TPMS Calibration not working?

j762

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I have the 2018 EX Hatchback. After dealer ran rotation test and oil change, I got "low tire pressure" on my dashboard. I hit the TPMS calibration and the warming disappeared until five minutes later. I have done some research on the internet but I don't see anyone getting low tire pressure message after calibration. If anyone has idea what's happening, it'd be appreciated.

ps. Dealer assured all tire pressure is good. I tried to keep my speed between 35-65mph as possible as I could but it's hard.

Thanks in advance.
-J
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I have the 2018 EX Hatchback. After dealer ran rotation test and oil change, I got "low tire pressure" on my dashboard. I hit the TPMS calibration and the warming disappeared until five minutes later. I have done some research on the internet but I don't see anyone getting low tire pressure message after calibration. If anyone has idea what's happening, it'd be appreciated.

ps. Dealer assured all tire pressure is good. I tried to keep my speed between 35-65mph as possible as I could but it's hard.

Thanks in advance.
-J
I have never seen my TPMS light come on, and I have played about and changed the tire pressures anything up to +- 5 psi from the factory settings. (admittedly, all 4 tires are always within 2 psi of each other during this time, so no major Unbalance, which is really what the Honda Indirect TPMS is looking for)

I now have them set to Exactly the factory settings at 40 Def F, which is about the average ambient temperature here in Maryland during the past month or 2.

I know EXACTLY what each tire pressure is at any time (to within 1 psi and their temperature) , even when I am driving, because I have fitted an aftermarket DIRECT reading TPMS system.

To date, the Honda Indirect TPMS has given me no useful information, and has never got triggered by cold weather, or after prolonged Interstate driving.

I am beginning to wonder what I must do to set it off, and make sure it is working, not that I really care... "let sleeping dogs lie" -- yes i did mean LIE, not a typo

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS Calibration not working? 20181224_151223

Last edited:
OP
OP
j762

j762

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I have never seen my TPMS light come on, and I have played about and changed the tire pressures anything up to +- 5 psi from the factory settings. (admittedly, all 4 tires are always within 2 psi of each other during this time, so no major Unbalance, which is really what the Honda Indirect TPMS is looking for)

I now have them set to Exactly the factory settings at 40 Def F, which is about the average ambient temperature here in Maryland during the past month or 2.

I know EXACTLY what each tire pressure is at any time (to within 1 psi and their temperature) , even when I am driving, because I have fitted an aftermarket DIRECT reading TPMS system.

To date, the Honda Indirect TPMS has given me no useful information, and has never got triggered by cold weather, or after prolonged Interstate driving.

I am beginning to wonder what I must do to set it off, and make sure it is working, not that I really care... "let sleeping dogs lie" -- yes i did mean LIE, not a typo

20181224_151223.jpg
Great thoughts. I will consider direct TPMS system to monitor state of car better. I think the original system is more like a backup plan, so at least driver wouldn't get into critical danger.

For now this TPMS system is all I've got, so I'm probably gonna to do calibration again later today.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Check tires pressure by yourself . If pressures are good return to the dealer on warranty
I don't truss the dealer.
Check you oil level too.

OP
OP
j762

j762

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Check tires pressure by yourself . If pressures are good return to the dealer on warranty
I don't truss the dealer.
Check you oil level too.
Okay. Will do so before I hit the road.
They are a pretty large dealer but to be honest I havent seen a great reason myself to trust everything they say. It's just too bad that I know too little.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You will learn.
I alway go at my small town mechanic I know since loooooog time

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Check tires pressure by yourself ...
THIS !!!!!

Also, buy a tire gauge and check them. Whose to say driving off the lot you didn't pick a nail up in a tire? And try recalibration too. I believe it takes a certain number of miles/time to get the calibration to set - Check the owners manual for details.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Other than the above suggestions - it has been my experience in my 2016 Touring that I need to re-calibrate 2-3 times before it "sticks" and undoubtedly after the first calibration the light comes back on several minutes later just as you described.

OP
OP
j762

j762

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
THIS !!!!!

Also, buy a tire gauge and check them. Whose to say driving off the lot you didn't pick a nail up in a tire? And try recalibration too. I believe it takes a certain number of miles/time to get the calibration to set - Check the owners manual for details.
I was thinking to pick up a tire gauge at Walmart. What do you think? I feel that this thing doesn't have to be expensive and fancy. A $10 one should do the job.

OP
OP
j762

j762

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Other than the above suggestions - it has been my experience in my 2016 Touring that I need to re-calibrate 2-3 times before it "sticks" and undoubtedly after the first calibration the light comes back on several minutes later just as you described.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. So far I only calibrate it once so I'm gonna give it another one or two try, and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was thinking to pick up a tire gauge at Walmart. What do you think? I feel that this thing doesn't have to be expensive and fancy. A $10 one should do the job.
That one few member like;

Honda Civic 10th gen TPMS Calibration not working? Capture d’écran, le 2019-01-10 à 15.19.06

OP
OP
j762

j762

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
An update for everyone who has the same issue. I tested it out twice that the solution for this low-tire-pressure warning is calibrate TPMS system multiple times. I have no idea why, but it seems the first calibration never work like @ResortCasual commented.
Also a thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and experience!

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. So far I only calibrate it once so I'm gonna give it another one or two try, and I'll let y'all know how it goes.
just go to a gas station with automatic tire pressure air. you put 32 on the screen and it will release or add air as needed. mine came on when i got my car the day after. and the air pump at shell told me my tires were at 25psi instead of 32 and it filled it up to 32. then just reset the sensor. if your pressure is low it will keep coming back on which is the whole point.

kurokitsune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had the same problem of the low tire pressure warning coming on after servicing. I took it to the dealer a few times and it was quite a headache since they would fix whatever they found and say it looked good just to have the warning come back on in 48hrs. I finally just recalibrated it about 3 times and bam it went away.
Happened again after my servicing last week where they did wheel alignment, but once more the 3rd tire recalibration did the trick. Pretty annoying that this doesn't work right.

I had been considering getting the ZUS active tire pressure monitoring system, but quite a few amazon reviewers have had the special tire caps get fused to their valves so I decided against it.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
My brand new 7 mile old 2019 has tpms on twice. I adjusted air and reset. Then just reset. It never came back on now...the dealer had 40+ psi at delivery. I adjusted back to stock spec. Surprised it came back 1 day after fixing and then now have gone over 2 weeks problem free.
Sponsored