Towing with the Si

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Hey guys, so currently i have an EXT. i was planning on getting the new GTI when it comes out, but i really like the looks and features of my Honda. IF the Si has everything i like at a lower price than the GTI, i may go with that.

I have a need to tow a very small light trailer (dirtbike). i considered the CRV, but i'm not really a CRV guy and i know i would get bored with it.

I have an older explorer that i tow with. I'm only putting 400 miles per year on it, so keeping it on insurance and paying for registration/inspection every year doesnt make sense. I plan on getting rid of it.

Is there any reason why i should not consider the Si to tow with? The CRV can tow and it has the same 1.5l engine (but a CVT trans). Will the manual trans/clutch hold up to towing?

I have towed my trailer and dirtbike in the past with a 2006 scion xb (much smaller, lighter, less powerful car) and had no issues. In europe they tow with cars all the time.

Something like this would do the job: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2016/24937.html?vehicleid=201644166
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Hey guys, so currently i have an EXT. i was planning on getting the new GTI when it comes out, but i really like the looks and features of my Honda. IF the Si has everything i like at a lower price than the GTI, i may go with that.

I have a need to tow a very small light trailer (dirtbike). i considered the CRV, but i'm not really a CRV guy and i know i would get bored with it.

I have an older explorer that i tow with. I'm only putting 400 miles per year on it, so keeping it on insurance and paying for registration/inspection every year doesnt make sense. I plan on getting rid of it.

Is there any reason why i should not consider the Si to tow with? The CRV can tow and it has the same 1.5l engine (but a CVT trans). Will the manual trans/clutch hold up to towing?

I have towed my trailer and dirtbike in the past with a 2006 scion xb (much smaller, lighter, less powerful car) and had no issues. In europe they tow with cars all the time.

Something like this would do the job: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2016/24937.html?vehicleid=201644166
I see no problem with doing this with an Si. The weight of the hitch seems fairly minimal.
I've seen guys use this arrangement with Miata's to haul their race tires to and from the Autocross. When in Florida last time, I saw a guy with an 8th gen Si hauling a flat trailer with lawn care equipment on it.

I wouldn't recommend flying down the highway with this arrangement, but it would work if needed!
I'd definitely recommend watching your tire pressures and brake pads, and make sure to use quality premium fuel.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
If you ever want to know the towing capacity of your US-based car, but don't see it listed on the website, just go to the UK site. They always list towing capacities there since there's not a whole lot of pickups over there and most hauling is done via trailer. It looks like the 1.5T is capable of the following:

6MT: 1400kgs (braked), 500kgs (unbraked)
CVT: 1000kgs (braked), 500kgs (unbraked)

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Just remember to keep your trailer's weight significantly below those numbers, or you'll be putting a lot of strain on your transmission. Also I may be wrong here, but it would seem that the Si's engineering team was probably focusing on goals/use cases other than towing, for this car.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
If you ever want to know the towing capacity of your US-based car, but don't see it listed on the website, just go to the UK site. They always list towing capacities there since there's not a whole lot of pickups over there and most hauling is done via trailer. It looks like the 1.5T is capable of the following:

6MT: 1400kgs (braked), 500kgs (unbraked)
CVT: 1000kgs (braked), 500kgs (unbraked)
6MT: about 1100 lbs (unbraked) and 3,080 lbs (braked), NICE!, ... thanks for that

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/civic-5-door/specifications.html

Last edited:

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
If the SI comes with a center exhaust as it seems, i think you can't tow anything!
I feel like this post is important. Maybe Honda came up with a way around it?

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I feel like this post is important. Maybe Honda came up with a way around it?
I don't see any practical way around. If you want a civic with center exhaust, then you might as well forget about towing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leetcivx

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Center exhaust doesn't rule out towing. I remember seeing a mini cooper S towing a small trailer a few years ago. I'm not sure how the hitch was designed. I drove past it on the highway and didn't pay much attention

Last edited:

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Maybe Honda could design the bumper facia to allow for a hitch receiver (above the exhaust) (i.e. knockout) ,... but seems pretty unlikely for the US. None of the UK center exhaust models had hitch options that I noticed on my brief look.

I guess there could be an aftermarket kit offered, .. but you're going to have to cut through a very visible part of the car .. so you'd need to finish out with an additional trim piece. Not that it's impossible, ,.. but maybe not likely to be offered.

Sponsored