Tracking a CVT?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very interesting thread. My 2015 Honda Fit I've always raced in 'L' and it always had the best acceleration that way. Looking at runs I did while recording with Ktuner, it showed the 'L' mode hold it's gear to a higher mph than 'S' and 'S' to a higher mph than 'D'.

I tested 'L' a few days ago in my 2018 Civic EX CVT and my Torque Pro software was showing 1/4 mile times about 3/10ths quicker in 'L' mode versus 'D', 2/10th's quicker than 'S'. The actual 1/4 mile times I never post about. I look for consistency in it's readings though and use it as a tool. 'L' always was quicker.

As was posted earlier, 'L' would seem to be perfect to me for racing at a track since it holds high rpms and none of that fake shifting. This setup should be a track driver's dream and a competitors nightmare.

Since I bracket race all my cars, I will be taking this CVT to the track frequently to do a lot of testing. Waiting on the cooler like some of the rest of you. Had it pre-ordered weeks ago. Good luck on your discoveries. I will be glued to this thread and posting up my findings as well.

In the meantime, I wish to humiliate a few Si's and Type R's to represent the CVT crew. See ya'll at the track. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

TurboRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hello All. Interesting thread. I too have made the leap from stick back to CVT, so I can relax on my daily commute!!! I love autocross and an occasional track day, and I love to track my daily. So I'm feeling this car out as well. My 2 cents with the CVT - try not to break it! Unlike prior cars, I'm taking it easy on the mods. I have enough local autocross championships to serve as fond memories. Now, I'm leaning a little more towards comfort, reliability, efficiency in mod $, and just having FUN. Why? because I've discovered that I can have as much fun in a bone stock automatic Civic as in stick with a bunch of expensive mods. Many of you know what I mean, and many of you will one day get it. (disclaimer - I love stick. Yes, I would have gotten the Type R if I didn't drive all day long.) … Anyways, I put about $10G into my Evo. Sold it. Then about $4G into my Fiesta ST. Sold it. This Civic Hatch Sport, Trying hard to hold back! about $200. (so far) First mods; Hawk Street/Race brake pads. Fumoto oil drain plug. (found some speed bleeders and some sealed Motul RBF brake fluid in my tool box - so no cost there.) :D

OK, So here's what I've concluded so far … for autox and track days, I put the car in S and let the car do it's thing. Occasionally, if I have a corner that I feel like the car is bogging, I will down shift the paddles; drop down a gear or two, then let the car upshift on its own after that.
BAM, done. drive the car, have fun. No more heel and toe!

Wish list would be better tires and maybe some springs or shocks. More power? meh … not really necessary. I can get to 113 mph on the back straight of PBIR while still letting off conservatively ... bone stock. good enough for an automatic daily. LOL.
Anyways. The tranny cooler sounds interesting, however, I did 4 - 20 min track sessions couple weeks ago, ballz out, with 93 octane & bone stock everything except brake pads & fluid, And there was no sign of heating issues with CVT. Temp gauge was steady as a rock throughout! Here's a clip from the onboard cam (you can see the real time speed / mph on the bottom. Add some volume if you want to hear those stock tires squeal LOL!) :):

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for posting your experience. Have you tried testing the CVT out in 'S' or even 'L'?

LOVE the video!

TurboRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Thanks for posting your experience. Have you tried testing the CVT out in 'S' or even 'L'?

LOVE the video!
Yes. in S the car will hold the gear longer in the rev band and still shift on its own when necessary. Plus i can still use the paddles to gear down to exit corners.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. in S the car will hold the gear longer in the rev band and still shift on its own when necessary. Plus i can still use the paddles to gear down to exit corners.
Thanks for posting this info. I may still have to do some testing of 'S' in the 1/4 mile. The lowest gear caused machine gun backfire while trying to shift (It won't shift until taken out of the lowest gear), which I think may have to do with my tune. Testing in 'S' before didn't get my best times but I believe I only tested it twice vs regular drive gear.

aauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport cvt
Country flag
My car has been to 4 track days, and 6 autocross events. So far I haven't really had too many issues. The CVT works fine on track as long as you have the paddle shifters. I did manage to break an engine mount but Honda warrantied that. I have managed to send my CVT into limp mode on track, but that was only after about 20-25 minutes of constant abuse on track. Longer than I normally do. I should also mention I'm running a tune on my car as well.
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I see that you’re tracking your cvt civic and just wanted to ask you if you used OEM Honda’s HCF-2 cvt fluid or aftermarket cvt fluid when you tracked your car? I’m also running a tuned cvt and will be taking it to the track later in July. Just wondering If OEM cvt fluid will be good enough for the track. Thanks!
Sponsored