TPS light already?

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
So as I arrived home last night, and as I was pulling into the driveway, my TPS light came on with the error 'Tire pressure low'. I checked all my pressures this morning, all at 40.5. What gives? Think a TPS sensor already died? I have only had the car 3 days!
Sponsored

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So as I arrived home last night, and as I was pulling into the driveway, my TPS light came on with the error 'Tire pressure low'. I checked all my pressures this morning, all at 40.5. What gives? Think a TPS sensor already died? I have only had the car 3 days!
The dealer probably forgot to recalibrate it. Search the forums here for plenty of other examples of similar behavior. Start the recalibration yourself and give it a few miles. It should fix the problem. BTW, I think the tire pressure is supposed to be 32 PSI in all 4 tires (at least that is what mine says).

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-civic-ex-low-tire-pressure-warning.2072/

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's supposed to be 32. I normally run max sidewall (I actually run 60PSI in my insight) due to mileage difference (~4-5mpg). I'll run the calibration when I get off work and see what happens. Thanks man.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
when running max psi. its probably also not reading the mph correctly . the speedo is reading faster than it should

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
when running max psi. its probably also not reading the mph correctly . the speedo is reading faster than it should
I have a cop friend of mine with his radar get me at 70mph with 60psi in my insight and then again at 45psi and again at 35psi. Insight has a digital MPH display. 60psi read 71, 45 read 70 and 35psi read 70. So...

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I normally run max sidewall (I actually run 60PSI in my insight) due to mileage difference (~4-5mpg).
That's a safety limit on the tire from the tire manufacturer that ignores the weight of the vehicle its used on. It's severely over-inflated for most applications. The door jamb label pressure--defined by the car manufacturer for the car in question--is the one that puts optimum tire patch contact on the road for handling and safety. But to each their own.

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a safety limit on the tire from the tire manufacturer that ignores the weight of the vehicle its used on. It's severely over-inflated for most applications. The door jamb label pressure--defined by the car manufacturer for the car in question--is the one that puts optimum tire patch contact on the road for handling and safety. But to each their own.
Absolutely no argument here. I notice significant changes in handling above 40psi. When it rains/horrible wind I always deflate to 38psi all around. My civic will probably stay at 40 unless it's raining/windy, then I drop to 32.

[Edit]: I also slowly deflate as tread wears, due to traction problems with worn tires.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I had that happen when I replaced the crappy OEM tires, have the dealership re calibrate it and it should be fine.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Absolutely no argument here. I notice significant changes in handling above 40psi. When it rains/horrible wind I always deflate to 38psi all around. My civic will probably stay at 40 unless it's raining/windy, then I drop to 32.
That compromised handling reduces safety for you and others you share the road with under all conditions. All to save a few bucks on gas? Not me, thanks.

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had that happen when I replaced the crappy OEM tires, have the dealership re calibrate it and it should be fine.
I have Firestone tires on mine, and I hate them. Is that the Honda OEM tire?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have Firestone tires on mine, and I hate them. Is that the Honda OEM tire?
yes it is, I hated them and ditched them on the 3rd day of ownership. Drove into the tire shop and got 75 bucks each for them credit towards a new set.
I chose Mastercrafts which are made by Cooper. They got me through the winter very well, rain they are great, all conditions they've been great.
The firestone garbage that came on it hydroplaned like crazy the day I drove it home when I bought it. I cannot fathom why Honda put such garbage on this car.
However I do not agree with over inflation, there is a reason they say not to do it, and it's safety, not just yours, but those you could kill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yes it is, I hated them and ditched them on the 3rd day of ownership. Drove into the tire shop and got 75 bucks each for them credit towards a new set.
I chose Mastercrafts which are made by Cooper. They got me through the winter very well, rain they are great, all conditions they've been great.
The firestone garbage that came on it hydroplaned like crazy the day I drove it home when I bought it. I cannot fathom why Honda put such garbage on this car.
Now that's funny, because on my way home from the dealership I hydroplaned as well! I wonder if Michelin defenders would turn more MPG than this garbage tire. I know where I will be going tomorrow morning :].

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now that's funny, because on my way home from the dealership I hydroplaned as well! I wonder if Michelin defenders would turn more MPG than this garbage tire. I know where I will be going tomorrow morning :].
I don't blame you, a lot of people have ditched the garbage that came on the car.
Hopefully if you don't have too many miles on they will give you something for them.
Keep in mind you will need to have the TMPS recalibrated after you put on new tires too.

OP
OP
Balto

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't blame you, a lot of people have ditched the garbage that came on the car.
Hopefully if you don't have too many miles on they will give you something for them.
Keep in mind you will need to have the TMPS recalibrated after you put on new tires too.
Only 600 miles so far. Tires look brand new tbh. And thanks, I'll take it to the dealer once I get the new tires for sure.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The steps to recal the TPMS are in the OM. (Probably the OG too.) Simple steps on the touchscreen.
Sponsored