CTRookie

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It is time to replace the wheels fellas. With one trak day under the belt, and one bent wheel(now fixed) from simply hitting the curbing edge on track, I would like some advice on a new wheel setup. Practicing with a few cars, I have really come to respect the suspension geometry of the Type R. Therefore, I am trying to stay as close to the original setup if possible. I am ok going down in diameter, but prefer the offset and width to mimic the original.

if I have to go with a custom wheel and pay extra I am open to this. I do not have a blank check to put towards the purchase, any advice on how to mange my next wheel purchase would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
I mean there is at least 3 wheel I know is really close to OEM spec.
19" NSX front wheel +55 ET, MR924 +53ET
18" Rege 18X10 +50 ET
and a lot of the +45 et wheels from rays and volks, titan 7, advan, or enkei etc.

They should all work and if you want track mainly will recommend going to 18" for more tire choice and better price on the long run.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i know advan makes a 19x9 +53mm offset. i almost went with those but special order from japan means a long wait.

OP
OP
CTRookie

CTRookie

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I mean there is at least 3 wheel I know is really close to OEM spec.
19" NSX front wheel +55 ET, MR924 +53ET
18" Rege 18X10 +50 ET
and a lot of the +45 et wheels from rays and volks, titan 7, advan, or enkei etc.

They should all work and if you want track mainly will recommend going to 18" for more tire choice and better price on the long run.
Thank you, any idea on a reliable custom forged wheel company?

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
CTRookie, I went through the same thinking you have with wheels for this car.

I originally went with 19" NSX wheels for the track due to a closer factory offset and lower rim weight. After a season with the NSX wheels and 255 Cup 2's on the track I came decided to try a wider 18" rim as tires for 18's are typically cheaper. I went with 18 x 9.5 + 45 (Motegi 145) with 275 Goodyear 3R's. I couldn't believe the difference in traction. Very little torque steer, if any at all, noticed with the change (note - I do have Hardrace front lower camber plates on and removed the front guide pins to increase the front camber from -1.5 to -2.7 before starting out at the track with the NSX rims).
See bottom of post 85 or post 89 in this thread - https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/jeffs-build-for-occasional-light-track-use.51054/page-6

Also consider that the track is not that kind to wheels either. Decided to save the money I dropped on the NSX wheels on keep them for the street instead. May want to consider this as well if dropping money for custom offset wheels for track use..

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I was real worried about suspension geometry too. But on the track I haven't had any issues with the minimal torque steer that my 18x9.5+38s have induced. I still run my 20's (with PS4S) on the street, but switch out for my 265 35R18s Advan A088's for the track and they do so much better.

Whichever you do, I suggest 18x9.5's The additional tire selection and lower cost is well worth it, plus you won't get the rolling the Contis show on the 20's.
Sponsored