Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
My track buddy runs the Nt01's and RE71R's on his s2k. RE71R's, I think have a better initial performance but they fall off. The NT01's have less grip to start with but over all, it seems like it's a more consistent tire.

A052's and Nankang AR1s are just on a different league.

If you still want more grip, then you can go to a slick but now we're just talking pure race car.
The interesting thing is that the original NT01 was basically the same compound as the somewhat famous Toyo RA-1. It was never fast but good down to the cords, very resistant to heat cycling and easy to drive hard consistently. Toyo tried to get everyone to switch to the R888 but the spec series (NASA Spec Miata and American Iron) which had used RA-1s and loved them revolted at the 888 and Toyo relented and produced the RA-1 again but in limited sizes. We now have the R888R which in my personal experience is no better than the regular 888 but considering that Toyo owns Nitto I don't know if they still are producing the same compound as the RA-1. (Interesting that despite numerous requests to the company re this issue, I can't get an answer)

OTOH, enough tire talk. Lets get more input on wheels. I also think I asked above but where did you guys get your centering rings? Where they marketed by the wheel company? Honda center bores are pretty small.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
The interesting thing is that the original NT01 was basically the same compound as the somewhat famous Toyo RA-1. It was never fast but good down to the cords, very resistant to heat cycling and easy to drive hard consistently. Toyo tried to get everyone to switch to the R888 but the spec series (NASA Spec Miata and American Iron) which had used RA-1s and loved them revolted at the 888 and Toyo relented and produced the RA-1 again but in limited sizes. We now have the R888R which in my personal experience is no better than the regular 888 but considering that Toyo owns Nitto I don't know if they still are producing the same compound as the RA-1. (Interesting that despite numerous requests to the company re this issue, I can't get an answer)

OTOH, enough tire talk. Lets get more input on wheels. I also think I asked above but where did you guys get your centering rings? Where they marketed by the wheel company? Honda center bores are pretty small.
I bought aluminum rings on amazon. They’ve held up perfectly fine to roughly 30K+ street miles and 20 track days

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I'ma guess you're talking about hub centric rings. I personally never ran them. Take them off if the car comes with it.

Saw some on Evasive. Have had track friends buy on Amazon and eBay. Just stick to non plastic to prevent melting to the hub.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/titan-7-aluminum-hub-rings-pair-725mm-64mm/

FK8 4 Di

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Any opinions on the Nexen NFURA SU4G?? When my OEM tires wore out at 5k on the track, I HAD to get some tires that were available in stock as my CTR is my daily! Big O had the NFURA SU1 for $600/set. Wasn't real sure of them but hey.....I needed tires! Come to find out, they are actually a pretty decent tires at a Very reasonable price! Looking to buy a set of track tires. Looking to see if anyone has had any experience with the SU4Gs, their latest track tire. ??

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Any opinions on the Nexen NFURA SU4G?? When my OEM tires wore out at 5k on the track, I HAD to get some tires that were available in stock as my CTR is my daily! Big O had the NFURA SU1 for $600/set. Wasn't real sure of them but hey.....I needed tires! Come to find out, they are actually a pretty decent tires at a Very reasonable price! Looking to buy a set of track tires. Looking to see if anyone has had any experience with the SU4Gs, their latest track tire. ??
I’ve heard the SUR4Gs are a great track tire. They’re faster than the RS4 for sure. Downside is they’re more expensive and they wear quicker

FK8 4 Di

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve heard the SUR4Gs are a great track tire. They’re faster than the RS4 for sure. Downside is they’re more expensive and they wear quicker
Got it!! Thanks! How much are the RS4s?

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Good tires for track. From previous experience and friend who works in the automotive world, same rubber as RE71R before it becomes manufactured into a tire. RE71R still has better grip levels, but will be good for lapping, but not peak performance.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good tires for track. From previous experience and friend who works in the automotive world, same rubber as RE71R before it becomes manufactured into a tire. RE71R still has better grip levels, but will be good for lapping, but not peak performance.
RE71s are generally great autocross tires but tend to fade after a few quick laps and also tend to wear quickly compared to Hankook RS4s for example. The Hankook isn't quite as fast but is more consistent and long lived. For lapping, HPDE etc I would take the Rs4.

FK8 4 Di

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a friend that uses the SU4's on his s2000. He also compares then to the R71s without the cost ?

FK8 4 Di

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
RE71s are generally great autocross tires but tend to fade after a few quick laps and also tend to wear quickly compared to Hankook RS4s for example. The Hankook isn't quite as fast but is more consistent and long lived. For lapping, HPDE etc I would take the Rs4.
Thank you!

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have driven in both Champcar and Lucky Dog endurance races here in Canada and the RS4 is clearly the most popular tire. Certainly need endurance for these events. OTOH,for time-attack, the RE71 and Yokohama A052s are the tires to have if you want to win but no one "wins" at HPDE.

FK8 4 Di

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have driven in both Champcar and Lucky Dog endurance races here in Canada and the RS4 is clearly the most popular tire. Certainly need endurance for these events. OTOH,for time-attack, the RE71 and Yokohama A052s are the tires to have if you want to win but no one "wins" at HPDE.
True That about Winning HPDE! I'm trying to be easy on the pocket book while having some fun 3-4 track weekends/yr?

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
I know someone that has cracked both an Enkei wheel and a Titan 7 recently under normal track use. I’ve never seen that with a Volk or Advan forged wheel.

Last edited:

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
Anyone have experience with the new Falken RT660?

Are they more of a lapping tire or one lap wonder?
They fall into the Re71 and A052 category of one lap wonder...or a couple of laps and then grease city.
Sponsored