Touring subwoofer rattles.

edunev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
I had the same issue right out of the dealer. I had no time to deal with Honda's BS saying 'everything is normal' or 'we cannot fix it' when there is clearly an issue with their 'premium' sh#y sound system. Yes... thank you Honda for charging me extra to have a terrible rattle as a bonus and blaming my songs for that. Maybe I should stop listening to Pop music and start purchasing some opera tracks composed just of females singing on a bird's voice to make sure the sub you paid for does not get activated!

I was able to solve my issue wrapping around the break light with a big sponge I used to wash my car. The sponge should fit very tight in order for this to work. If have SpongeBob SquarePants at home it should be just fine...

Now the only problem a have is finding another sponge to replace the old one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
The thing with low density foams and sponges is that they'll likely compress, and the rattle will be back.

Also, it's suppressing movement; a sponge like that may leave little shavings in your trunk as it muffles vibration against the metal edge.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Computers/parts that used to come with expanded polystyrene AKA styofoam now often come with a more durable/plastic type closed cell packaging (which maybe be expanded polypropylene) which might work, and could be free.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I finally had a field manager from Honda come out and look at my car last week. He confirmed the issue along with the issue in other Civics too. He is currently reporting it back to the engineers or whatever and they will hopefully release some kind of TSB or recall (well, subwoofer fix not recall). He thinks it's because clips are too loose that hold the rear brake housing.

Unbelievable, a moderator edited my own message. The censorship on this forum is terrible. I specifically started this message by saying "This forum has treated me pretty badly but I'll update you all anyway". And look what happened.

Last edited:

asdf916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Country flag
No, it's not the glass rattling against the housing.

It's the entire rear deck rattling.

Wedging something between the third brake light and glass puts downward pressure on the deck, eliminating rattle.
Stuffing foam between the brake light and the trunk chassis/frame puts upward pressure on the deck, eliminating rattle.

I fixed mine completely today as well. I had some pink foam insulation lying around at work, so I cut out a "wedge" shape about 2 inches in length, with one end small enough to fit between the third brake light and the frame; wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape so it's black (and not pink) and wedged it as shown in terribad picture below.

Rattle gone!

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. fuHFwhT

Awesome, appreciate the time you took to draw up that diagram. I'll see what I can find to stuff in there.

Manchops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan (Black, mine), 2016 Fit LX (Red, Wifes car)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Computers/parts that used to come with expanded polystyrene AKA styofoam now often come with a more durable/plastic type closed cell packaging (which maybe be expanded polypropylene) which might work, and could be free.
I took some foam packing from my graphics card box and placed some where @inv4zn proposed and also some strips where others have proposed (between the rear deck and the back window). It has improved greatly, there is still some rattle at 1 or 2 frequencies during the sub test clip on YouTube, but only when the volume is at like 30. I have the bass and the sub levels set 1 notch from the max too. This should do until Honda comes out with a permanent fix. Plus no cost because I already had the foam. So if anyone has some old pc part boxes lying around...
Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. image

Last edited:

ajacks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koz McBloo 2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I just got my Touring the other day, and I noticed it only rattles when it's cold. When it's hot outside and warms up, the rattle magically disappears. I wonder why this is? They say that there is a break-in period for brand new cars, where the parts have to seal together completely once it's been driven for a bit. I certainly hope that's the case with this issue, as I'm not very keen on taking it to the dealer upwards of 3 times and shoving foam in unseemly places all over this top of the line vehicle that would be just about perfect if it weren't for this problem.

Anyone else have the car for 6 months now and notice that it has just gone away with no mods whatsoever?

tennis12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got my Touring the other day, and I noticed it only rattles when it's cold. When it's hot outside and warms up, the rattle magically disappears. I wonder why this is? They say that there is a break-in period for brand new cars, where the parts have to seal together completely once it's been driven for a bit. I certainly hope that's the case with this issue, as I'm not very keen on taking it to the dealer upwards of 3 times and shoving foam in unseemly places all over this top of the line vehicle that would be just about perfect if it weren't for this problem.

