Track Pads and Rotor Compatibility

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I'm just starting out but I went G-Loc pads as you can switch back and forth. As the 2018 CTR does not have 2-peice rotors I put Girodisc rotors on the front along with G-Loc R8's and G-Loc GS-1's on the rear for track days. Now that track season is done I have a new set of front G-Loc GS-1's 'm going to slap on the front for the street.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Finally had a chance to look at my front brakes but not closely. Do all of you who track your cars removed the dust shields behind the rotors? If so, how difficult is it to do?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Finally had a chance to look at my front brakes but not closely. Do all of you who track your cars removed the dust shields behind the rotors? If so, how difficult is it to do?
I was going to but i didn’t want to deal with the brake dust getting into places I didn’t want it to.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Which pads are recommended that wont destroy wheels and paint? ive read the older hawk hp+ compounds are not great for that reason and the new dct60 would be a better choice for combating corrosive brake pads

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Carbotech or G-Loc pads tend to be pretty rotor friendly. Personally I don't like the Hawk stuff as the dust seems to be pretty corrosive. I have used DTC 60s on a different car and didn't like the very strong initial bite that makes it harder to modulate.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Carbotech or G-Loc pads tend to be pretty rotor friendly. Personally I don't like the Hawk stuff as the dust seems to be pretty corrosive. I have used DTC 60s on a different car and didn't like the very strong initial bite that makes it harder to modulate.
I have used carbotec xp10s but never on factory wheels.. are they paint friendly?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have Girodisc rotors up front paired with their SS pads.

OEM rotors and Gyrodisc magic pads in rear.

So far they’ve been great. No brake dust or rock noise issues.

Have not yet tried their track pads.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Reviving this to get some more answers regarding track brakes for the Type R...

I currently have the Paragon P3's and found that my ABS gets triggered very easily with little to no brake effort. It's made my brakes feel like an on/off switch which is not what most people feel regarding these pads. Im planning to swap to the R5 (Winmax W5) while I install new rotors, but not sure if it's gonna make the ABS issue worse with the tire compound I'm running? (Michelin PS4S). I think most people I spoke to said that the R5/W5 pairs best with a semi slick (200TW or less).

Any thoughts? Trying to get this sorted before Laguna Seca next week..

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Reviving this to get some more answers regarding track brakes for the Type R...

I currently have the Paragon P3's and found that my ABS gets triggered very easily with little to no brake effort. It's made my brakes feel like an on/off switch which is not what most people feel regarding these pads. Im planning to swap to the R5 (Winmax W5) while I install new rotors, but not sure if it's gonna make the ABS issue worse with the tire compound I'm running? (Michelin PS4S). I think most people I spoke to said that the R5/W5 pairs best with a semi slick (200TW or less).

Any thoughts? Trying to get this sorted before Laguna Seca next week..
I thought that suppose be a good thing, so you can get full breaking faster at track.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I thought that suppose be a good thing, so you can get full breaking faster at track.
I get that but I think what I'm talking about is mostly how it's difficult to modulate the brake once you've finished most of your braking. It's making trail braking really difficult.

Additionally, I feel that the P3's, which are suppose to be an upgrade in stopping power from the OEM pads feel like they don't grab as hard. I brake deeper into the corner without missing my braking point with the OEM's (albeit, they're pretty much roasted after a lap). The P3's lasted me a full session but still ended up roasting my brakes and boiling the fluid by the end (using RBF600).

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Having pedal modulation ability so you can use the full threshold of braking before triggering abs (ideally not triggering it) is better than brake pads that act like an on and off switch.

I felt like I saw somewhere that someone said R5s were better than P3 for modulating and wear, but dont quote me on that..

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The P3's lasted me a full session but still ended up roasting my brakes and boiling the fluid by the end (using RBF600).
You managed to boil RBF600? How old was the fluid and what track are you on?

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
I get that but I think what I'm talking about is mostly how it's difficult to modulate the brake once you've finished most of your braking. It's making trail braking really difficult.

Additionally, I feel that the P3's, which are suppose to be an upgrade in stopping power from the OEM pads feel like they don't grab as hard. I brake deeper into the corner without missing my braking point with the OEM's (albeit, they're pretty much roasted after a lap). The P3's lasted me a full session but still ended up roasting my brakes and boiling the fluid by the end (using RBF600).
I think mine has the opposite, after putting NT01 275/A052 265 and P3 it takes more force to get to the ABS trigger point. P3 does pretty good for the first 2 track days but after that it takes more and more force to get it break. Lasted about 4 track days with some meat left but useless already. Now switching to the R5 pads and will see how it hold up on my next track day.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I think mine has the opposite, after putting NT01 275/A052 265 and P3 it takes more force to get to the ABS trigger point. P3 does pretty good for the first 2 track days but after that it takes more and more force to get it break. Lasted about 4 track days with some meat left but useless already. Now switching to the R5 pads and will see how it hold up on my next track day.
I havent used the P3 pads before, but have done a few laps with a car on R5s and they were pleasant to use. I think youll like them

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
RBF600 is pretty weak sauce.

This car definitely needs Endless RF650 or Castrol SRF. The P3 pads are definitely more oriented as a street pad that you can track. I’d recommend moving to a more aggressive pad.
Sponsored