Tow hooks for a CTR track day?

Retr0JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R/ 2019 Audi A6 45TFSI
Country flag
Has anyone with a 2020 been able to get their front vents to pop out? I've got a tow strap coming in id like to install. I know the 2019s had a push tab behind the vent you could push out im pressing on something similar but its not moving at all.

15909819137544725594833741641262.jpg
For a strap, you might have to take the front bumper off and mount them on the crash bar .

InThatThang

First Name
Darien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Civic Type R.
Country flag
For a strap, you might have to take the front bumper off and mount them on the crash bar .
Yeah thats what I'm thinking too. I was trying to do it without taking off my bumper ?

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
What kind of bolts are used to hold those straps? It seems like there would be a lot of shearing force compared to a tow hook.

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just took the passenger vent off of my 2020 type R yesterday. It is just like the 2019, but the first time removing it is the most difficult. Just use a little elbow grease and make sure to also push the tab towards you as well. With your right hand start pulling on the top left corner of the passenger vent cover.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Get a tow hook adaptor so that you don't need to take the bumper off. \

Here is an example in Japan
Just use the factory tow hook unless your racing sanctioning body requires you to run a strap. Too many people just run the strap for looks.

InThatThang

First Name
Darien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Civic Type R.
Country flag
I just took the passenger vent off of my 2020 type R yesterday. It is just like the 2019, but the first time removing it is the most difficult. Just use a little elbow grease and make sure to also push the tab towards you as well. With your right hand start pulling on the top left corner of the passenger vent cover.
Which tab vent where u pushing on? The top one, middle one, or the bottom? Cause I've tried on the driver side and thought I was gonna break something lol

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Doesn’t it make more sense to just drill into the front crash beam for a tow strap rather than buying a $200 tow hook adapter?

Draxaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Is there any functional off the shelf tow hooks you can buy without drilling etc?
I'd be interested to know this, too.

After the fiasco of having to get a tow recently (tire/wheel damage), it's worth running a tow hook during long trips. I'm going to see if any of these adapters can be concealed behind the front vent garnish and then just pop off and install the hook when needed.
Currently looking at United Speed Racing's offering, but I think one like RaceSeng or Evasive where the hook is more centralized to the centerline of the car would work better from a physics standpoint when trying to load up the car.

thousand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Has anyone with a 2020 been able to get their front vents to pop out? I've got a tow strap coming in id like to install. I know the 2019s had a push tab behind the vent you could push out im pressing on something similar but its not moving at all.
yea. i don't see anything on the internet about tow hook installs for 2020. do you have to drill a hole in the vent cover or is there a vent cover that accommodates the tow hook, or something?

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd imagine the 2020+ fog light garnish pops out the same way the 2017-2019 does. Problem is the body-colored accent is like right where you'd have to drill to install an off-the-shelf tow hook kit which bolt to the bumper beam. You could just leave the garnish off with the hook installed for track days, then remove the hook and reinstall the garnish for the street. Or your best bet might be what a member posted earlier in this thread where they had a tow strap looped around one of the actual tow eyes underneath the car and just had it zip tied to the bumper. Ghetto, but actually more functional than these tow hook kits. Not perfect though.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
What's wrong with the OEM rear tow hook? I mean it comes with the car, perfectly functional from what I can tell. Doesn't require any type of cutting or drilling, and the hook can be installed and removed as desired, and the cover replaced when not in use.

I get it if someone wants the front hook or strap for looks, or if your racing group requires both front an rear. But if you just need a functional hook, why not just use the OEM one?

sunnyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
What's wrong with the OEM rear tow hook? I mean it comes with the car, perfectly functional from what I can tell. Doesn't require any type of cutting or drilling, and the hook can be installed and removed as desired, and the cover replaced when not in use.

I get it if someone wants the front hook or strap for looks, or if your racing group requires both front an rear. But if you just need a functional hook, why not just use the OEM one?
Because.... race car bruh
Sponsored