First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Nono! I was trying to say 36/34 HOT! :D

Yes 28 or 30 starting sounds about right, but I feel that starting from stock pressure lets a new driver understand what’s going on and how much their driving style raises temps, rather than starting from an unfamiliar place of underinflation.

i always consider the first session of the day a warm up and calibration session.
Ah, I understand better now. So if I go in cold with 35/33 I'll expect the hot temp after first run to be much higher hence why to check it immediately and plan to let out air. And plan for that to happen as the day goes on (the track gets warmer, the sun gets warmer, the tires get warmer).
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Ah, I understand better now. So if I go in cold with 35/33 I'll expect the hot temp after first run to be much higher hence why to check it immediately and plan to let out air. And plan for that to happen as the day goes on (the track gets warmer, the sun gets warmer, the tires get warmer).
Follow on, since I'm driving my CTR to the track, they will be street warm when I get there... So not cold but not track hot. Should I adjust them at this point or wait until after the first session?

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Follow on, since I'm driving my CTR to the track, they will be street warm when I get there... So not cold but not track hot. Should I adjust them at this point or wait until after the first session?
If they are at all elevated then I would go ahead and let out the air. Often though, the track event starts very early like at 7 or 8am, so it's cold and the tires will cool rapidly while you're waiting for the event to start.

Also remember there is a pressure where grip is at its peak. If you keep lowering it and it seems to be getting worse, you might be going the wrong direction and you can always raise it and test. And keep notes. I have a notebook filled with notes from every track event with tire pressures after every session along with a short description of how well they worked. Then you can go back and check what you did before the next time.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Makes me think, what about phone apps? Any good Android apps for recording car prep/setup/performance? I will be running LogR since I'm a '20, but that doesn't have care setup details that I know of.

Tomek

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1994 Honda Civic EX K20a
Country flag
A lot of very valuable advice here and you are asking great questions so I think you (OP) are setting yourself up very well. Stoked for you as it is so much fun.

Some more tips to add for the sake of it...

Bring a torque wrench with whatever other tools you plan to bring as well as a tarp or something to protect your belongings from the elements if the weather is a factor. Also be sure to bring wheel chocks / piece of wood / etc. to keep the car from rolling away in the paddock while parked w/o the e-brake engaged.

What I got into the habit of doing between every session is, as soon as I exit my car I go through a sequence of:

1) Check tire pressures / temps (as already mentioned)
2) Check oil level
3) Inspect wheels for cracks or anything weird and check lug nut torque

- and with the remainder of time between sessions -

4) Assuming you aren't having to mess with the car more beyond the above (which is why it is best to keep things with the car as simple as possible). RELAX, take a seat in the shade in your comfortable folding chair and drink some water. Talk to people, ask questions, go for ride alongs if allowed. You'll make lifelong friends and learn so much.

On track tips. Respect the warmup and cooldown laps. It may inevitably happen, but cold tires will get you on the first lap or two if you get a bit too eager once you start to push a bit more. Especially in the morning sessions.

With the cooldown: Give your brakes a chance to cool off and try to limit using the brakes unless necessary. If the cooldown lap is cut short for any reason, just do a 5mph lap around the paddock before you park the car.

Another valuable tip during the cooldown: Wave to, give thumbs up to the workers at the corner stations. This is not to just be polite, it will help you get your bearings on where they are around the track. This is super helpful as you are on your hot laps as it will help you intuitively spot any flags while you are concentrating on your driving and the environment around you. From a safety perspective every small moment counts and knowing where those stations are can save you and /or someone else.?

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
Does knowing how to heel-toe help at the track? I’ve never done this so would have to learn if it’s needed, heh.
I have rev match turned off all the time. Have watched some YouTube vids on heel-toeing and have the Acuity pedal spacer but have not tried the technique.

My feet aren’t all that big and I’m a crappy dancer so dunno if I have the needed foot coordination to pull it off, heh.
Im working on this too now. It should probably be called toe-side of foot rather than heel toe. I started by getting the feel for the blipping the throttle and clutch release by down shifting though the gears when I’m coming to a stop during my daily driving ... WELL before I need to stop(as opposed to clutch, neutral and break). Probably good to practice in a parking lot/closed street first. I needed this first because I was blipping well but releasing the clutch too late—like some people use the clutch to slow down ?.
The Acuity pedal bracket is essential in these cars IMO; so, you’ve got that covered.
Once you have the blipping downshift down, the videos will be more useful. At this point, I started the daily driving downshift a bit later adding the break and the toe side of foot technique. Its all practice after that!
Any one with more experience or advise feel free to correct or add.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Im working on this too now. It should probably be called toe-side of foot rather than heel toe. I started by getting the feel for the blipping the throttle and clutch release by down shifting though the gears when I’m coming to a stop during my daily driving ... WELL before I need to stop(as opposed to clutch, neutral and break). Probably good to practice in a parking lot/closed street first. I needed this first because I was blipping well but releasing the clutch too late—like some people use the clutch to slow down ?.
The Acuity pedal bracket is essential in these cars IMO; so, you’ve got that covered.
Once you have the blipping downshift down, the videos will be more useful. At this point, I started the daily driving downshift a bit later adding the break and the toe side of foot technique. Its all practice after that!
Any one with more experience or advise feel free to correct or add.
Acuity Pedal Spacer is definitely an essential! Likewise, couldn't figure out how to Heel-and-Toe, with the spacer it is as you described a side-step while depressing the brake with your Left side of the right foot, and then blipping with your right side of the right foot.

Throttle Pedal from the factory isn't high enough to allow this, the Acuity Pedal Spacer allowed me to learn this technique and I've near mastered it on the street! Still working on it at the Track :)

We've sold quite a few of these the last week for good reason!
Sponsored