Trade-In Civic Type R

Estoril4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport Mt, 2017 Toyota 4runner XP, 2014 Audi S4, 2017 CBP Type R
Country flag
Before purchasing I did some research through an engineer buddy of mine. The block and drive train in his opinion are overengineered. The block can handle 1000 HP + safely. Once you get going, the Quattro system defaults to a more rear-biased torque split program for better power delivery when cornering. The only weak point would be the axles when launching with over 800HP. However, that can be upgraded from stock. Daily driver, weekend racer.
Sounds like the ideal DD, wish so bad we got the hatch here. Trans can handle that much torque?Have you tuned yet?
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you guys live in states with no tax and license? I can't imagine the negative equity, plus more tax, plus the price difference between a CTR and RS3. Used the Audi goes for over $55k. Thats at least $15k more than a new CTR. It costs about $5500 in tax here in Ca to buy a new CTR. Couldn't imagine selling after 1 year
Where in Calif is a car with $36620 MSRP gets taxed $5500? You mentioned you’re able to obtain the car at MSRP in another thread (MSRP Nice List). Unless you’re counting ADM in your tax calculation.

BurgerSlayer

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where in Calif is a car with $36620 MSRP gets taxed $5500? You mentioned you’re able to obtain the car at MSRP in another thread (MSRP Nice List). Unless you’re counting ADM in your tax calculation.
Yup, it should be roughly 10% or less for all taxes, fees, registration, etc in CA.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Before purchasing I did some research through an engineer buddy of mine. The block and drive train in his opinion are overengineered. The block can handle 1000 HP + safely. Once you get going, the Quattro system defaults to a more rear-biased torque split program for better power delivery when cornering. The only weak point would be the axles when launching with over 800HP. However, that can be upgraded from stock. Daily driver, weekend racer.
I’m going to straight up call bullshit on this- I’d be interested to see the engineering analysis behind figuring the block or drivetrain can handle 1000+ HP. Did your friend disassemble the block and drive train? What exactly did he test? What did he measure? What did he analyze and how?

Stock drivetrain can handle 1000+ hp... LOL.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you guys live in states with no tax and license? I can't imagine the negative equity, plus more tax, plus the price difference between a CTR and RS3. Used the Audi goes for over $55k. Thats at least $15k more than a new CTR. It costs about $5500 in tax here in Ca to buy a new CTR. Couldn't imagine selling after 1 year
In Georgia you only pay the regular sales tax on a new car (6.75% when I got mine in December in Gwinnett County) and you do NOT pay any ad valorum year after year with your annual tag renewal. This tax cut enacted in 2013. Red States Rule!!

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
can't please everyone.
that's probably why they will continue the front engine/rear drive Vette for the foreseeable future. Have had my deposit on the mid-engine version since August of last year....dealer said I might have a build date within the next 2 weeks, but I will believe it when I see it..... Probably asking for trouble getting the first year of this, but I will be getting an 8 year 100k mile GM warranty with it as well...not taking any chances.

There has been a lot of evidence here that changing the transmission fluid does indeed resolve or greatly reduce the grind issue. I had it happen to me 3 times, all before 1500 miles. now at 5500 miles and has not happened since those initial 3 instances and i didn't change anything....dunno...

Resale value seems to be pretty strong here in central Ohio from my limited experience anyway. Was getting my A1 service done last week. They had a blue 2017 in the showroom....3k miles, asking $34,500. Went by the dealer this morning to pick up a part, and the car was gone. Said they sold it in 2 days for asking price. I didn't ask what someone traded it in for....can't imagine....

Likely that familiar tale where someone found out they had a bun in the oven and they had to get an Odyssey.......:)

Last edited:

Bulldog Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ridgeline RTL-E, 2017 MX-5 GT, 2016 Civic LX, 2007 Element SC
Country flag
I’m going to straight up call bullshit on this- I’d be interested to see the engineering analysis behind figuring the block or drivetrain can handle 1000+ HP. Did your friend disassemble the block and drive train? What exactly did he test? What did he measure? What did he analyze and how?

Stock drivetrain can handle 1000+ hp... LOL.
Agreed Sixxspeed. I just read an article where the next gen Corvette in ZR1 guise will produce close to 1,000hp. The test mules are twisting the car's frame with that much hp/torque. NOW THATS A STATEMENT I BELIEVE!

