TPMS + ABS + Brake system + ACC freak out?

mcaloway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I am not sure but am thinking that may have already been done. It is at the dealership now so I hope to know more soon.
Sponsored

mcaloway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Dealer could not find a problem and could not get car to duplicate. All recalls and updates have been performed. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
i've had it happen three timed in the 12,000 miles on my hatchback..........if you turn off the car and start it again it works.....I assume that whatever program handles it has a critical error and crashes

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
starting to get this issue on my EX-T now. Except it lights up my dash as well as the head unit. I reflashed my tune again and it went away. Drove about 50 miles and it came back again after starting up my car this morning. Think next step is to reflash back to stock and see if this issue still occurs.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
First incident happened, today. I downshifted at low speed because an asshole was trying to pass me in the parking lane, and all of a sudden all the brake related systems started popping up on my HUD. Including the steering system. I honestly thought one of the wheel speed sensors snapped or something because I just recently finished bagging my car. Its an ex-t coupe with 22k miles on it. I noticed this same sequence when flashing the ecu. I read Syntek's post and decided trying to reflash the ecu. It looks like it might've worked. Drove about a mile around the block and everything seems to be working normally, again.

mxmzd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Hi! I'm new here (and also a non-native English speaker) and just wanted to share some experience. We got our 2017 Civic EX-T (new!) on Sunday. Test drive was pleasant, even though that the battery was empty and they had to get an external one. We signed the deal while they let run the engine, washed the car and filled the gas tank up.

On the way home we got a lot of errors relating to the brake system, even though that the brakes are working just fine. Long story short: The car is at the dealership again since yesterday. They reset the car and ordered a new fuse and said it should be fixed by today. Well to be fair, after what I read here I'm not sure that this is true. We opened a case with corporate so we could use the lemon law if necessary. They were really surprised to have such an issue with a Civic and 21 miles...

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think its just an intermittent glitch. Its just like any other computer. PC, MAC, Android, iPhone. Sometimes, software just doesn't work right. I reset my car, and everything is functioning the way it should, again.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Hi! I'm new here (and also a non-native English speaker) and just wanted to share some experience. We got our 2017 Civic EX-T (new!) on Sunday. Test drive was pleasant, even though that the battery was empty and they had to get an external one. We signed the deal while they let run the engine, washed the car and filled the gas tank up.

On the way home we got a lot of errors relating to the brake system, even though that the brakes are working just fine. Long story short: The car is at the dealership again since yesterday. They reset the car and ordered a new fuse and said it should be fixed by today. Well to be fair, after what I read here I'm not sure that this is true. We opened a case with corporate so we could use the lemon law if necessary. They were really surprised to have such an issue with a Civic and 21 miles...
What is up with vehicles on dealer lots having dead batteries. Happened when we went to test drive my wife's Jetta. Fortunately I had a car battery charger at home so I could make sure it was fully charged, even though they jumped it and the car starts, it doesn't mean the battery isn't low.

mxmzd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
The sales rep said that it's usually them forgetting some lights etc..

We got the car back. What they did: After resetting it the error messages disappeared, but the brake system light was still on. That's why they changed the fuse and also gave us a new battery. Then they gave us the car back. So far we didn't get any new problem.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Why would the dealer give you a car back with a "brake system problem" and why did you accept it?

mxmzd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Why would the dealer give you a car back with a "brake system problem" and why did you accept it?
I edited my previous post, because I see why this could be misleading. We didn't get the car back with any issues, they checked everything first.

What initially happened was:
It didn't occur during the test ride and started on our way home. I wasn't too stressed about it first, because 1) dead battery 2) freshly washed 3) standing with running engine for easily 2 hrs. With other cars I had issues after washing them and not driving fast enough so the ABS sensors could do their self-check. But because the problem was still there we brought it back to the dealership. And now they fixed it.

Again: Non-native speaker, sorry :) Just moved here in October.

Last edited:

jeffreyj

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I know this thread hasn't seen activity in a long while, but I just went through all these issues on a used '16 LX I picked up a couple of months ago, and wanted to share my experience.

To keep a long story short, I had this issue (5 errors showing up on the head unit when going from accessory mode to "on" or starting the car), that was fixed after service visit number 5. After each visit, it was fine when I picked it up, but would return shortly later. By the end, I was able to reproduce this issue with ease, after 20 seconds in Accessory Mode, starting the car would throw up these errors.

The visits went as follows:
1) Replaced screen to fix restart issue (most likely unrelated), and updated software to latest 2016 version
2) Cleaned radar screen because the technician thought that was it (can't believe that was their fix...)
3) Updated software to 2017/2018 version (1.F190.25)
4) Replaced battery due to low voltage measured on startup
5) Re-flashed all the computer modules in the car (don't have all the acronyms with me to list them), but this fixed it (fingers crossed)

I notice now that on startup, the ACC and CMBS lights stay on until everything else has turned on. I imagine the software was updated to delay the startup of these systems until the car is on, to avoid these issues. The dealer didn't seem like they really knew what was going on, they had to get Honda Canada involved to remotely diagnose and work on this issue. However, things seem good now so hopefully the issue doesn't reappear again, it got quite frustrating going to the dealer this frequently!

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
I know this thread hasn't seen activity in a long while, but I just went through all these issues on a used '16 LX I picked up a couple of months ago, and wanted to share my experience.

To keep a long story short, I had this issue (5 errors showing up on the head unit when going from accessory mode to "on" or starting the car), that was fixed after service visit number 5. After each visit, it was fine when I picked it up, but would return shortly later. By the end, I was able to reproduce this issue with ease, after 20 seconds in Accessory Mode, starting the car would throw up these errors.

The visits went as follows:
1) Replaced screen to fix restart issue (most likely unrelated), and updated software to latest 2016 version
2) Cleaned radar screen because the technician thought that was it (can't believe that was their fix...)
3) Updated software to 2017/2018 version (1.F190.25)
4) Replaced battery due to low voltage measured on startup
5) Re-flashed all the computer modules in the car (don't have all the acronyms with me to list them), but this fixed it (fingers crossed)

I notice now that on startup, the ACC and CMBS lights stay on until everything else has turned on. I imagine the software was updated to delay the startup of these systems until the car is on, to avoid these issues. The dealer didn't seem like they really knew what was going on, they had to get Honda Canada involved to remotely diagnose and work on this issue. However, things seem good now so hopefully the issue doesn't reappear again, it got quite frustrating going to the dealer this frequently!
Ah, #5 sounds like the winner, but now I'm out of warranty, and they'll charge me up the wazoo to do it. !@#$

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stated earlier, it seems to be a software problem.
The entire car is like a huge computer, now, and the central computer is analyzing a lot of other modules.
More than likely, just turning it off and back on again will solve the issue. (The "go-to" fix for anything electronic)
As for the batteries on the dealer lot going dead, consider that all vehicles draw current while off, and
since the smaller Honda's use a tiny battery rather than a group 34, its going to die much quicker.
Ideally, dealerships should remove the ground terminal while the car isn't being test-driven, but what do I know?
Sponsored