Anyone else have the car for 6 months now and notice that it has just gone away with no mods whatsoever?
Nope it's always been there for months won't go away on its own it's not on the coupe because it doesn't have a third break light in window so only in the sedan

2016civicman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Lost access to my previous account, but I'm back!

I'm really tired of my local Honda Dealer...About a month ago, I brought my Wife's HR-V in to be serviced and talked with the Service Advisor that helped me with my past two visits regarding my Touring's Sub rattling. She told me that the dealership has done all that they can do and that a third party shop would have to come and do the repair. She requested that I give her a few days and she would call me about the next steps. Well, that never happened. I called a couple of times a week over the course of a month requesting to speak with her. I either got her voicemail or another employee telling me that they would pass along the request for a callback. I ended up speaking with the Service Manager. He told me that he would have the Shop Foreman take a look if I bring it in.

I brought my car in yesterday, and waited for them to fix the issue. A rep told me that the Foreman reinstalled the padding and told me that they were not able to reproduce the rattle. I still requested to speak with the Manger he echoed what the rep told me....He also told me that he even sat in the car and couldn't hear anything. "I've worked with car sound systems and rattles with a subwoofer is almost always going to happen". He even aggressively asked "Do you want to go sit in the car and listen?". Implying that I didn't believe him and that both he and I sit in the car. I declined because I had to get to work.

Surprise Surprise, they ran the "test" by turning down the levels for both the sub and the bass and using a local Today's Hits radio station. No wonder they couldn't hear the rattle!!

After pouring through the forums, I ended up using packing foam from a video card and sticking it behind each seat head in the back window. Issue is now resolved.

It's going to be such fun when I take it in to get the software update.

Manchops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan (Black, mine), 2016 Fit LX (Red, Wifes car)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lost access to my previous account, but I'm back!

I'm really tired of my local Honda Dealer...About a month ago, I brought my Wife's HR-V in to be serviced and talked with the Service Advisor that helped me with my past two visits regarding my Touring's Sub rattling. She told me that the dealership has done all that they can do and that a third party shop would have to come and do the repair. She requested that I give her a few days and she would call me about the next steps. Well, that never happened. I called a couple of times a week over the course of a month requesting to speak with her. I either got her voicemail or another employee telling me that they would pass along the request for a callback. I ended up speaking with the Service Manager. He told me that he would have the Shop Foreman take a look if I bring it in.

I brought my car in yesterday, and waited for them to fix the issue. A rep told me that the Foreman reinstalled the padding and told me that they were not able to reproduce the rattle. I still requested to speak with the Manger he echoed what the rep told me....He also told me that he even sat in the car and couldn't hear anything. "I've worked with car sound systems and rattles with a subwoofer is almost always going to happen". He even aggressively asked "Do you want to go sit in the car and listen?". Implying that I didn't believe him and that both he and I sit in the car. I declined because I had to get to work.

Surprise Surprise, they ran the "test" by turning down the levels for both the sub and the bass and using a local Today's Hits radio station. No wonder they couldn't hear the rattle!!

After pouring through the forums, I ended up using packing foam from a video card and sticking it behind each seat head in the back window. Issue is now resolved.

It's going to be such fun when I take it in to get the software update.
The foam has worked for me this far, good old pc packing foam. I'm not even entering the dealership with this issue until there is a proper fix. I don't want them stuffing random **** in my car hoping it will work.

You mentioned a software update, what's all that about?

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just stuck a couple foam applicator pads that came with Meguiars wax in that 3rd brake light housing area. There's definitely an improvement. Not a huge improvement but improvement nonetheless. I'm gonna see if I can find something with a bit less give than a foam pad. Would stuffing a dish cloth in there work?

NicoleBcourt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hi everyone!

So I took my car to the dealer and the dealer said that there was nothing wrong with the system. ( I played drunk in love ) His answer was that I had to leave everything on factory settings and I shouldn't use the volume pass 20, and that it was based on the music I was listening to. He also said he didn't know of any other people having this problem ... I was like ?!?!?!? Anyway so I told him I was surprised on why they advertised a better sound system on the touring if we couldn't play music pass a certain level. So nothing was done, he said he would speak to Honda and get back to me ... Nothing yet.
Sponsored