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
My CTR unfortunately was one of the ones with the transmission/clutch issues with notchy shifting and 2nd gear crunch. A known issue stated on this forum. Another reason why I dumped it. More than happy with seamless shifts after the challenges I went through with the CTR. Funny how you're crapping on Auto tranny's knowing that there are issues with the CTR tranny. For those of you that respect others choices, I still miss the drive the Type R exhibited.
There are no issues with CTR trannies. Bad drivers and newbies are all over those cars. I have > 600,000 miles of MT driving experience, I’ve driven a “bad” CTR and it was the driver not understanding that a 1-2 shift is treated differently than a 3-4 shift due to the fact that they’re smaller gears and are more aggressive.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
There are no issues with CTR trannies. Bad drivers and newbies are all over those cars. I have > 600,000 miles of MT driving experience, I’ve driven a “bad” CTR and it was the driver not understanding that a 1-2 shift is treated differently than a 3-4 shift due to the fact that they’re smaller gears and are more aggressive.
I will back this, the second gear issues are more of a user problem than a systemic issue for the CTR. Been driving manuals for over 30 years and this is one of the best I have used.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
Agreed Sixxspeed. I just read an article where the next gen Corvette in ZR1 guise will produce close to 1,000hp. The test mules are twisting the car's frame with that much hp/torque. NOW THATS A STATEMENT I BELIEVE!
If the frame twist issues are accurate and not a marketing ploy then there are much bigger issues with the C8. Plenty of 996 Turbos, Gallardos, R8's etc running over 1K HP and no frame issues. NOT saying that I think our blocks can handle the same amount of power though.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Man, quit junkposting while you’re behind. They’re blowing engines at 500whp with reputable tuning.

I came out of a DSG MQB (mk 7 R) before my Type R, so I know a few things about the RS3.

That Audi 5 cyl engine is indeed lots more tunable than the K20C1 in the CTR, but it’s not anywhere near 2JZ or RB26 levels like you’re eluding to. The DSG is also great, and can rip off shifts faster than any manual.

Where the RS3 falls down is handling. The AWD system defaults FWD (Haldex based), and there’s no limited slip differential to be found. It’s the antithesis of a supercar, and very far from a corner carver. Even with nearly a 100HP surplus and AWD, it couldn’t beat a FWD CTR at Car & Driver’s own Lightning Lap around Virginia International Raceway.

For an affordable proper AWD system, look at an old Evo X. It’s light years ahead of Haldex on track. For an expensive one, look at an R35 GTR.

For a good performance car that’s much faster around the race track for the same money, an M2 Competition is an infinitely better choice.

Most people in the CTR forums value handling, and that’s why there’s no way would I buy an RS3. It’s a comfy grand tourer and stoplight racer when modified at the very best.

Last edited:

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
If the frame twist issues are accurate and not a marketing ploy then there are much bigger issues with the C8. Plenty of 996 Turbos, Gallardos, R8's etc running over 1K HP and no frame issues. NOT saying that I think our blocks can handle the same amount of power though.
Hmmm... that’s actually a good point. I get the feeling the majority of the cars pushing 1000+ hp are heavily modified in every regard though. I bet many are likely caged, which can add a lot of structural rigidity. I’d imagine some sort of additional chassis bracing is required... it is an insane amount of twisting force paired with that amount of horsepower. Also, anything with a carbon fiber monocoque likely won’t twist either. I guess that’s of key importance.

The C8 likely will push GMs skills yet again, meaning they’re likely going for lightweight- which is never cheap. I doubt the C8 will have a Carbon monocoque but GM will likely want to use plenty of aluminum- they’ll likely use high strength steel where it counts- but I can imagine they want to limit where it is used, creating an exercise in engineering balance.

The more I think about it, the more I think the story maybe isn't all that bat shit crazy after all.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Man, quit junkposting while you’re behind. They’re blowing engines at 500whp with reputable tuning.

I came out of a DSG MQB (mk 7 R) before my Type R, so I know a few things about the RS3.

That Audi 5 cyl engine is indeed lots more tunable than the K20C1 in the CTR, but it’s not anywhere near 2JZ or RB26 levels like you’re eluding to. The DSG is also great, and can rip off shifts faster than any manual.

Where the RS3 falls down is handling. The AWD system defaults FWD (Haldex based), and there’s no limited slip differential to be found. It’s the antithesis of a supercar, and very far from a corner carver. Even with nearly a 100HP surplus and AWD, it couldn’t beat a FWD CTR at Car & Driver’s own Lightning Lap around Virginia International Raceway.

For an affordable proper AWD system, look at an old Evo X. It’s light years ahead of Haldex on track. For an expensive one, look at an R35 GTR.

For a good performance car that’s much faster around the race track for the same money, an M2 Competition is an infinitely better choice.

Most people in the CTR forums value handling, and that’s why there’s no way would I buy an RS3. It’s a comfy grand tourer and stoplight racer when modified at the very best.
This has become a major thread derail, but I think it’s pointing to us maybe needing a thread to just bullshit about cars in general- just anything and everything like this thread has become :D

That being said, the European RS3 utilizes an iron block, vs the North American RS3 which utilizes an aluminum block. Big difference. The Supra was legendary because of its iron block. Aluminum in comparison? Eeeeeeeeh.... I mean, we’ve had some really great aluminum engines over the last 30 years, but there’s nothing else like adding boost to a cast iron block.

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-audi-rs3-was-surprisingly-easy-to-build-despite-its-radical-engine

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I've always driven stick ,hate auto trannny i had a evo 10 auto hated it , it shifted super fast but it made all kinds of noises from the gears and it jerked alot in traffic, now with my 2019 ctr i haven't had any grind or lockout . Thats why honda hasn't thrown a tsb on these trannys yet.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag