Track day sunday - stock everything

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Is there an ideal pressure to run tires at so I don't mangle them too badly?

Stock contis - running in South Texas / temp should be around 75 or under for the day I'm guessing?
Sponsored

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
I have nothing to add other than Hello fellow SGP Type R owner on and stock everything. I will be keeping an eye on this thread as I am signed up for my first track day with the Type R in March and plan to go all in stock.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
No suggestions, but one request: impressions and pics if possible.

Most of all have a GREAT time!!

Stock contis - running in South Texas / temp should be around 75 or under for the day I'm guessing?

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
what size tire? I usually start my 18's from 29 psi and see what's the max pressure it gets to after a session. after that I adjust all tire to 32 hot and go one more and check again.

all you need is to check hot pressure and trying few sets of pressure to see what's the one suits you.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I forget the actual page, but the manual has a tire pressure listed for continuous high speed driving.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what size tire? I usually start my 18's from 29 psi and see what's the max pressure it gets to after a session. after that I adjust all tire to 32 hot and go one more and check again.

all you need is to check hot pressure and trying few sets of pressure to see what's the one suits you.
Stock car bud - so 20's and I was hoping to avoid a ton of wear figuring it out as I go so thought others may have had a similar approach and go from there :)

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

To avoid massive rollover on the stock tires, which you inevitably will, start at 35 and check after each session to see how bad rollover is. If you still have rollover after first session add 1-2psi and adjust as necessary.

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
30 psi cold and it reaches about 36-37 psi hot.

Havent had issues with the rubber delaminating doing this.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I usually start sessions with 30-32 psi front/28-30 psi rear and adjust accordingly after the first session. I think the stock conti's are optimal in the mid 30's range hot (I could be wrong though, maybe someone else can chime in on this?).

Because of the roll over issue that others have mentioned, I would try not to over drive the car and be as smooth as possible. You would need a lot more negative camber up front to mitigate this but since you're stock, theres not much you can do. Just focus on having fun and not overworking your front tires!

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow what a great time! Car performed flawlessly and I set the tire pressure at 31/32 all around and tire temps were PERFECT after running some laps. I set it a bit higher than 30 since it was colder out.

Nothing to report heat wise, but it was a cold track day so that's not surprising. Just ran the car over and over and over and had a blast.

Some complain about Continentals on the car but once warmed up and proper PSI those things worked REALLY well and I still have a lot of wear on them even after a day of the track.

Will post up some pics later on. :)

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Wow what a great time! Car performed flawlessly and I set the tire pressure at 31/32 all around and tire temps were PERFECT after running some laps. I set it a bit higher than 30 since it was colder out.

Nothing to report heat wise, but it was a cold track day so that's not surprising. Just ran the car over and over and over and had a blast.

Some complain about Continentals on the car but once warmed up and proper PSI those things worked REALLY well and I still have a lot of wear on them even after a day of the track.

Will post up some pics later on. :)
I was wondering how the stock continentals will hold up on a track day. Figured they would be toast after a day. Ill have approx 2500 miles on my stock tires by the time I hit the track so thats good to hear.

Thanks for passing on the info on the tire pressure.

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
On stockers I started at 30 psi cold. After a couple of hot laps the tires got greasy to the point where I lost time.

I switched to Michelin PS Cup 2’s and was nearly 2 seconds quicker around SOW in Southern California.

Just adding better tires and brakes will give you a great lap time. Good to see someone new hit the track though

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I was wondering how the stock continentals will hold up on a track day. Figured they would be toast after a day. Ill have approx 2500 miles on my stock tires by the time I hit the track so thats good to hear.
I got 4650 miles and 3 track days on my OEM Conti's. I could have gotten a 4th if I had rotate my tires after the second day and possibly if I run a higher pressure. My front left tire on the outside edge was corded at the end of day 3.

Before I ran again, I got some 18x9.5 wheels and now I switch wheels at the track. I run PS4S on the OEM wheels on the street, and Advan A088's on the track. I really like them on the track, sticky tire that lasts the whole session. Very consistent. Not as sticky as some of the other tires, but those usually don't last as many laps, as well they may not last as many track days.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Thanks for passing on the info on the tire pressure.
I had 2800 miles on and feel like I still have good tread left. Proper inflation is key to not nuking any tires imo

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On stockers I started at 30 psi cold. After a couple of hot laps the tires got greasy to the point where I lost time.

I switched to Michelin PS Cup 2’s and was nearly 2 seconds quicker around SOW in Southern California.

Just adding better tires and brakes will give you a great lap time. Good to see someone new hit the track though
Yeah def not advocating for conti's all the time =- just not horrible to track on before you need to change your tires. I liked the Pilot Super Sports when I had my 2019 and changed, though I didn't track them.
Sponsored