TPMS Sensors

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
I've seen it said on here several times that the CTR uses indirect tire pressure monitoring for the deflation warning system, via the ABS wheel speed sensor. Also, the manual for the UK car says the same thing, that there is no direct monitoring of tire pressure but instead the wheel rotation speed is monitored. So far so good.

However, today my 19" wheels and winter tires were ready, and when the local dealer removed the original wheels they had a close look and pointed out that they in fact DO have pressure sensors fitted! They haven't been touched since the car was delivered, so it obviously came with them fitted.

The tire dealer can fit third party sensors that can be programmed to work on your car as they've done that for me before to avoid having to swap sensors over when you change wheels, but when they tried to get a match for the sensors that were already in there, the equipment they use reported that it couldn't find a match so they can't program the new sensors. They've contacted the company that supplies the equipment and they're waiting for a reply about why it doesn't support the sensors.

Of course I pointed out that the owner's manual pretty clearly says it doesn't use pressure sensors, so they're trying to confirm that. They did say that they have seen it a few times before where a car that doesn't use them still has sensors fitted, possibly either because valves with sensors attached were all they had available when they needed to fit the valves, or because they were just fitted by mistake, so that is a possibility.

I left the original wheels with them as they'll keep looking into it (so they weren't in the car and therefore neither were the sensors), and I went the long way round on the way home and did about 30 miles, and there was no warning from the tire deflation system. I don't know for sure, but you'd think if it was listening for signals from sensors and not getting them, that would be enough in itself to trigger the deflation warning.

So it does look to me like the car doesn't actually use the sensors and they're in fact doing nothing, but who knows? In fact that's my question - does anyone know for sure what the truth behind this is likely to be?
:confused:

Bear in mind that this is a UK car so there's always a chance that different regulations might force it to have something different fitted than US or Canadian cars (ISTR Canadian ones don't have TPMS at all). It is mandatory to have TPMS on new cars here in the UK but I don't think it matters whether it's direct or indirect, so probably no reason to do it differently to whatever they're fitting for other markets. Then again...
Sponsored

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
There is no sensor on any of the wheels itself.
Canadian civics don’t have this calibration option on the display audio system or the button. Doubtful that they have any type of TPMS, direct or indirect. My driver front was low today – visibly low – and it didn’t trigger any warnings. Any TPMS system would trigger long before it got to the point of being visibly under pressure. So I think we’re SooL. I would even pay to have an integrated system, indirect or otherwise. The closest I’ve come is some sensors that screw onto the valves and connect by Bluetooth iPhone. Got them at Costco. Great in the summer, but useless in the winter. A couple have batteries that died in the cold, another says my tire is at 200psi (it would have exploded long before reaching that... and it’s funny, because that’s the tire that’s visibly under pressure) and another says that it’s at 0psi (when I know it’s at the right pressure, because I just used a pressure gauge on it.

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
indirect TPMS is the biggest joke honda has ever come out with. i understand why they did it but should have just stayed with sensors. all day, literally ALL DAY long we have customers coming in with low tire lights on. check the tires and guess what? all right where they should be. reset the light and see you later. on the flip side ill have cars come in with 20 psi in the tires and no light is on. they came out with software updates for some vehicles to try and make the system better but its just useless.

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Canadian civics don’t have this calibration option on the display audio system or the button. Doubtful that they have any type of TPMS, direct or indirect. My driver front was low today – visibly low – and it didn’t trigger any warnings. Any TPMS system would trigger long before it got to the point of being visibly under pressure. So I think we’re SooL. I would even pay to have an integrated system, indirect or otherwise. The closest I’ve come is some sensors that screw onto the valves and connect by Bluetooth iPhone. Got them at Costco. Great in the summer, but useless in the winter. A couple have batteries that died in the cold, another says my tire is at 200psi (it would have exploded long before reaching that... and it’s funny, because that’s the tire that’s visibly under pressure) and another says that it’s at 0psi (when I know it’s at the right pressure, because I just used a pressure gauge on it.

Canadian version doesn't get the feature of TPMS, so I had to find another way to boost up my safety
I purchased this kind of device that hooks up to OBD port and it works perfectly.
It will show which tire is running flat and gives warning with sound and flashes
I tested the device with about 25 psi and it works like a charm.
I think it's better than the factory TPMS that the US version has caz it will tell you which tire is flat instead of just a general warning.
Ebay sells it too now
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/282856260100

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS Sensors tpms car

Scott SiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #232, 2003 Accord 6-6, 2010 Accord 6-6
Vehicle Showcase
Canadian version doesn't get the feature of TPMS, so I had to find another way to boost up my safety
I purchased this kind of device that hooks up to OBD port and it works perfectly.
It will show which tire is running flat and gives warning with sound and flashes
I tested the device with about 25 psi and it works like a charm.
I think it's better than the factory TPMS that the US version has caz it will tell you which tire is flat instead of just a general warning.
Ebay sells it too now
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/282856260100

tpms car.png
If this hooks up to your OBDII Port then this is another indirect system that probably works like Honda's TPMS which I have found unreliable as several people have mentioned. I bought a system with sensor's that screw into the valve stem and came with a separate monitor. No problems so far with the batteries going dead, though they are replaceable. The system paid for itself when it alerted me that one of my tires was going flat. Of course the factory TPMS said everything was still fine :mad:
Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS Sensors IMG_1555.JPG

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If this hooks up to your OBDII Port then this is another indirect system that probably works like Honda's TPMS which I have found unreliable as several people have mentioned. I bought a system with sensor's that screw into the valve stem and came with a separate monitor. No problems so far with the batteries going dead, though they are replaceable. The system paid for itself when it alerted me that one of my tires was going flat. Of course the factory TPMS said everything was still fine :mad:
IMG_1555.JPG
Did you try this in -25 Celsius?

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
IMG_1555.JPG
Does anyone know at which pressure reading does the factory TMPS alert you? It may be that the factory setting has caused it to not alert you above what Honda think is still okay?
My TPMS device alerts me when the pressure has lost 30% of what is normal pressure.
It would make more sense to me that the ABS sensor which is used in both factory tpms and my tpms is not at fault since its pretty unreasonable for ABS to fail. Might just be the factory TPMS that's crappy

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know at which pressure reading does the factory TMPS alert you? It may be that the factory setting has caused it to not alert you above what Honda think is still okay?
My TPMS device alerts me when the pressure has lost 30% of what is normal pressure.
It would make more sense to me that the ABS sensor which is used in both factory tpms and my tpms is not at fault since its pretty unreasonable for ABS to fail. Might just be the factory TPMS that's crappy
No. Canada just plainly doesn’t have any TPMS at all in the Civic. Idk about Si or CTR, but Touring and below in coupe and sedan and Sport Touring and below in hatchback all don’t have any TPMS at all (neither direct nor indirect).

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
No TPMS sensors in the Type R wheels. There is a system that measures the diameter of the tires.

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
No. Canada just plainly doesn’t have any TPMS at all in the Civic. Idk about Si or CTR, but Touring and below in coupe and sedan and Sport Touring and below in hatchback all don’t have any TPMS at all (neither direct nor indirect).
You are talking about stock/factory feature right?
All cars with ABS system is capable of getting an indirect TPMS installed so Honda civic is capable
That's why i buy the OBD TPMS device for my Canadian Civic. Basically, it gets the data from ABS sensor and sends to the device then warns you when you have a flat
Works like a charm, you should check it out online
Sponsored