Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I just got an update from Metra, the unit now will also reset the oil life and other maintenance items!
IMG_0477.jpg
The ad on the Metra site indicates something along the lines of: "Maintains most of the OEM features". What features didn't transfer over?

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I can't think of anything. BUT... I haven't had the OEM radio in there for a long time. Before this metra kit came out I had a dashkit and the LX climate controls, I hated the OEM radio that much. AFAIK I am not missing any features. I know there are TypeR things that you lose if you have one of those.

The ad on the Metra site indicates something along the lines of: "Maintains most of the OEM features". What features didn't transfer over?

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
I can't think of anything. BUT... I haven't had the OEM radio in there for a long time. Before this metra kit came out I had a dashkit and the LX climate controls, I hated the OEM radio that much. AFAIK I am not missing any features. I know there are TypeR things that you lose if you have one of those.
I watched your video, then went thru my '21 Type-R vehicle options screen and compared the two. These are the items in my OEM head unit that don't seem to be in the Metra unit:

Driver Assist System Setup
- Forward Collision Warning Distance
- ACC Forward Vehicle Detect Beep
- Lane Keeping Assist Suspend Beep
- Road Departure Mitigation Setting
- Rev Match System
Meter Setup
- Shift Up Backlight
- Shift Up Alarm
- Turn By Turn Auto Display
- New Message Notifications
- Gear Position Display
Keyless Access Setup
- Door Unlock Mode
- Keyless Access Light Flash
- Keyless Access Beep
Maintenance Info

Granted, you even said that you had an update since that video was taken, so that Maintenance Info is now there.

I also know you mentioned that Rev Match option isn't there, nor will it be. What about the others listed above? Have any of them been added?

Thanks,

-bob

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I don't have a typer to compare things too. From what I understood though, they knew things were going to be left out for the typer segment. I think they were focused on the larger body of cars. I would not plan on them updating it to cover the typeR things.
One thing I saw on your list that is there is Keyless access, I have those options on my menu.

I watched your video, then went thru my '21 Type-R vehicle options screen and compared the two. These are the items in my OEM head unit that don't seem to be in the Metra unit:

Driver Assist System Setup
- Forward Collision Warning Distance
- ACC Forward Vehicle Detect Beep
- Lane Keeping Assist Suspend Beep
- Road Departure Mitigation Setting
- Rev Match System
Meter Setup
- Shift Up Backlight
- Shift Up Alarm
- Turn By Turn Auto Display
- New Message Notifications
- Gear Position Display
Keyless Access Setup
- Door Unlock Mode
- Keyless Access Light Flash
- Keyless Access Beep
Maintenance Info

Granted, you even said that you had an update since that video was taken, so that Maintenance Info is now there.

I also know you mentioned that Rev Match option isn't there, nor will it be. What about the others listed above? Have any of them been added?

Thanks,

-bob

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have a typer to compare things too. From what I understood though, they knew things were going to be left out for the typer segment. I think they were focused on the larger body of cars. I would not plan on them updating it to cover the typeR things.
One thing I saw on your list that is there is Keyless access, I have those options on my menu.
Conversely, the ONLY Civic I have is a Type-R, so I don't know which options (other than rev match) are Type-R specific. That's why I listed every option that wasn't shown on the video - to hopefully get a current update so I could figure out which features are missing.

-bob

chester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
We may not really care if the Rev Match option is there or not. I never turn it off. Does the on/off status for the rev match just stay at the last setting with this upgrade? If so, that's fine with me.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We may not really care if the Rev Match option is there or not. I never turn it off. Does the on/off status for the rev match just stay at the last setting with this upgrade? If so, that's fine with me.
I'm with you. I've never turned it off, nor do I intend to. So long as it doesn't change ( and I expect it won't) I'm fine leaving it that way forever.

I'm just not sure about all those other options.

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Yes the rev match option stays at what ever the last setting is at before the infotainment system is removed.

Forward Collision Warning Distance
- ACC Forward Vehicle Detect Beep (unsure my type r doesn't have this)
- Lane Keeping Assist Suspend Beep (unsure my type r doesn't have this)
- Road Departure Mitigation Setting (unsure my type r doesn't have this)
- Rev Match System (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Shift Up Backlight (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Shift Up Alarm (unsure my type r doesn't have this [I think, I've never noticed it at redline])
- Turn By Turn Auto Display (no longer available)
- New Message Notifications (no longer available)
- Gear Position Display (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
Keyless Access Setup (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Door Unlock Mode (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Keyless Access Light Flash (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Keyless Access Beep (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)

Most android deck with a can bus box for the civic x can do what the metra is doing, but you need to bypass the stock amp and run new speaker wires to each door speaker. Even 4 cheap after market speakers will sound better than the stock 12 channels.

Last edited:

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
But then you are stuck with a potentially unreliable radio...

Yes the rev match option stays at what ever the last setting is at before the infotainment system is removed.

Forward Collision Warning Distance
- ACC Forward Vehicle Detect Beep (unsure my type r doesn't have this)
- Lane Keeping Assist Suspend Beep (unsure my type r doesn't have this)
- Road Departure Mitigation Setting (unsure my type r doesn't have this)
- Rev Match System (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Shift Up Backlight (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Shift Up Alarm (unsure my type r doesn't have this [I think, I've never noticed it at redline])
- Turn By Turn Auto Display (no longer available)
- New Message Notifications (no longer available)
- Gear Position Display (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
Keyless Access Setup (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Door Unlock Mode (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Keyless Access Light Flash (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)
- Keyless Access Beep (stays at what ever setting it was at before infotainment was removed)

Most android deck with a can bus box for the civic x can do what the metra is doing, but you need to bypass the stock amp and run new speaker wires to each door speaker. Even 4 cheap after market speakers will sound better than the stock 12 channels.

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
yes long term wise reliability could be an issue. If it does come to that then I'll see it more of an opportunity to upgrade lol. I'm not saying get the cheapest one you can find, buying a "name brand" helps with quality control and reliability. Specs (ram/rom) really makes a difference.

I myself went with the joying brand. Have it on my rx7 and never had any issues. Only down side is Bluetooth obd2 has to come from them or it won't pair. Their harness needs some modification for manual cars to get the reverse camera working.
Sponsored