Touring to LE reflash(EPS, shock damping)

NJ Drive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm wondering if in the near future we'll be able to reflash the ECU to receive LE suspension/steering calibrations. This is something that has become commonplace in the BMW community.

For example, the F87 M2 as well as the F80/F82 M3 and M4 have benefitted from continual OEM updates through the years to it's EPS, ECU, and even the eLSD(M diff). All of these files have become easily accessible and can be added a-la-carte to the reflash, tailored to user preference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Isn’t the LE change just to account for the weight loss? It may not be beneficial to normal CTR’s.

OP
OP

NJ Drive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Isn’t the LE change just to account for the weight loss? It may not be beneficial to normal CTR’s.
The LE comes with Michelin Sport Cup 2, so I believe the programming has more to do with harmonizing the dampers with the increased levels of grip and spring rate of said tires.

There's presumably different part numbers for the LE springs but no confirmation on rate differences. I know Mini Coopers were specced with as many as three different spring rates depending on options, all for the sake of keeping ride heights in check, so that may be in play here.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Looking like you might not want the LE settings. Japanese tuning cars have always had a reputation for over dampening and being too stiff. LE might have suffered the same fate. On a perfect road or track it might hold an advantage but 95% of the time likely no.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A set of Ohlins on a regular CTR will smoke the factory LE on any track.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Looking like you might not want the LE settings. Japanese tuning cars have always had a reputation for over dampening and being too stiff. LE might have suffered the same fate. On a perfect road or track it might hold an advantage but 95% of the time likely no.

I’d take this review with a grain of salt. Although not necessarily the culprid, apparently they didn’t do the research to shut off traction control, which they were struggling with.. All reviews by the other reputable review Chanels have only praise for the LE

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I’d take this review with a grain of salt. Although not necessarily the culprid, apparently they didn’t do the research to shut off traction control, which they were struggling with.. All reviews by the other reputable review Chanels have only praise for the LE
The throttle guys are highly reputable, no they didn't figure out how to do the pedal dance, but most owners don't know how to do it either. Many other mags have speculated that the regular CTR would perform just as well with cup 2s and lighter wheels.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
The throttle guys are highly reputable, no they didn't figure out how to do the pedal dance, but most owners don't know how to do it either. Many other mags have speculated that the regular CTR would perform just as well with cup 2s and lighter wheels.
they are reputable yes, although they failed to really do a proper test of the LE here. In my opinion, it’s doubtful the speculation of a base CTR using the LE tires/wheels package would perform just as well (stock vs stock; same driver and conditions), as the LE suspension software was specifically tuned to leverage the new wheels setup and the apparent different springs rates (different part number) of the LE. Someone will do that test soon and we’ll see the data.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I agree that the LE damper settings wouldn't help a regular CTR. That said, the stiffer and even more direct EPS settings might be a positive change for some. I wonder if these would be flashable for someone with access to a Honda dealer's HDS tool. What do you guys think?

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
they are reputable yes, although they failed to really do a proper test of the LE here. In my opinion, it’s doubtful the speculation of a base CTR using the LE tires/wheels package would perform just as well (stock vs stock; same driver and conditions), as the LE suspension software was specifically tuned to leverage the new wheels setup and the apparent different springs rates (different part number) of the LE. Someone will do that test soon and we’ll see the data.
that’s what I was saying, they might help on a perfect smooth track but most tracks are not. Not to mention back roads so the LE might be faster in perfect conditions but slower most the time.

Just guessing

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
While I've only got less than 100km on my LE, I can tell you that Sport is definitely stiffer in the LE compared to my MY18 on the OEM Contis (I am yet to sell it so have driven the two back to back a couple of times on the same roads this past week).

Some of it comes down to the stiffer sidewalls on the Cup 2s, but there is definitely more stiffness in the suspension itself. Although there isn't as much of a difference between the two in Comfort mode.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
While I've only got less than 100km on my LE, I can tell you that Sport is definitely stiffer in the LE compared to my MY18 on the OEM Contis (I am yet to sell it so have driven the two back to back a couple of times on the same roads this past week).

Some of it comes down to the stiffer sidewalls on the Cup 2s, but there is definitely more stiffness in the suspension itself. Although there isn't as much of a difference between the two in Comfort mode.
What differences have you noticed in the EPS in each mode between the two? Does +R have stiffer steering or a quicker ratio on the LE?

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
What differences have you noticed in the EPS in each mode between the two? Does +R have stiffer steering or a quicker ratio on the LE?
To be honest I haven't really driven it enough to notice any substantial difference. There may be some but it isn't as obvious as the suspension which is noticeable.
Sponsored