Toyo Proxes R888R?

Rookie93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
Anyone running the Toyo tires R888R? If so what set up? And what you think of 265/18R35 on 18x9.5 +45 5x120 wheels?
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
Fitment wise, the 18x9.5 ET+45 shod with 265/35R-18 tires should fit great assuming stock suspension set-up.

As for the tire model, I'm sure others will chime in with there experience with the R888R, but from what we are seeing this is a solid option depending on how you're using the vehicle.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
I use gforce sport comp 2's by bfg that are similar and yes they grip nice but are very noisy

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
i've run the R888 for years on a bunch of my NASA / SCCA / VRG racecars. (and also the Nitto NT01 which is very similar in performance). they are great on track; good grip, very good wear characteristics, great in dry and pretty good in wet too.

that being said, there is NO WAY i'd run them as my street tire on my CTR. I use my CTR as my daily and drive it in the city, on the country roads, and on the highway. the R888 is super super loud -- i'm talking it SINNNGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSS as it is going down the road. it would get very irritating very fast. also they pick up every single piece of gravel/grit/dirt and fling it up in the fenderwells and onto your paint as soon as the tires warm up. it'll sandblast the sides of your car. finally, I think you'd be lucky to make more than 10k street miles before you were below the wear bars.

so personally, even though i really like them on my track car(s), i'd never run them on my street CTR. (only way i'd run them on my street CTR is if it were used 80% or more for track duty, and 20% or less for street driving)

OP
OP

Rookie93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
Fitment wise, the 18x9.5 ET+45 shod with 265/35R-18 tires should fit great assuming stock suspension set-up.

As for the tire model, I'm sure others will chime in with there experience with the R888R, but from what we are seeing this is a solid option depending on how you're using the vehicle.
Actually now that you mention the fitment on stock suspension I was considering lowering 1 inch with swift springs. Would 265/35R-18 still be a good fitment?

OP
OP

Rookie93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
i've run the R888 for years on a bunch of my NASA / SCCA / VRG racecars. (and also the Nitto NT01 which is very similar in performance). they are great on track; good grip, very good wear characteristics, great in dry and pretty good in wet too.

that being said, there is NO WAY i'd run them as my street tire on my CTR. I use my CTR as my daily and drive it in the city, on the country roads, and on the highway. the R888 is super super loud -- i'm talking it SINNNGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSS as it is going down the road. it would get very irritating very fast. also they pick up every single piece of gravel/grit/dirt and fling it up in the fenderwells and onto your paint as soon as the tires warm up. it'll sandblast the sides of your car. finally, I think you'd be lucky to make more than 10k street miles before you were below the wear bars.

so personally, even though i really like them on my track car(s), i'd never run them on my street CTR. (only way i'd run them on my street CTR is if it were used 80% or more for track duty, and 20% or less for street driving)
ok I see what you saying understandable. I have a daily and I use my CTR for car meets and every now and then for spirited fun driving. I live on the island of Oahu In Hawai’i it’s pretty much summer time here all year. Personally I want to give the tires a try and if not satisfied I’ll ride them till they wear then move on to something more versatile. What’s your take on that?

OP
OP

Rookie93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
Also something I’ve read around about these tires is that they fit 10 bigger if that makes sense. So if you buy 265 the fitment would be as if it was 275. After reading this I decided to do my own research to find out if the claim is true. I spoke to a member of a tire company online(i shoulda save the conversation ?) And he confirmed that. That is true about these tires they fit bigger then other tires. Ideally I want a set up of 18X9.5 +45 5x120 wheels and 265/R35-18 tires and 1inch lowered with springs. But I’m not 100% sure how that fitment affect with scrubbing or how bad the scrubbing would be. And honestly I’m looking to get more educated on this so anything would help. Ive seen YouTube videos showing that this fitment it’s good and no issues with scrubbing even when lowered. I also seen a post from PRL about the CTR they have running this same set up and same tires I believe but it mention nothing about scrubbing. Just want to be fully educated before I commit to this purchase.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
well, since you aren't using the CTR as a daily and only using it for car meets and canyon bombing then the R888 might be fine for you; that sounds like only a couple thousand miles a year and as long as you avoid anyplace with gravel or dirt and you don't mind the very loud droning of the tires (they are incredibly loud driving on the highway. I can't stress this enough) then they will give you great grip once warmed up (better than any regular 200tw street tire, with maybe the exception of the RE71R, which is real close) so i'd say if you really want them to give them a try.

Todd

PS never drive them in weather that is below 35F. they won't warm up for a long long time and won't work well. sounds like that never happens in Hawaii tho!

PPS yes these tires run 'wide'. a 265 R888 is a wider tire than most other 265 tires. that is because they are meant to run on a track

OP
OP

Rookie93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic type r
Country flag
well, since you aren't using the CTR as a daily and only using it for car meets and canyon bombing then the R888 might be fine for you; that sounds like only a couple thousand miles a year and as long as you avoid anyplace with gravel or dirt and you don't mind the very loud droning of the tires (they are incredibly loud driving on the highway. I can't stress this enough) then they will give you great grip once warmed up (better than any regular 200tw street tire, with maybe the exception of the RE71R, which is real close) so i'd say if you really want them to give them a try.

Todd

PS never drive them in weather that is below 35F. they won't warm up for a long long time and won't work well. sounds like that never happens in Hawaii tho!

PPS yes these tires run 'wide'. a 265 R888 is a wider tire than most other 265 tires. that is because they are meant to run on a track
Ok then I might give them a try so far they are the main ones I got my eyes on and that’s also because of my lack of knowledge but I heard they are great.

ok so I sorta asked this already but being that they are wider do you think a 265/R35-18 would be good/safe set up For 18x9.5 +45 wheels(getting Volks te37 sagas) with 1inch lower with springs? When it comes to scrubbing? Or you recommend going 255 since they would fit like 265. Hope my question makes sense. What do you think?

whoisJSR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.avgntrials.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I second the noise; I thought it was my brakes rubbing! I can't believe how loud these are.

But man are they fun to drive on. They stick, they grip, they're really nice wheels. Honestly, when the time comes to replace them, I'll probably go to something a little less aggressive.

Hell167

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I am running 245 18 R888R on my type r right now. (Lowered 1.5 front and 2 rear) It's a week end only car. I don't find it loud at all. I have maybe 500km on them. The tread wear is pretty fast though, very noticeable difference between front and rear tires. My rear tires I can still see the green stripe but fronts are noticeably warn. Definitely need to rotate them often. The grip is incredible dry and still pretty good wet. Some visible tire splatter around the wheel well edges after a good spirited drive. They definitely pick up and throw alot of sand though.

Bushy86

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
For what it's worth, I HATED these tires when I had them on my Focus RS. Had them mounted to 18 inch TE37s. Very loud, and I didn't think the grip was that good on track compared to a PS4s.

whoisJSR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.avgntrials.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I swear the noise is getting worse! LOL

But man, the grip is addictive... I can live with the noise :)
Sponsored