Tracking a CVT?

Rafiki76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
I'm going to buy a Sport Touring Hatchback soon after my lease is up onb my BMW X5. I am kind of getting forced to get an automatic by my parents, I'm 18 so please don't judge me or say how I should just get one anyways. I have raced manuals for about four years now so I;m very comfortable with them, but my parents aren't exactly car people so I would be almost impossible to get a stick. Is it possible to track a cvt w/ Paddleshifters? I know the tranny can't take too much torque but is a tune and intercooler, cvt cooler, and intake too much?

My area of expertise is in BMW's mainly, I've mainly built BMW racing cars and this is my first Honda, but I want something reliable and not as troublesome as a BM. Thank you.
Sponsored

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
I'm going to buy a Sport Touring Hatchback soon after my lease is up onb my BMW X5. I am kind of getting forced to get an automatic by my parents, I'm 18 so please don't judge me or say how I should just get one anyways. I have raced manuals for about four years now so I;m very comfortable with them, but my parents aren't exactly car people so I would be almost impossible to get a stick. Is it possible to track a cvt w/ Paddleshifters? I know the tranny can't take too much torque but is a tune and intercooler, cvt cooler, and intake too much?

My area of expertise is in BMW's mainly, I've mainly built BMW racing cars and this is my first Honda, but I want something reliable and not as troublesome as a BM. Thank you.
First of all welcome. I've owned automatic, manual, tiptronic, and now cvt vehicles so I get where you're coming from. As for adding increased horsepower there are a ton of threads and posts regarding tunes and add ons for the cvt. I think we all want to know the limit we can push our cars but we are still finding out ourselves. Hondata and Ktuner have done extensive work so far on our cars and are trusted in the industry. I do not know exact numbers but I believe some guys are pushing 240hp/ 260twq on the cvt but I may be wrong. I'm sure with a custom tune by vitviper you could push it to where you both feel safe. As for tracking this transmission is extremely smooth but does have cvt lag and obviously a manual would help with that but I find the paddle shifters to be quite fun and responsive considering my last vehicle was a manual. Overall we are still learning the limits of our car but you can still tune it, track it, and still have fun

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
Seems like a few members and vendors have tracked CVTs with fair results...especially on autox. My biggest concern would be cooling the CVT fluid...so don't skip the cooler if your planning on some lengthy track sessions. And vitviper can definitely custom tune your setup to take into consideration limiting the torque for track usage so as to increase longevity.
Bottom line: you can have fun and enjoy the CVT if thats the car that works best for you. You just have to understand that ultimate tuning potential will be limited compared to a manual.

http://prlmotorsports.com/prlmotorsports2016civic15tcvtcoolerkit.aspx#.WaYDwGWMDR2

Last edited:

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Assuming your parents are paying for it, why wouldn't they let you?
If you are paying for it yourself, why do they have any control over what transmission you have in your car?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd worry about overheating it on the track. Autocross would be much less stress. Only one way to find out I suppose. Hopefully aftermarket CVT cooler options will come out for the CVT guys.

OP
OP
Rafiki76

Rafiki76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
I'd worry about overheating it on the track. Autocross would be much less stress. Only one way to find out I suppose. Hopefully aftermarket CVT cooler options will come out for the CVT guys.
There already is one by PRL Motorsports, I am planning on adding that to the car almost immediately, and changing the fluid to something more high temp.

First of all welcome. I've owned automatic, manual, tiptronic, and now cvt vehicles so I get where you're coming from. As for adding increased horsepower there are a ton of threads and posts regarding tunes and add ons for the cvt. I think we all want to know the limit we can push our cars but we are still finding out ourselves. Hondata and Ktuner have done extensive work so far on our cars and are trusted in the industry. I do not know exact numbers but I believe some guys are pushing 240hp/ 260twq on the cvt but I may be wrong. I'm sure with a custom tune by vitviper you could push it to where you both feel safe. As for tracking this transmission is extremely smooth but does have cvt lag and obviously a manual would help with that but I find the paddle shifters to be quite fun and responsive considering my last vehicle was a manual. Overall we are still learning the limits of our car but you can still tune it, track it, and still have fun
Thank you for the warm introduction. I have been reading those forms and I plan on getting either a Ktuner or Flashpro with VitViper. Thanks for adding your experience with the paddles, I think learning the limits of that car will be very interesting to say the least lol.

Seems like a few members and vendors have tracked CVTs with fair results...especially on autox. My biggest concern would be cooling the CVT fluid...so don't skip the cooler if your planning on some lengthy track sessions. And vitviper can definitely custom tune your setup to take into consideration limiting the torque for track usage so as to increase longevity.
Bottom line: you can have fun and enjoy the CVT if thats the car that works best for you. You just have to understand that ultimate tuning potential will be limited compared to a manual.

http://prlmotorsports.com/prlmotorsports2016civic15tcvtcoolerkit.aspx#.WaYDwGWMDR2
Thank you for the advice, the cooler as of now is the top mod. I am still hoping to clutch out a sport with a manual instead so my tuning options are broader, but I just hope the CVT can be adequate, but your advice does help haha

Assuming your parents are paying for it, why wouldn't they let you?
If you are paying for it yourself, why do they have any control over what transmission you have in your car?
Well I said in my op that I didn't want to discuss this. But they haven't driven manual for over 20 years each and they don't want to incase they have to take mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Thank you for the warm introduction. I have been reading those forms and I plan on getting either a Ktuner or Flashpro with VitViper. Thanks for adding your experience with the paddles, I think learning the limits of that car will be very interesting to say the least lol.
Anytime bud don't hesitate to ask questions.

OP
OP
Rafiki76

Rafiki76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Honestly I have other racing cars. I just want to autocross my car. And the civics don't have tiptronic as an option, I could buy my own finically, but that will upset my parents and I'd rather not.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Definitely do the CVT fluid cooler if you're going to track it. I don't think autocross runs are long enough to worry about CVT heat, though.

I'd reconsider whether to change to higher-temp CVT fluid. Check the threads in the maintenance subforum about whether to stick with Honda fluid or switch to another brand.

I'd take the money allocated towards a tune, intercooler, and intake, and instead re-allocate it on tires and brakes.

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Well I said in my op that I didn't want to discuss this. But they haven't driven manual for over 20 years each and they don't want to incase they have to take mine.
ok fair enough

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
That freakin price for the prl cvt cooler though. Hope mishimoto comes out with one around the $300 range like they have for the 2015+ wrx.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
There already is one by PRL Motorsports, I am planning on adding that to the car almost immediately, and changing the fluid to something more high temp.

Thank you for the advice, the cooler as of now is the top mod. I am still hoping to clutch out a sport with a manual instead so my tuning options are broader, but I just hope the CVT can be adequate, but your advice does help haha

I'd try to find a used Acura ILX with a DCT instead imo