Trade in si for type r or upgrade?

Hondagang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic si
Country flag
Just as the title says should i trade in my 2020 si for a type r in 2 years or should i spend money upgrading the si to hopefully 250-300hp. Just bought the si and not really happy with its power.
Sponsored

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
You could always do both. Upgrade the Si now and trade it in 2 years down the line. A simple K-Tuner will give you a big bump in power right off the bat. For example, Phearable has their 1.5 tune for the Si that bumps power up by 68hp and 86 torque. It feels really good. Even some of the base maps on the K-Tuner will give you a small bump that makes the car a bit more exciting to drive. Only thing you need to be weary of is how delicate the clutches on these Si's are. Most start to slip when you start increasing power, so if that happens you'll need to upgrade to a stronger clutch.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Get a tuner and see if that improves the car for you.

OP
OP
Hondagang

Hondagang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic si
Country flag
You could always do both. Upgrade the Si now and trade it in 2 years down the line. A simple K-Tuner will give you a big bump in power right off the bat. For example, Phearable has their 1.5 tune for the Si that bumps power up by 68hp and 86 torque. It feels really good. Even some of the base maps on the K-Tuner will give you a small bump that makes the car a bit more exciting to drive. Only thing you need to be weary of is how delicate the clutches on these Si's are. Most start to slip when you start increasing power, so if that happens you'll need to upgrade to a stronger clutch.
Perfect that’s exactly what i was looking for. Around 250-300 ho nothing to crazy. Only thing is i still want to wait a year for the warranty to expire before i start tuning. Unless i get impatient and tune it, is there any simple bolt ons like exhaust that will give it a boost? Or go straight to tuning?

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Perfect that’s exactly what i was looking for. Around 250-300 ho nothing to crazy. Only thing is i still want to wait a year for the warranty to expire before i start tuning. Unless i get impatient and tune it, is there any simple bolt ons like exhaust that will give it a boost? Or go straight to tuning?
You won't notice much of a difference in power from bolt ons really. Only one that would give you any sort of boost you might feel would be a downpipe, but again it's not much. On my Si I have a downpipe, front pipe and exhaust, an intake, an upgraded clutch, and the Phearable 1.5 tune via K-Tuner and it feels great to me. My endgame power goals are only 300whp, cause I want the car to remain somewhat reliable and I'm not trying to have a racecar, but that's not for a few years down the line. I love the way the car feels right now. If you have the money and the means to get the Type-R that would probably be your best bet for what you're looking for. I can't afford the Type-R so that's why I chose this route

OP
OP
Hondagang

Hondagang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic si
Country flag
You won't notice much of a difference in power from bolt ons really. Only one that would give you any sort of boost you might feel would be a downpipe, but again it's not much. On my Si I have a downpipe, front pipe and exhaust, an intake, an upgraded clutch, and the Phearable 1.5 tune via K-Tuner and it feels great to me. My endgame power goals are only 300whp, cause I want the car to remain somewhat reliable and I'm not trying to have a racecar, but that's not for a few years down the line. I love the way the car feels right now. If you have the money and the means to get the Type-R that would probably be your best bet for what you're looking for. I can't afford the Type-R so that's why I chose this route
I only got the si because the bank didnt accept me for the type r since im young and just started my credit 8 months ago. I thought id like the si just the same but the power is eh at best. Fun little car hauls ass but i want the 300ish range. Wouldn’t upgrading to 300ish cost more the difference between a type r and si? As of rn its 10kish. Ill def try the tune 250ish should keep me happy For now. Thanks for the reply

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
I only got the si because the bank didnt accept me for the type r since im young and just started my credit 8 months ago. I thought id like the si just the same but the power is eh at best. Fun little car hauls ass but i want the 300ish range. Wouldn’t upgrading to 300ish cost more the difference between a type r and si? As of rn its 10kish. Ill def try the tune 250ish should keep me happy For now. Thanks for the reply
I'm not sure how much money total it would be but I don't think it would be 10k. I haven't even spent 5k on my car yet and I'm at 240ish (I believe Phearable's hp numbers are to the wheel too, so 235-240whp is pretty freakin peppy". Comparing the 2 is kind of unfair because they're 2 wildly different cars. The Si is supposed to be a backroad carver where the Type-R is a track focused car

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Im not even q fan of the type r. But if performance is the only concern. Then id say trade.
Trying ro make a si as fadt as a tuned type r. You are probably shitting on the reliability of the si. While just to keep up with a tuned type r.
If i didnt love my coupe. And i liked station wagons.
Id do it.
But i do and i dont lol so the inevitability of the l15b7 demise.

OP
OP
Hondagang

Hondagang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic si
Country flag
I'm not sure how much money total it would be but I don't think it would be 10k. I haven't even spent 5k on my car yet and I'm at 240ish (I believe Phearable's hp numbers are to the wheel too, so 235-240whp is pretty freakin peppy". Comparing the 2 is kind of unfair because they're 2 wildly different cars. The Si is supposed to be a backroad carver where the Type-R is a track focused car
Only reason i said prob 10k was because before i stumbled upon this awesome helpful website i saw another site say that to get 300hp out of the si youd need to upgrade a lot like the pistons rods clutch suspension. Just to get it to not break. So I figured that idk tho im a total noob at this. Ill take your word for it def try the tune. Is there anything else i should experiment with? Do u have an instagram? Id love to see ur si

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Only reason i said prob 10k was because before i stumbled upon this awesome helpful website i saw another site say that to get 300hp out of the si youd need to upgrade a lot like the pistons rods clutch suspension. Just to get it to not break. So I figured that idk tho im a total noob at this. Ill take your word for it def try the tune. Is there anything else i should experiment with? Do u have an instagram? Id love to see ur si
With the Hatchbacks specifically it's recommended you upgrade rods, pistons, all that internal good stuff to hit 300 cause the Hatchback engines are weaker than the Si. Si's can hit 300 pretty reliably, but anything further than that you'd probably want to think about strengthening the internals just for peace of mind. As far as anything else most people recommend an intake as a good first mod so you can hear the turbo a bit more. Downpipe would be good like I said before. Opens things up to let the car breathe better. Exhaust is always good if you wanna hear your car more as most people do. If you do the exhaust and plan on doing the downpipe think about getting the front pipe as well. Most companies do a downpipe and front pipe bundle. RV6's is the cheapest option out there at the moment. It's what I have and it's really good quality. As for my Si I don't really have any pictures on my instagram of it. I've thought about starting one just for my car, so if I do that I will let you know. For now here are some pictures I posted in another thread

OP
OP
Hondagang

Hondagang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic si
Country flag
With the Hatchbacks specifically it's recommended you upgrade rods, pistons, all that internal good stuff to hit 300 cause the Hatchback engines are weaker than the Si. Si's can hit 300 pretty reliably, but anything further than that you'd probably want to think about strengthening the internals just for peace of mind. As far as anything else most people recommend an intake as a good first mod so you can hear the turbo a bit more. Downpipe would be good like I said before. Opens things up to let the car breathe better. Exhaust is always good if you wanna hear your car more as most people do. If you do the exhaust and plan on doing the downpipe think about getting the front pipe as well. Most companies do a downpipe and front pipe bundle. RV6's is the cheapest option out there at the moment. It's what I have and it's really good quality. As for my Si I don't really have any pictures on my instagram of it. I've thought about starting one just for my car, so if I do that I will let you know. For now here are some pictures I posted in another thread
Ahhh so 300ish should be safeish with just a few tweaks got it. I love the color of ur car mines a gay ass light grey just not a fan of the coupe i got a sedan imo looks a bit nicer. Perfect tho again thanks for replying youve been so helpful. Ill def try the tune maybe some exhaust work im just not a fan of the engine noise sounds to much like a ricer car stock im sure itd be worse with some work. Here in jersey there are wayyyy to many honda ricers i just got tired of honda noises.

JasNeo

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Ahhh so 300ish should be safeish with just a few tweaks got it. I love the color of ur car mines a gay ass light grey just not a fan of the coupe i got a sedan imo looks a bit nicer. Perfect tho again thanks for replying youve been so helpful. Ill def try the tune maybe some exhaust work im just not a fan of the engine noise sounds to much like a ricer car stock im sure itd be worse with some work. Here in jersey there are wayyyy to many honda ricers i just got tired of honda noises.
No problem, glad I could help. Another thing too, if what you have listed as your car is true, the 2020 Si's have "enhanced engine noise" pumped into the cabin when in sport mode. Some like it, some hate it, but if you're one of those that hate it, it can be disabled. Might help with the "ricer sound". As far as exhausts go there are a lot of videos out there to help pick the one for you. Videos don't do many exhausts justice but I found this video the most helpful. Happy shopping!
Sponsored