TPMS did not light up before flat tire

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback EX 2017
Country flag
Hello every one. So I had a flat tire earlier this evening. After I put on some gas I was still able to drive probably around 4-5 miles and during the middle of the drive I was already feeling something's off on my side but at first I thought I just had something stuck underneath because of the vibration and sound. My TPMS never warned me of low tire pressure. It didn't go flat right away as I was able to drive a couple of miles crossing one city to another. So my question is, shouldn't TPMS be lighting up though during the drive once pressure started going low? If I'm not mistaken it should light up once it's lower than 25% of normal PSI. I'm taking it to my dealership tomorrow but just wanted some input. Thanks guys. By the way I have a 2017 civic hatchback ex. What's funny is my TPMS lighted up right away when spare tire was put on but never lit up during the whole flat tire process.

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS did not light up before flat tire 52341416241__9725AB65-A1F2-4A06-83B8-D0388CF289D5.JPG
Sponsored

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
You may get more of a response in the non Type-R section for this. Less people frequent this sub-forum I believe. :)

I'm a little surprised it didn't light up as your tire went flat, especially with 5 miles of driving on it. I'm not too familiar with the new TPMS system they have now that is indirect, but hopefully your dealer can get your sorted!

OP
OP
raibola

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You may get more of a response in the non Type-R section for this. Less people frequent this sub-forum I believe. :)

I'm a little surprised it didn't light up as your tire went flat, especially with 5 miles of driving on it. I'm not too familiar with the new TPMS system they have now that is indirect, but hopefully your dealer can get your sorted!
Oh shoot i didnt even realize that I sent it on the wrong thread. thanks!

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
Yeah man this new indirect TPMS system is complete garbage and i wish Honda would get back into sensors. its very simple it just looks at wheel speed using the wheel speed sensors and then calculates if a tire has low pressure based on the tire spinning faster or slower than the others. i see cars in the shop all day long 10-15 psi under spec with no light on. and on the flip side we have people stopping in all day long with low tire light on and every tire set perfectly to spec. garbage system, plus your average customer doesn't realize this system you have to manually reset the light, wont just turn off with driving. sorry to hear man super annoying.

OP
OP
raibola

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah man this new indirect TPMS system is complete garbage and i wish Honda would get back into sensors. its very simple it just looks at wheel speed using the wheel speed sensors and then calculates if a tire has low pressure based on the tire spinning faster or slower than the others. i see cars in the shop all day long 10-15 psi under spec with no light on. and on the flip side we have people stopping in all day long with low tire light on and every tire set perfectly to spec. garbage system, plus your average customer doesn't realize this system you have to manually reset the light, wont just turn off with driving. sorry to hear man super annoying.
It is annoying. What sucks is dealership messed up my rim :( they had to change the tire and they fucked up my rim with scratches all over. Good thing I checked before leaving the dealership and they will fix it next week.

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
UGHHH that sucks man! :banghead: sounds like they probably dont have the right tire machine for the job

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
That sucks man, I dont have TPMS caz i live in Canada thankfully.
But I wouldn't risk my life without a safety system tho.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/282856260100
Check it out it's pretty good product, I use the same thing on my civic 16.
It will show you which tire is flat when it runs flat to about losing 30% of normal tire pressure

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Regardless of the system used... whether it's using speed sensors or pressure sensors... it didn't work, and the speed sensors, if functioning properly should have caught this. I'd take it in to the dealer.

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Regardless of the system used... whether it's using speed sensors or pressure sensors... it didn't work, and the speed sensors, if functioning properly should have caught this. I'd take it in to the dealer.
Yeah for sure, the ABS system failure might be the issue or just the software failure
The speed sensor is the ABS sensor, which is the same thing my device gets the data from, mine just has additional feature that shows which tire is flat

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is so true!

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I think the system is fine. My e46 also runs this system and it's quite good . Those sensors are easy to damage and it's expensive to replace .
Sponsored