away from the TYPE RA but why take that big of a hit on a trade in, and trade it in for a more expensive car with a high mark up. They sold that TYPE RA for $55k

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Lol @ the Type RA nothing special, and over 10k more than a reg STI .

Last edited:

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
I got 31K+ for my 18 STI when I traded it in.
I know WRX line up holds its value well and the STI is slightly more expensive than the CTR MRSP to MRSP, but 25K for a CTR is just..... I'm not sure about that.
RA really is a limited production vehicle. Well, I guess he found the right answer if that's what he cares about.
I still do like Subies but I don't see how the RA can be much better than regular STI for that price.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I got 31K+ for my 18 STI when I traded it in.
I know WRX line up holds its value well and the STI is slightly more expensive than the CTR MRSP to MRSP, but 25K for a CTR is just..... I'm not sure about that.
RA really is a limited production vehicle. Well, I guess he found the right answer if that's what he cares about.
I still do like Subies but I don't see how the RA can be much better than regular STI for that price.
1 more HP compare to the reg one.

ASH_CTR678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Civic Si, 17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I actually saw the car in person, those bbs wheels were not on the vehicle. It had the original oem wheels on it. Im not sure if the dealer put it on or why those pictures show those bbs wheels.

Anyways, poor decision in my book, not to take away from the TYPE RA but why take that big of a hit on a trade in, and trade it in for a more expensive car with a high mark up. They sold that TYPE RA for $55k
Let's just hope he didn't pay an ADM on the CTR, hahaha. When I bought my CTR, I was debating between the STI and CTR......when I heard about the Type RA, I didn't see $10,000 to $15,000 of marginal value in that car. I was even more turned off when I saw that they did their Record Attempt by taking out the entire interior.......too gimmicky for me! Subaru needs to update the engine.....pretty bad when dealers are claiming the WRX is just as good as the STI, but cheaper!

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
I traded my 1 year old car for a CTR... I know..not the best move but I’m happy and I didn’t put myself in a bind doing it.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Heard a great story of a guy buying a CTR never driving a manual before. Stalling the entire way out of the dealership...
Hey, that sounds like me! Except I didn’t let my failures get to me and I have zero thoughts about trading my baby in.

I traded my 1 year old car for a CTR... I know..not the best move but I’m happy and I didn’t put myself in a bind doing it.
I was in the same boat. I was getting bored of the CVT in my coupe and I really wanted to learn stick so I could drive a Type R so I can have a much more fun commute. Thus far I can confirm my commutes are much more fun (once the initial stalling phase was over that is)

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, hats off to all the first time manual owners. Not only did you make an incredible life change you also used your money to let Honda know people still want traditional manual transmission cars. :)

PS - So someone taking their CTR to Carmax and gonna let us know the offer? lol
Sponsored