TPS light already?

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I'm skeptical that the cost of replacing prematurely worn tires due to over-inflation is less than the money saved by getting nominally better MPG. And that's ignoring the safety concerns. The PSI on the door jamb is not a random number. There was some actual analysis in determining it.
Sponsored

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Chances are, it wasn't recalibrated after you threw extra air in the tires. TPMS tells you if the air pressure is significantly different from where it was when it was last calibrated, not whether it's just significantly lower. So yes, what's been said, recalibrate, and life is good.

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
I'm skeptical that the cost of replacing prematurely worn tires due to over-inflation is less than the money saved by getting nominally better MPG. And that's ignoring the safety concerns. The PSI on the door jamb is not a random number. There was some actual analysis in determining it.
Running 60psi vs 44psi vs 32psi has no adverse effects on tire wear. It's been proved with real world driving over and over again xD. Of course I'm not gonna run 60 in the Civic, but my statements still stand.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Running 60psi vs 44psi vs 32psi has no adverse effects on tire wear. It's been proved with real world driving over and over again xD. Of course I'm not gonna run 60 in the Civic, but my statements still stand.
And yet you say:
[Edit]: I also slowly deflate as tread wears, due to traction problems with worn tires.

So which is it?

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And yet you say:

So which is it?
How are the two corolated in any way? Tires are going to wear as they get miles on them and worn tires = less traction, so I lower the PSI to compensate.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
When the tire is overinflated, the majority of the wear is in the center of the tire, right? So then you are reducing the PSI to wear more of the outer tire, which is going to wear even faster now because it has an uneven wear pattern (the center is already worn).

IDK, man. It's your car. Dowhatchalike....

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When the tire is overinflated, the majority of the wear is in the center of the tire, right? So then you are reducing the PSI to wear more of the outer tire, which is going to wear even faster now because it has an uneven wear pattern (the center is already worn).

IDK, man. It's your car. Dowhatchalike....
Yea I'm not really interested in fighting, and the evidence/proof is out there.

Here are some threads:

Mythbusters proving MPG increase: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mythbusters-tests-tyre-tire-pressure-17151.html

Real world tire tests (and multiple testimonies from other people): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/measured-my-tire-wear-20-000-miles-elevated-10265.html

Last edited:

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
mine just started having this issues and i am 4050 miles on my car :( and start 2 days ago and now recalibrated 2 time :( and all my tires are 35 or more:(

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I strongly suggest using the tire pressures documented on the pillar sticker. I put more faith in Honda engineers than "civilians".
Sponsored