TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
And the journey continues....

Our new one, with just over 3812 miles, just had it happen right now. So from now on we are just going to stop the car and call Honda Roadside and have them pay for tows every time it occurs. Will update as our problems with this one continue.

And for the official record....My girlfriend was not connected to the car via Hondalink or even Bluetooth when this occurred as she had Bluetooth on her phone off.
Sponsored

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
JediSkipdogg - it's a defect in the software. Nothing your dealer can do to fix your problems until Honda debugs and releases their software to the dealers.

With all due respect, you're overreacting. There's nothing unsafe with your car.

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
JediSkipdogg - it's a defect in the software. Nothing your dealer can do to fix your problems until Honda debugs and releases their software to the dealers.

With all due respect, you're overreacting. There's nothing unsafe with your car.
Then they should fix it. Software patches are simple fixes generally. If they claim the message means nothing, then they should simply delete the message from the software and release that as the update.

I'm not the one that designed the system or the software, it states to not drive the vehicle, so we ate following the software. I work in law enforcement and see huge cases where people's lives are hell from following manufacture directions. The initial claims back in the day of I think Toyota having the stuck accelerator resulted in drivers being charged for crashes when Toyota told them their vehicles were safe to drive. I'm not loozing to get in that boat.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Then they should fix it. Software patches are simple fixes generally.
Nobody has said they shouldn't fix it.

Software problems are only simple to patch in iPhone fart app world. In the real world of intermittent software faults in complex, deeply embedded, multi-processor, regulatory-compliant products, with safety-critical functions, sold in multi-national markets, they aren't simple fixes at all. BMW, to name one, has already had to do a Safety Recall because they released a "simple" product update to some body control code that introduced a new defect that violated the FMVSS.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Agree with your conclusion but it could very well be a hardware/loose ground/voltage fluctuation issue. There could be a interim "software fix" that basically says "ignore the issue" but then you might mask/ignore a true problem.

epicstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
So some interesting news guys. It's been about 4 weeks since my dealership replaced my VSA Modulator and everything seems to be good. I haven't had the ACC freakout since. I don't know if this is a coincidence though.

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I only get this issue when using my car in accessory mode. In fact, I get it about 50% of the time or greater after using it in accessory mode. I just clear the error and move along. I hope one I don't have a real failure that leads to me ignoring it and something bad happening.

Does anybody have a written record of Honda stating that we should "ignore" this issue? If so, it would be a slam dunk lawsuit against Honda if one of these parts breaks for real, we ignore the error, and something bad happens.

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I only get this issue when using my car in accessory mode. In fact, I get it about 50% of the time or greater after using it in accessory mode. I just clear the error and move along. I hope one I don't have a real failure that leads to me ignoring it and something bad happening.

Does anybody have a written record of Honda stating that we should "ignore" this issue? If so, it would be a slam dunk lawsuit against Honda if one of these parts breaks for real, we ignore the error, and something bad happens.
Thats what I'm starting to find out as well. To me it's a power issue and since it's generally on startup, I don't think the battery is enough to properly start the vehicle if not 100% fully charged. The dealership has had my car going on 10 days now and says they can't replicate it even after I provided them that info. Probably just picking it up today and taking it somewhere else.

As for your second "ignore" item...there are photos in this thread of repair orders where dealerships typed it was safe to drive. Mine refuses to type that but has verbally told me it is.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
As for your second "ignore" item...there are photos in this thread of repair orders where dealerships typed it was safe to drive. Mine refuses to type that but has verbally told me it is.
Interesting that your dealer refuses to "write" that it is safe to drive but will verbally say that - ask them if they are willing to be "recorded" saying that it is safe.

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Interesting that your dealer refuses to "write" that it is safe to drive but will verbally say that - ask them if they are willing to be "recorded" saying that it is safe.
Ohio has one party recording notification law, so everything I do with them is recorded.

So the saga continues...pick up vehicle after 8 days of them saying give them one more day because they can't replicate it or get the messages to show up. I don't even get in the car and the messages are there. So to another dealer I go.

OP
OP
t3hub3rk1tten

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM

I can get errors to show up by starting the car while in accessory mode. You can set the notification noise in the Android settings to silent so you don't hear them ding.

As the person who created this thread ~10 months ago and I think was the first to encounter this issue: I am not dead yet, and the forecasts look good. It is safe to drive. You can see from many posts in this thread that the errors are spurious. If there were something wrong, the components involved would throw DTCs. Occam's razor and all.

There's obviously a design flaw or software error. I've speculated on how earlier in the thread. Oh well, it doesn't affect the car much for me, still love it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The dealer is not Honda. Why should they go out on that limb for Honda? The dealer can only do so much. If Honda doesn't have a fix for it but says it's OK for the customer to drive, there really isn't any way for the dealer to know anything else nor anything more the dealer can do.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
@JediSkipdogg - you're driving yourself nuts with this issue. Please, my friend, reset your unit and ensure that the Honda apps aren't on any phones you connect. Yeah, you may well get the errors again, but they are specious. I'm assuming that Honda software (actually, likely the company they've outsourced it to) is working on a fix. Or it's hardware related.

Most importantly - R-E-L-A-X.

In no way is your nice care unsafe to drive. If you didn't know what that little yellow envelope meant, you wouldn't even know there was an issue.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can get errors to show up by starting the car while in accessory mode. You can set the notification noise in the Android settings to silent so you don't hear them ding.

As the person who created this thread ~10 months ago and I think was the first to encounter this issue: I am not dead yet, and the forecasts look good. It is safe to drive. You can see from many posts in this thread that the errors are spurious. If there were something wrong, the components involved would throw DTCs. Occam's razor and all.

There's obviously a design flaw or software error. I've speculated on how earlier in the thread. Oh well, it doesn't affect the car much for me, still love it.
yup gotten the error messages from putting the car in accessory mode. and replicated 2 more times the same way. i just read the messages and by the time i start the car again its gone. i guess as long as it does not show up on the main dash then you are fine.

JediSkipdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
@JediSkipdogg - you're driving yourself nuts with this issue. Please, my friend, reset your unit and ensure that the Honda apps aren't on any phones you connect. Yeah, you may well get the errors again, but they are specious. I'm assuming that Honda software (actually, likely the company they've outsourced it to) is working on a fix. Or it's hardware related.

Most importantly - R-E-L-A-X.

In no way is your nice care unsafe to drive. If you didn't know what that little yellow envelope meant, you wouldn't even know there was an issue.
It may be true, but the last car threw all the messages up on the dash during the final time. This was a car with 5800 miles on it and at 6 pm in another city (2 hours from home) where no dealerships were open. We bought this vehicle to take long road trips and since we were stranded once in the old one after being guaranteed it was safe, we aren't taking chances.

And the new one the other day threw over 40 errors in the course of the night. We even have video of it throwing the battery light on the dash, but the sister dealership of where we bought it from said no trouble code was stored and that they couldn't investigate further because we needed the original dealership to handle our warranty claim. So basically a Honda dealership this morning refused to honor the Honda warranty.

And we have no phones, no dash cam, no electronics connected. What should we do next? Drive without the phones even in the vehicle (which Honda told us it may be our Galaxy S7 with Wifi and Bluetooth Off is the problem.) Ok, then they can buy me an IPhone and I'll test that theory. :/
Sponsored