First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm trying to come up with a fairly seamless way of recording footage of my track/autocross events and overlaying that footage with CAN data as well as GPS data. I know there are apps like trackaddict that do this, but I would like to find something that is compatible with my Ktuner V2. This is surprisingly more difficult than I thought it would be, and so I'm wondering what others have done.

Like I said I've got my ktuner, and have successfully paired my ktuner unit with Tuner view on my pixel 3, but when I try to record video, the tuner view app crashes. I've reached out to the tuner view rep here and it doest sound like a solution is near at hand.

I've also tried using track addict and race chrono, but neither want to talk to my ktuner unit. So I bought another Bluetooth OBD2 device, the OBDLink LX unit, which is listed as being compatible with track addict on Android, but the device definitely doesn't sample CAN data as well as ktuner. I also have a gopro hero 7 black, which i would like to act as my main dash camera, and track addict is nice because it can connect to an external camera.

I'm beginning to wonder if it would be better to just record my video and my CAN/GPS data all separately, and then just sync everything up afterwards, but I don't know what sort of software is necessary to do this.

What kinds of solutions have you all found?
Sponsored

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updating this with my current working solution. Just a warning though, its pretty cumbersome.

1. Start data logging with Ktuner.
2. start recording with TrackAddict, which is also connected to my GoPro.
3. record a session this way, capturing all my CAN data via Ktuner (no wireless device even comes close to the speed and granularity as Ktuner), my dash view with my GoPro, in-car driver cam with phone's front camera.
4. Download datalog from unit and export data log from ktuner desktop app to CSV file, import into RaceRender desktop app, along with TrackAddict session (which includes all the GPS data, track telemetry, driver cam video) and GoPro dash video. TrackAddict and RaceRender have a very convenient process flow for migrating TrackAddict session data/video from your phone, into RaceRender, as long as your desktop and phone are on the same wifi network.
5. Using RaceRender, you can basically tie in all these data elements together (trackAddict session, two videos, Ktuner datalog) and synchronize everything together.
6. export single video to an MP4 file stored locally on desktop.

Like i said, cumbersome, but it seems to get me 99% of the way to my ideal setup. The only thing that is missing from this is brake pressure data. KtunerV2 does have the ability to capture this, by enabling EXTCAN and selecting Type 1. Doing this also gets you clutch position and steering angle, pretty sweet. Unfortunately, these data points are not exported in CSV. So for the time being, my overlay data is missing a cool red brake pressure bar. :(

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for circling back to post the work-in-progress setup. Watching this thread and looking forward to seeing some sample on track video :thumbsup:.

The way you are doing the ktuner data log, does the data get stored on the ktuner device itself (I think you have a v2)? It sounds like you don't need tuner view in the loop at all with your current setup. I don't yet own a ktuner but might eventually want to do something like this--just trying to figure out if this is a place where the ktuner v2 has and advantage over the v1.2.

Happy tracking!

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for circling back to post the work-in-progress setup. Watching this thread and looking forward to seeing some sample on track video :thumbsup:.

The way you are doing the ktuner data log, does the data get stored on the ktuner device itself (I think you have a v2)? It sounds like you don't need tuner view in the loop at all with your current setup. I don't yet own a ktuner but might eventually want to do something like this--just trying to figure out if this is a place where the ktuner v2 has and advantage over the v1.2.

Happy tracking!
Correct, my setup does not use tunerview, but some might see my approach as more work than using tunerview, because with tunerview you record video with the CAN bus data already overlaid.

That being said, if you are deciding between v1 and v2, get the v2 regardless of anything in my post. It is a phenomenal product and only a little more expensive than the v1

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out my build thread, i've linked my latest track time recording there.
Sponsored