Touring Windshield Cracked By A Pebble

skueny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
On my 2nd windshield after 4300 miles on my 2016 CivicX. After a 5 week wait the 2nd one lasted 5 weeks before another Pebble hit the windshield in a 45 mph zone. In my opinion after working with Ceramic for 20 years there are several factors I can come up with.
1. The glass windshields are thinner to start with.
2. The new design with a rounded surface area is far easier to crack
3. The smelter making the glass is using a higher ratio of Scrap cullet compared to Virgin glass.
4. The element of expansion and contraction using inferior glass will put the windshield into greater compression allowing g the glass to easily crack.
In my opinion the Nation Safety Bureau needed to be made aware that Honda is putting this quality of glad on the market. If a pebble can crack the windshield then any sorry of accident with this style and quality of glass is dangerous to all of us drivers. Honda must be aware of this production problem a d is doing nothing to fix it!
After 9 vehicles in my life, I have never had to replace 2 windshields BEFORE CHANGING THE OIL!!!
Sponsored

zeid91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
just noticed a small crack in my windshield, called a guy to come repair it and he said it cannot be repaired as it's in the black section of the windshield (right above the vin number) and it has to be replaced. my car has less than 5,000 miles on it. this sucks!

skueny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
4300 miles on my First 2016 Civic X windshield.... Second one lasted 5 weeks. That is 5 other weeks waiting for it.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Last week I heard a pebble hit my window but it didn't appear to do any damage. I'm glad I have full glass coverage!

shammgod126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orchard White 2016 Civic EX with Sensing
Country flag
It's really important to get full glass coverage on all new vehicles nowadays and make sure you have a 0 dollar deductible. My wife drives a 2012 Audi A4 on it's third windshield. We had comprehensive insurance on it which covers glass, but our original deductible was $500 dollars. We got it replaced with another Audi windshield and it cost $550 so we had to pay the $500 deductible and the insurance covered the rest. After that incident we switched to a zero deductible and literally two weeks later the windshield cracked again by a rock thrown up by a truck. This time the insurance covered everything. Another thing to note, when this happens, the insurance doesn't fault you so your premium doesn't go up. We recently rented a Mazda CX-5 and the windshield cracked on that during our road trip as well (again from a truck kicking up a rock). I really think that manufacturers are just making windshields thinner and thinner now. Another thing to note is if a rock chips the windshield edge it's more likely to leave a long crack that will grow with time. If the rock hits it around the center of the windshield it'll most likely leave a spiderweb like crack. The most vulnerable spots for a windshield are the edges, if something hits the edge it'll most likely crack.

zeid91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
what type of warranty did the dealer provide when you replaced your windshield? I called a local repair expert and he told me not to accept anything less than a lifetime warranty on water leakage but all the dealers in my area don't install the glass themselves (the sub it to a local shop), so they only provide a 1 year, 12,000 miles warranty.

skueny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
what type of warranty did the dealer provide when you replaced your windshield? I called a local repair expert and he told me not to accept anything less than a lifetime warranty on water leakage but all the dealers in my area don't install the glass themselves (the sub it to a local shop), so they only provide a 1 year, 12,000 miles warranty.
There was a 5 week wait for the 2 and windshield. No guarantee for cracking etc. No none Honda windows on the market either. Honda dealerships here do not replace windshields at the dealership.

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I think the windshields are made of crap. less than 800 miles on my car and heard a "tap" on my windshield. it was at night so i couldn't see but i knew from the sound of it, it didn't sound good. next morning i had a pretty star under my rear view mirror. luckily it was small enough to get it repaired but it sucks.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had ar least 3 loud rocks hit my windshield. One of them I found in the recessed area by the wipers and it was big.

No damage what so ever. I think I got a good one or I got lucky.

LoneWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Funny you should mention this...

I had my Civic EX for two weeks, and two high school girls in an ancient econobox threw up a large sharp stone. SMACK. At just the right angle, just below the driver's wiper

I just had my windshield replaced early this week. I filed a comprehensive claim with my insurance company, and picked a local glass shop with a good reputation. I insisted on OEM glass, even if I had to pay extra --you probably won't have to worry about this, the car design is so new you can probably only get OEM glass, aftermarket glass companies haven't started making windshields for the 10thgen yet. You pay the deductible to the glass company (if your policy has one) and they bill your insurance for the rest. My insurance company will insure the job for the life of the car if I choose a provider on their list (mine was).

Do know this: There is a gasket at the bottom of the windshield that needs to be replaced. My glass company found out that it did not come with the windshield and they had to order it as a separate part.

Also, take pictures of the gaskets and seals and how they look before, and then after. You want to make sure the replacement job looks as good as the original; if it doesn't, you can call the place or your insurance if you're not satisfied.

P.S. I don't know about the windshield, but the side windows on my car are made by Pilkington (Honda OEM-labeled) which is one of the two known aftermarket glass companies I'm aware of (Pittsburgh Glass Works, or PGW being the other). I did get a PGW windshield for my 2004 Civic late in its life, and that glass did seem stronger than the OEM, even though people seemed to like to complain about them on forums for having a different curve/view/tint.

Last edited:

L15B7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Turbo
Country flag
Hello.

So when I was driving home from work today, my Touring got hit by a pebble out of nowhere and there was a cracking sound. It turns out that the pebble (I say pebble because the point of impact is VERY small) has caused a crack in the shape of a star. Fortunately though, it didn't pierce through (nor it should) It was probably from a large truck in two lanes to my left on the highway.

Now my question is..what should I do? Throughout my entire life I have never experienced a windshield crack. And I've never had to deal with claiming insurance and all that. How long does it take to replace a windshield? I have insurance with Allstate..how do I get them to get me the OEM windshields?

Do I just try to bring this to my dealer and have them replace under warranty (because its MIGHTY thin?)

If anyone has experienced a similar situation, please post your experience here.

Thank you. Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I live in Atlanta, GA.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Windshield Cracked By A Pebble 20160802_230413

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Windshield Cracked By A Pebble 20160802_230533
Yeah, same thing happened to my 2016 Honda Civic windshield. However, my cracked a lot more causing the windshield to be non repairable. I had to replace it with a new windshield. SAFELITE AUTO GLASS DID A GREAT JOB PUTTING A NEW OEM WINDSHIELD.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Windshield Cracked By A Pebble ima

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
I live in Colorado and often drive 60 miles between Denver and Colorado springs. I had a 2003 Acura MDX before this car that I made the drive in and never saw a cracked windshield. Now on my 2017 civic, I am on my second windshield, which was just replaced 3 months ago and it's just been cracked.

I don't know if it's the glass they are using, the height of the vehicle, or what... But I've never replaced a windshield before, and now in 6 months I'm about to replace the glass for a second time.

jm33561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda CR-V EX
Country flag
Just noticed I have another small rock chip that has turned into a long crack. Almost the exact same spot as my first chip that required me to replace the windshield. This will be my second windshield in less than a year. Would contacting Honda or the dealership do anything for me? I have full glass coverage so it wont cost me anything to replace again.
Sponsored