Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
I have an SK tools torque wrench and an ingersol rand impact.
Thanks, these are nice tools. I was planning on getting the Harbor Freight ICON torque wrench, but I'll check out the SK Tools wrench.

For taking a floor jack to the track, I was looking at the ProLift 2 tons. It's only 30 lbs, and the equivalent HB Pittsburgh unit with 33 lbs is rated at 1.5 tons. Both units don't seem robust, especially if you want to do brake pad work at the track.

What floor jacks do you guys take? Is the extra size and weight (80 lbs) of the more robust units worth it?

Also is it worth it to haul VP gas jugs if you're planning on using regular 91 octane gas? Is it too much of hassle or long lines if you want to fill at the track gas station?
Sponsored

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I only bring tools for unplanned repairs, not for changing wheels or brakes at the track. Therefore, my setup is more focused on lightweight and compact. For this, I use a small scissor jack for lifting the car, and a dewalt impact gun for removing lug nuts. My impact gun is strong enough to operate the jack, so it ends up being fast and easy.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag

NukeKS14

First Name
A.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 1995 240sx, '65 Cobra Repl.
Country flag

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
What floor jacks do you guys take? Is the extra size and weight (80 lbs) of the more robust units worth it?

Also is it worth it to haul VP gas jugs if you're planning on using regular 91 octane gas? Is it too much of hassle or long lines if you want to fill at the track gas station?
I use a 2 ton AC Delco. You don't need anything fancy. Weight really doesn't matter because you are going to leave it in the paddock when you are on the track and transporting it to the track is ... not important.
dewalt impact gun for removing lug nuts.
Mine sucks, tried using it for the first time yesterday and useless. What model is yours? Not sure if my is defective or what.
How about a fire extinguisher? It should buy you time to attack the fire before it gets out of control. It takes time for the track folks to come in and longer for the fire engine truck. I just ordered Bracketeer and an extiguisher.
Uh, no, not in my opinion. Unless you are talking about a fire suppression system that gets installed in your car and not some handheld thing. First thing is to get off the track, second is to GTF out of the car.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Mine sucks, tried using it for the first time yesterday and useless. What model is yours? Not sure if my is defective or what.

Dan, which model do you have? Why is it not working? I almost placed an order for model # DCF896HB. The reason I'm looking at DeWalt is because most of my other power tools are DeWalt and I have the 20V Max batteries and chargers.

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Mine sucks, tried using it for the first time yesterday and useless. What model is yours? Not sure if my is defective or what
Mine is a DCF889B. It's rated for 400 ft-lbs. The first thing I tried when I got it was to remove some lug nuts that I had torqued to 90 ft-lbs, and it wouldn't loosen them. I was using some old batteries, and that turned out to be my problem. I got some new batteries, and the gun works great now.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Dan, which model do you have? Why is it not working? I almost placed an order for model # DCF896HB. The reason I'm looking at DeWalt is because most of my other power tools are DeWalt and I have the 20V Max batteries and chargers.
Mine is a DCF889B. It's rated for 400 ft-lbs. The first thing I tried when I got it was to remove some lug nuts that I had torqued to 90 ft-lbs, and it wouldn't loosen them. I was using some old batteries, and that turned out to be my problem. I got some new batteries, and the gun works great now.
DCF887 20v Max XR
I think I was being stupid (now that I'm not at the track and have time to slow down!)
It was not "impacting" and had terrible torque, not even 'finger tight'. Tried 2 new batteries, both of which were just fully charged.

Now for admitting my stupidity...
There is a switch on the base, near the pinky rest. On the matching cordless drill that switch controls the lights. Apparently on the impact it controls the torque range and function. It was set on screws... Changing it to "2" and pulling the trigger it sounds like it's much stronger. So yea. Should be fine now that I know how to use a cordless impact driver!

These new fangled things! Get off my lawn!

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sam3's DCF896HB and my DCF889B are 1/2" impact wrenches - These are designed to replace a 1/2" air tool. They accept 1/2" drive sockets and produce a lot of torque.

Your DCF887 is a 1/4" impact driver - These are designed to replace a screwdriver. They accept hex-shank driver bits and produce just enough torque to turn a drywall screw. Impact drivers won't be able to remove lug nuts.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Yes it's not a 1/2" drive nor do I intend for it to replace air tools (which I do not have and have never used). I don't have it handy, but the torque spec is something like 200ft-lb if I remember right. Which should be more than enough to remove a lug nut torqued to 94 ft-lbs, right?

Edit: it's a 152 ft-lbs

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've found that torque ratings on tools are way overstated, maybe even 5x depending on brand. I don't know if the ratings are based on an non-real-world test or if they are just outright lying. My guess is that your 1/4" driver could loosen a bolt that has been torqued to 30-40 ft-lbs.

Side note - Air tools are mostly a relic for me. I have lots of them I've accrued over the decades, and they sit mostly unused today. Cordless, and especially brushless cordless, tools are better in almost every way. The only air tools I still use are rotary grinders and sanders.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
One more item to add to the list: Pyrometer to measure tire temperature in the inner, middle, and outer section after sessions to figure out how much negative camber is needed.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
+1 on this, so worth the money if you work on your car or just to swap wheels at home/track.
on the subject of Milwaukee, I used a friends Milwaukee M12 air inflator and wow, it was very nice. considering picking one up for myself..
Sponsored