TPMS and spare tire

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Does anyone know if the TPMS alert will go on if the pressure in the spare tire is too low? My alert came on yesterday and I stopped to check all four tires....they were all around 33 psi. I called my dad to ask his advice and he told me that on his Toyota the alert came on when the pressure for his spare was low. I just checked the spare and it was at 40 psi (instead of the recommended 60). I might be answering my own question, but just wanted to confirm if the spare has a sensor too.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know if the TPMS alert will go on if the pressure in the spare tire is too low? My alert came on yesterday and I stopped to check all four tires....they were all around 33 psi. I called my dad to ask his advice and he told me that on his Toyota the alert came on when the pressure for his spare was low. I just checked the spare and it was at 40 psi (instead of the recommended 60). I might be answering my own question, but just wanted to confirm if the spare has a sensor too.
No, assuming the spare is not currently in use.

The tires on the tenth gen Civics do not have TPMS sensors in them. Tire pressure is indirectly measured by the ABS sensors.

Have you recalibrated since checking the pressures?

OP
OP
mathdydx

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag

The tires on the tenth gen Civics do not have TPMS sensors in them. Tire pressure is indirectly measured by the ABS sensors.

I'm home today, but will recalibrate tomorrow when I use the car. Hopefully that will turn off the TPMS alert. Thanks.

noelbnetz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

wait seriously? so if i buy new wheels and tires, it wont set off any dash bulbs??

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Compares rotational speed of each wheel as you drive. There is a speed sensor at each wheel for ABS brake operation. Data from these sensors is also used by the computer for tire pressure analysis.

Civics have an "indirect" tire pressure monitoring system. Air pressure in each tire is not measured directly with a sensor.

A tire's circumference and rotational speed are affected by its air pressure. The computer can evaluate the wheel speed data and determine when a tire's pressure is significantly different from the other tires.

Spare tire pressure is not monitored.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Compares rotational speed of each wheel as you drive. There is a speed sensor at each wheel for ABS brake operation. Data from these sensors is also used by the computer for tire pressure analysis.

Civics have an "indirect" tire pressure monitoring system. Air pressure in each tire is not measured directly with a sensor.

A tire's circumference and rotational speed are affected by its air pressure. The computer can evaluate the wheel speed data and determine when a tire's pressure is significantly different from the other tires.

Spare tire pressure is not monitored.

Wow! Thanks for the answer

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
How this work with no sensor in wheel ?
All based on rotation speed. I believe Honda, Mazda, Hyundai all does this.

For general purposes, it makes sense and beats paying $500 every 7-8 years to replace TPMS. Also great for those of us with multiple sets of wheels.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
An indirect TPMS typically relies on wheel speed sensors that the anti-lock brake system uses. These sensors measure the rate of revolution each wheel is making and can be used by on-board computer systems to compare with each other and to other vehicle operation data such as speed.

Based on the rate of revolution of each wheel, the computer can interpret the relative size of the tires on your vehicle. When a wheel starts spinning faster than expected, the computer calculates that the tire is underinflated and alert the driver accordingly.

So, an indirect tire pressure monitoring system doesn’t actually measure tire pressure. It’s not electronically processing the same kind of measurement you might see with a tire gauge. Instead, an indirect tire pressure monitor simply measures how fast your tires are rotating and sends signals to the computer that will actuate the indicator light when something in the rotation seems amiss.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tre...ire-pressure-monitoring-system-how-tpms-works

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
My 2006 BMW also used rotational speed. Works fairly well. It's nothing new at all. However, when you mount a spare, you may get an alert. Our 2011 Audi Q5 also had it. Except the Audi required a scan tool to reset the fault I found. SO I bought the OBDII dongle and iphone app.... then I sold the car. haha. Honda has their ECU pretty locked down. Can't pull up much data or change anything in the settings. Although msot things are adjustable from the display already.

Also, it will alert if all tires are a little over inflated I've found. Not just wheel to wheel differential. So when it warms up in the spring, depending on the stored pressures when you calibrated it can throw an alert when things warm up.

Overall, much, much better than our Nissans that used sensors. I think both of those cars had sensors faults.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
When you recalibrate make sure you drive around for awhile ... I had issues with my tire pressure monitoring until I finally recalibrated than drove around for 20+ minutes

(Check tires first obviously, but assuming they are good to go - Tpms needs time to adjust)

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When you recalibrate make sure you drive around for awhile ... I had issues with my tire pressure monitoring until I finally recalibrated than drove around for 20+ minutes

(Check tires first obviously, but assuming they are good to go - Tpms needs time to adjust)

So, an indirect tire pressure monitoring system doesn’t actually measure tire pressure. It’s not electronically processing the same kind of measurement you might see with a tire gauge. Instead, an indirect tire pressure monitor simply measures how fast your tires are rotating and sends signals to the computer that will actuate the indicator light when something in the rotation seems ami

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
My TPS light just went off two days ago in my coupe. My front tires were ~3lbs. lower than in the rear. Filled up, recalibrated and light stayed off. So -- the system seems to work.

You can't get pressure readings from this type of system though.

raymondmit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Does the OEM tpms tell you which tire is under pressure or it just lights up and you need to check every tire?
Sponsored