Touring Tweeter Upgrade

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Anyone have any pics or install guide on how to splice the wires?

Never done this before so I don't want to mess up.
Heres a basic how to, i recommend soldiering the wires like one of the diagrams below, if you scroll up on this thread there should be a diagram showing the colors to speakers and polarity so you have an idea.

https://www.wikihow.com/Splice-Wire
Sponsored

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Anyone have any pics or install guide on how to splice the wires?

Never done this before so I don't want to mess up.
Check my post on page 7 to see how to remove the stock tweeter.
The color code should be pink-positive, grey-negative.
I recommend welding the wires together to avoid any connection issue, but if you're not experienced in electronic work just use butt splice.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine was Green and Yellow. I watched a few videos. Doesn't look super clean but it works and sounds better than stock tweeter so I guess it worked.

I was curious about where to cut off the oem connector and then how to connect the wire to the connector and which one to use. Just watched a couple YT clips and guessed. Took a few tries of hit and miss but I got it to work.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a note about determining polarity on tweeters:
First, note the wiring on the factory tweeter.
Then, remove the factory tweeter from factory harness, and take a small battery 1.5v and touch each end of the tweeter terminals with a wire then touch across the factory tweeter.
When the tweeter cone moves out, then that tells you the polarity of the tweeter terminals. (May need flashlight to see cone movement).
Then note which terminal that the (+) of the battery was connected to when the tweeter moved out.
That terminal is your (+) lead on the wire harness.

NickoJDS

AlohaFK7
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Honda ED3/EF2 Sedan, 2010 Honda FG1 Coupe, 2019 FK7 EX
Country flag
I made some measurements for my own future reference when I decide to buy some better tweeters that should help you decide if what you want will fit. Here they are (click for larger):

IMG_20160918_1918480.png IMG_20160918_1919115.png IMG_20160918_1919401.png IMG_20160918_1920161.png IMG_20160918_1920567.png
Can you help me read this? I’m not too familiar with reading a caliper /:

xenon04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you help me read this? I’m not too familiar with reading a caliper /:
(millimeters - inches) 43mm - 1,7in / 28mm - 1,1in / 38mm - 1,5in / 58mm - 2,3in / 49mm - 1,9in

I bought a Hertz CK 165 with C 26 tweeters (their dimensions)
I'll try to connect without the crossovers (have a "premium" audio)

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_3015-Edit
Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade tw.JPG

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
(millimeters - inches) 43mm - 1,7in / 28mm - 1,1in / 38mm - 1,5in / 58mm - 2,3in / 49mm - 1,9in

I bought a Hertz CK 165 with C 26 tweeters (their dimensions)
I'll try to connect without the crossovers (have a "premium" audio)

IMG_3015-Edit.jpg
tw.JPG
What a coincidence, I just installed these last week! The plastic housing needs to sanded down a tad to get these to fit otherwise was a breeze to install, especially with the supplied metal bracket and screw.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_20190902_090356

xenon04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What a coincidence, I just installed these last week! The plastic housing needs to sanded down a tad to get these to fit otherwise was a breeze to install, especially with the supplied metal bracket and screw.
:)
when I see it, maybe I remove that chrome ring

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade IMG_30231

Civicsi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hertz is the way to go. I have HERTZ tweeters and door speakers. I also added hertz to the rear deck. Super nice improvement over my stock SI speakers. Your not going to get a bunch more bass out of the speakers but your gonna get incredible clarity from them. Music sounds so much better. I used HERTZ MPK 165.3 Mille pro in the front and rear. It's not cheap but its worth it in the end. Especially if your going to add an amplifier. I've used HERTZ in all my cars. Not once have I ever had an issue with them. Best speaker company in my book. I will never change brands, and trust me I've pretty much tried them all

Mikex18

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
So i ordered a set of JBL GTO19T, the wires thst come with then have a crossover in them.

I have a touring, do i cut the crossover and re-install?

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Hertz is the way to go. I have HERTZ tweeters and door speakers. I also added hertz to the rear deck. Super nice improvement over my stock SI speakers. Your not going to get a bunch more bass out of the speakers but your gonna get incredible clarity from them. Music sounds so much better. I used HERTZ MPK 165.3 Mille pro in the front and rear. It's not cheap but its worth it in the end. Especially if your going to add an amplifier. I've used HERTZ in all my cars. Not once have I ever had an issue with them. Best speaker company in my book. I will never change brands, and trust me I've pretty much tried them all
Which speaker/tweeter combo are you running in your front doors? Also in a 19 Si and need to get rid of my tweeters ASAP... my music actually sounds better if I cover the tweeter up with my hand LOL

OP
OP
2016TouringSLC

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a touring, do i cut the crossover and re-install?
The short answer is "yes, cut out the crossover." The tweeter speaker wire in the Civic is already run through a crossover in the stock amplifier, so if you leave in the second crossover, it will be a crossover on a crossover, and it will not sound good.

Cut off the tweeter crossover and attach just the tweeter speaker wires directly to the speaker wires from the Civic amp, and you're good to go.

Mikex18

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
The short answer is "yes, cut out the crossover." The tweeter speaker wire in the Civic is already run through a crossover in the stock amplifier, so if you leave in the second crossover, it will be a crossover on a crossover, and it will not sound good.

Cut off the tweeter crossover and attach just the tweeter speaker wires directly to the speaker wires from the Civic amp, and you're good to go.
Thanks Man

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I would do a little more investigation regarding the crossover. My understanding from other threads is that the stock tweeter mount includes an integrated capacitor (see yellow cylinder in below image, copied from another post) that acts as a bandpass filter to provide a rudimentary crossover. If true, then the stock amplifier is not solely splitting the frequencies between woofer and tweeter. Which is to say, I personally left in the inline crossovers that my aftermarket tweeters came with.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring Tweeter Upgrade upload_2019-9-30_21-22-0
Sponsored

Last edited: