Touring subwoofer rattles.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Upgraded firmware?? Lol. For a subwoofer shelf vibration? Although this updated shelf did not work either so not sure how it's going to be addressed?
One of the firmware updates was specifically to address audio issues.
People complain about the speakers not being good but it seems mostly that the processing the head unit is doing is sucky.

I'm curious what your perception of the rattle is.
For me the padding has gotten rid of maybe 95% of the rattle.

Was yours okay and then came back over time or was their remedy completely ineffective?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I did and they said since my car wasn't made in the US it was probably different. Haven't heard from that specific rep since then. I'm also waiting from a reply from Honda Canada. I tried to be nice but when he replied that I had to turn it down. It was too much. How dumb do they think we are.
Ah. I see you're in cananda. Well that sucks. It's also ironic since many of these civics , I believe anyway, were actually made in Canada.

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, I'm just gonna put this up again because I keep getting notifications about this thread.

I made this, a year ago when I bought the car, and it's holding strong as day 1. It's easy, cheap, and far better than what the teenagers at the Honda service bay will do.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/cheap-permanent-touring-rattle-fix-insulation-foam.4272/
So I know to you that make look simple but idk how to do it lol idk hence why I go to Honda. If I did I wouldn't even set foot in that dealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
...it's literally using scissors and tape.
Guys
As I have decided to forget about getting any help from Honda and fix this issue myself, I started by trying something. My main source for music in the car is my Ipod Nano which is always plugged in my usb port. I was using the r&b EQ setting from the Ipod. I changed the EQ for no EQ, and guess what, NO RATTLE AT ALL. I pushed the volume up to 32-33, with the bass at full strenght and sub at close to max, and believe it or not, it is working. Even some of the songs with the deeper bass, which used to rattle like crazy at 18-20 sounded good with no rattle at all. I can feel the doors and the back window shaking, which is normal at that volume, but again, no rattling anymore.
Will continue to monitor this and experiment other EQ settings, but for now, I don't think I will have to investigate further. Thought you would all like to know.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
just spoke to my service consultant and he got back in touch with the field tech. He spoke to the engineers on this and said I must have gotten old stock cuz the vibrating rear deck is a known issue and found it to be an issue with the specs being off on the deck and causing it to warp a bit. they are ordering another deck, hoping a get the updated one... keep you posted.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
well.....they replaced the deck again and it sounded great for about a week and the vibration is back with a vengeance.. so pissed. called my Honda guy to let him know and told him I want to take it to a stereo shop to get it sound deadened by a reputable shop. The field tech told me to let them try and fix it first and then if not I could do that and they would pick up the cost.

MMOSER2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
My 2017 touring sedan went in the shop Friday for an oil change and to address the subwoofer rattle. After 2.5 hours they called me over and said they would need me to bring it back the following week for a full day because they could hear the rattle but couldn't figure out why it was rattling. I dropped it off at 8am today, i will update with their "fix"

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
So, I'm just gonna put this up again because I keep getting notifications about this thread.

I made this, a year ago when I bought the car, and it's holding strong as day 1. It's easy, cheap, and far better than what the teenagers at the Honda service bay will do.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/cheap-permanent-touring-rattle-fix-insulation-foam.4272/
I have the same idea only I did not make mine but bought two softer rubber doorstops, about the size of your homemade one. I put both of them in the same spot below the rear deck light and pushed them in until the rear deck touched the back window. I have absolutely no rattle at all and it's been that way since last October! Easy fix and I'm enjoying my music albeit I do not listen above 25-27 on the volume control, mostly 20-22 is my limit otherwise it is too loud and one needs to hear what's going on when one is driving!

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I've tried the wedge in the third brake light, and the sorbothane rubber bumpers as well as a few socks and still have the vibration. For a $26,000 car I shouldn't have to do these things. They are trying a certain clip that fixed the accords with same issue today. If that does not work, it's off to the stereo shop to be dynamatted and Honda is paying for it.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I've tried the wedge in the third brake light, and the sorbothane rubber bumpers as well as a few socks and still have the vibration. For a $26,000 car I shouldn't have to do these things. They are trying a certain clip that fixed the accords with same issue today. If that does not work, it's off to the stereo shop to be dynamatted and Honda is paying for it.
I'm sorry that your rattle is giving so much trouble! Of course you are right about the cost of the car certainly belies such a problem! It's too bad you have to go through so much bother to get it fixed! Good luck!

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I used the rubber door stopper and it worked a 100%. Once in a while I have to readjust it. Best 99 cents I spent.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
well, current dealer fix failed too.... my dealer went above and beyond to try and fix this issue. Even had a Honda field tech come out and look at it. The first 2 times, they tried to repad the area, which failed. Then they replaced the rear shelf, failed. Field tech told them the rear shelf had some production issues and it was a few millimeters too long and it was causing shelf to warp which in turn caused the vibration, failed. Was told might have not gotten the updated shelf, so replaced it again, failed. Yesterday they tried a fix that they did on the Accords in the past with similar issue, failed again. very frustrated at this point. this has been going on since I bought the car 10 months ago. Field tech told us if they can not fix the issue they would pay for me to get it fixed at an audio install shop, so that's where I am right now. Waiting to hear back from my dealer for the go ahead and when I do I will be taking it to a reputable shop to have them assess the situation to hopefully fix this once and for all.. I listen to bass heavy music and I like it loud so this has been a nightmare for me. Part of the reason I went with the Touring was to have the upgraded sound system. Wish I would have just gone with the EXL AT THIS POINT , and had a sound system put in.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
well, current dealer fix failed too.... my dealer went above and beyond to try and fix this issue. Even had a Honda field tech come out and look at it. The first 2 times, they tried to repad the area, which failed. Then they replaced the rear shelf, failed. Field tech told them the rear shelf had some production issues and it was a few millimeters too long and it was causing shelf to warp which in turn caused the vibration, failed. Was told might have not gotten the updated shelf, so replaced it again, failed. Yesterday they tried a fix that they did on the Accords in the past with similar issue, failed again. very frustrated at this point. this has been going on since I bought the car 10 months ago. Field tech told us if they can not fix the issue they would pay for me to get it fixed at an audio install shop, so that's where I am right now. Waiting to hear back from my dealer for the go ahead and when I do I will be taking it to a reputable shop to have them assess the situation to hopefully fix this once and for all.. I listen to bass heavy music and I like it loud so this has been a nightmare for me. Part of the reason I went with the Touring was to have the upgraded sound system. Wish I would have just gone with the EXL AT THIS POINT , and had a sound system put in.
Good luck, but be careful not to listen too loudly that you don't hear what's going on around you while driving! Better safe than sorry!
Sponsored