jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I get that the Camry has 300 hp from factory but 4-5 car lengths on a tuned Civic? I get that it would beat it but it's surprising to me that the gap was that much. Civic is much lighter and I was under the impression that CVT could match up to an 8 speed auto pretty well speed wise since the car is constantly in it's power band. Camry 0-60 is about 5.8 seconds and I figured that a tuned civic on TSP map 3 would be able to at least match that...guess not.
Sponsored

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I get that the Camry has 300 hp from factory but 4-5 car lengths on a tuned Civic? I get that it would beat it but it's surprising to me that the gap was that much. Civic is much lighter and I was under the impression that CVT could match up to an 8 speed auto pretty well speed wise since the car is constantly in it's power band. Camry 0-60 is about 5.8 seconds and I figured that a tuned civic on TSP map 3 would be able to at least match that...guess not.
Another thing that you got to remember is he has an NA motor with a traditional automatic transmission with eight gears that shift pretty quick. It’s gonna take off the line faster. By the time your turbo and cvt get up and running I’m sure he probably gapped you by a couple car lengths. Then after that his power will just keep pulling away. A rolling start you might’ve hung a little better. Sorry this message was really aimed towards OP

OP
OP

Dwight

Banned
Banned
First Name
Delon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Another thing that you got to remember is he has an NA motor with a traditional automatic transmission with eight gears that shift pretty quick. It’s gonna take off the line faster. By the time your turbo and cvt get up and running I’m sure he probably gapped you by a couple car lengths. Then after that his power will just keep pulling away. A rolling start you might’ve hung a little better. Sorry this message was really aimed towards OP
True

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
A TSP stage 3 Si would have won. More power, better top end, manual transmission to really ring out the power, an LSD to prevent a one wheel peel off the line. I've seen a tuned 10th gen Si vs Accord 2.0T drag race on YouTube where they both crossed the 1/2 or 1/4 (can't remeber which) mile neck and neck, and one can make a case that the Accord's 2.0T is faster than the Camry V6.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
A TSP stage 3 Si would have won. More power, better top end, manual transmission to really ring out the power, an LSD to prevent a one wheel peel off the line. I've seen a tuned 10th gen Si vs Accord 2.0T drag race on YouTube where they both crossed the 1/2 or 1/4 (can't remeber which) mile neck and neck, and one can make a case that the Accord's 2.0T is faster than the Camry V6.
Everyone knows that l

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm still not convinced a tuned Cvt wouldn't beat the Camry. Maybe not but if his tuned car can't beat a stock Si, something seems a little off.
The part that gets me is that he hung with him for 4 sec when off the line is not the Cvts strength.

I've been tuned for coming up on 3 years and have had my fair share of grudge matches with a background of running quarter mile. I would more than welcome to take on a stock Camry. Either way win or lose, I know it'd be close.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still not convinced a tuned Cvt wouldn't beat the Camry. Maybe not but if his tuned car can't beat a stock Si, something seems a little off.
The part that gets me is that he hung with him for 4 sec when off the line is not the Cvts strength.

I've been tuned for coming up on 3 years and have had my fair share of grudge matches with a background of running quarter mile. I would more than welcome to take on a stock Camry. Either way win or lose, I know it'd be close.
I hear you. I don't know about from a standing start because all my "battles" have been at speed. I'll tell you this though... from 60-100+ my TSP 1 CVT turbo has some serious balls. Many a V6 "family" car like the Maxima, Camry and Accord have been shocked with my cars oomph.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Remember, a CVT has the ability to be perfectly at the power band providing maximum power until it's reached its minimum gear ratio that it could provide. This, of course, assumes the CVT is programmed to do this and doesn't have those fake shifts in there (I believe low-gear mode may get rid of that).

That being said, the power to weight ratio is still considerably off.
  • Si = 205 HP, 2900 lbs -> 14.1 lbs/HP*
  • Sport = 180 HP, 2900 lbs -> 16.1 lbs/HP*
  • Camry V6 = 301 HP, 3500 lbs -> 11.26 lbs/HP
  • Accord 2.0T = 252 HP, 3400 lbs -> 13.49 lbs/HP*
We do know that in a lot of cases that Honda's advertised power numbers are low, in some cases to the point where their wheel horsepower can be nearly their advertised and in some cases even higher. We know that the Accord 2.0T and Camry have a very similar quarter mile and 0-60 time, which would suggest that the Accord 2.0T has a higher crank HP than advertised, or the Camry has a much lower crank HP that advertised (assuming the same powertrain losses).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ My tuned EX-L = 220 whp ...

The numbers you list above are at the crank. And Honda has seriously understated all turbo engines stock output.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think the power to weight ratio is very similar between a Camry and tuned Civic. My viewpoint is also a little skewed as I don't live at sea level.
The turbo shines at 3500ft elevation and the NA automatically loses .6 sec in the quarter mile.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the power to weight ratio is very similar between a Camry and tuned Civic. My viewpoint is also a little skewed as I don't live at sea level.
The turbo shines at 3500ft elevation and the NA automatically loses .6 sec in the quarter mile.
It shines at 700 ft. too. :cool:

As far as power to weight ratio, that 220 WHP on the TSP 1 is maybe 250 at the crank. With a 2900 lb. car that's 11.6 lbs / HP. More or less matching the Camry V6 p/w ratio.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’m at sea level at least 20 feet above ( I think) this past few weeks in SW Florida it’s been high forties low fifties at night and early morning I do notice the car is more responsive but this last until it get warmer 70s 80s during the day and 90 percent of the time the A/C is on

dc0321

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Country flag
ever since I save the new Camry v6 over 300hp ,I know someone will post something like this

OP
OP

Dwight

Banned
Banned
First Name
Delon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag

Put your cvt in L on a tsp race tune map 3 and floor it from a stop you'll see if that's not the cvt strength, also I found out that my car is overshooting boost targets and the ecu is correcting it so it's possible that I have hit around 25 psi when I floor it and then the ecu cut off that 25psi to 17psi which is why I was able to keep up about 3 second with the camera
Sponsored