Touring subwoofer rattles.

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I also put a 10" sub in the trunk because I wasn't happy with the stock sub. I have the sub firing towards the rear seats and I have not had any problem with rattles at all. I have my aftermarket sub bolted into the rear deck.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. ima
Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. image-1

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
For those interested in doing their own DIY, the materials are actually pretty cheap. I bought mine from Lowes and bought some open-cell air conditioner weatherstrip and also foam plumbing pipe insulation.

I bought 2 packs of the air conditioner weatherstrip and one piece of the pipe insulation.

I used the air conditioner weather strip and just kept stuffing it inside all 4 sides of the hole where the third brake light is in, and kept stuffing it until there was no more wiggle room inside. I then used the pipe insulation to cover the hole. It's not the prettiest/neatest job I've done, but I just wanted to get it done, and you would never see it being out of sight, so it worked for me.

It completely got rid of the rattle. Granted, there's still a "very light buzz" at heavy bass and thumping songs, but I would say I'm completely happy with the fix. It is only really noticeable when I'm cranking it up to 30+ volume, which is not my normal listening volume anyway.

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. IMG_1763.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. IMG_1761.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 1.08.28 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. AC43

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 1.01.28 PM

Last edited:

StewPiddass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Hi, I got my Touring last week and am already sick of the rattle, it doesn't bother my wife much but when I listen to channels 43 & 44 on XM Hip Hop and Backspin the rattle is really bad! I currently have the bass and sub at the middle level and the rattle can be heard with the volume as low as 12.
I might have the dealer look at it when I send the car in to get tinted.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yeah, I just bought my Touring yesterday. Bad rattle. I'll be taking it in to see if they can do anything about it (I saw some threads on here about doing some sound-deadening yourself, but I'm afraid to take the deck all apart and then have rattles cause a bolt is loose or a clip is broken. My two cents.
I'm also experiencing the audio cut out issue. I changed it to Neural, and heard a loud POP, and that was it. Hoping that will be fixed with TSB 16-001. We will see.

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah, I just bought my Touring yesterday. Bad rattle. I'll be taking it in to see if they can do anything about it (I saw some threads on here about doing some sound-deadening yourself, but I'm afraid to take the deck all apart and then have rattles cause a bolt is loose or a clip is broken. My two cents.
I'm also experiencing the audio cut out issue. I changed it to Neural, and heard a loud POP, and that was it. Hoping that will be fixed with TSB 16-001. We will see.
TSB 16-001 was applied at the factory starting in mid-December, so your new Touring may already have it. Check the manufacture date on the driver door panel (its on the tire pressure label).

Look at some of the other posts on the sub rattle. You can likely do a better job fixing it yourself by stuffing foam around the rear stop light and other areas -- no disassembly required. On the other hand, if Honda dealers start complaining to Big H that they're losing money fixing the sub rattle, a more permanent solution might be forthcoming - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
At the shop now. They applied TSB-001, apparently my VIN doesn't come up as a VIN it applie to, but my system was at a lower software version, so they upgraded it anyway. No more popping when swapping to Neural. They want to do that before looking into the rattle, but having had time to think about what you said, I'll pursue doing the sound dampening on my own so that I can control and know what materials were put in and where. Will monitor the issues and follow up.

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Keep us posted of any changes you notice after TSB-001. My dealer likewise told me over the phone that my VIN did not need the update, but they didn't look at the car to see what software version I have. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Keep us posted of any changes you notice after TSB-001. My dealer likewise told me over the phone that my VIN did not need the update, but they didn't look at the car to see what software version I have. I'll see if I can figure it out.
So the problem happened soon as I hit the neural button, a pop and no audio. Recreated issue in front of tech. Took down some error codes. Will call in to Honda tech line and call me back later.

Woofer still bumping all over the place. Also, the "fullness" and richness that I was expecting from a 10 speaker 450 watt system pales in comparison to my JBL system in my Prius, and I could even describe it as tinny. Any way to have a fuller sound, or Will I have to look into adding my own sub in the trunk?

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
So the problem happened soon as I hit the neural button, a pop and no audio. Recreated issue in front of tech. Took down some error codes. Will call in to Honda tech line and call me back later.

Woofer still bumping all over the place. Also, the "fullness" and richness that I was expecting from a 10 speaker 450 watt system pales in comparison to my JBL system in my Prius, and I could even describe it as tinny. Any way to have a fuller sound, or Will I have to look into adding my own sub in the trunk?
Yes more than likely, I did lots of research before settling on putting a sub in the trunk. There are really no good options for replacement open air subs. The good news is once you add a sub the sound quality improves 10 fold.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yes more than likely, I did lots of research before settling on putting a sub in the trunk. There are really no good options for replacement open air subs. The good news is once you add a sub the sound quality improves 10 fold.
I saw your post. I'll try my best to follow instructions posted. You use the line that went to the sub? Also, can I listen with the seats up? I'm looking for a solution that I don't have to keep anything open.

Mgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
And what about an amp?
The Rockford Fosgate has a 300 watt amp built in so it was a very easy solution. All you have to do is run power and ground. I used these adapters http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-7800...9470983&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+speaker+adapter to plug in the stock sub wires so I didn't have to cut any stock wires.

I just folded the seats down for the picture. The sub sounds great with the seats up and I actually have the sub tuned way down. It can get as loud as you want but i prefer a nice equal mix.

Darthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Just for reference, when I called my dealer (not the service people, but the sort of "tech assistant" person that helped me set up the car), she said, "Oh, the sub rattles? That's normal, turn down the sub to the middle and it should stop. If it doesn't stop, turn down your music. I have a chevy and mine rattles too with the sub-woofer in the back when I'm listening to loud music, that's normal."

Seems like people on here disagree, and I do too if simply stuffing insulation in there reduces the rattle. Any tips on getting the dealer to accept there's a problem and address it? Mine's a lease, 1 week old.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just for reference, when I called my dealer (not the service people, but the sort of "tech assistant" person that helped me set up the car), she said, "Oh, the sub rattles? That's normal, turn down the sub to the middle and it should stop. If it doesn't stop, turn down your music. I have a chevy and mine rattles too with the sub-woofer in the back when I'm listening to loud music, that's normal."

Seems like people on here disagree, and I do too if simply stuffing insulation in there reduces the rattle. Any tips on getting the dealer to accept there's a problem and address it? Mine's a lease, 1 week old.
That's not acceptable. Call the service department. If that doesn't work I believe there is a Honda Care tech number (can't remember off the top of my head). If you want to tackle it yourself, there are a few posts about how to. Here is my post:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/touring-subwoofer-rattle-fix-and-dampening.1297/

DJSeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW

LMAO!!! What a pathetic customer service.
Sponsored