Touring subwoofer rattles.

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
Some of you seem to think this is an issue with the sound system. It is not. Quite the opposite... we have the issue because we have a good sound system that produces low and solid bass. The 'rattles' are a result of basic physics, combined with the fact that cars are not designed by audio engineers, and are very different from recording studios.
Low frequency sound waves of high amplitude cause motion/vibration of anything close by. If you look at the rear window when you have the bass cranked, you can actually see it vibrating. In most cases on our Civics the buzzing / rattling is at the interface between the rear window and the rear deck / 3rd brake light. These parts and the rear window all are moving and basically hitting each other when the sub puts out a lot of bass. In my case I was able to 'fix' the issue with some padding material wedged into the 'right' places. It took a few attempts. Certain music with very heavy low end still is a challenge when cranked up (like Maria Maria by Carlos Santana).
I suggest stop wasting time with the dealerships on this, and fix it yourself, since you know how to recreate the issue and should be able to figure out exactly where the 'rattle' is on your car.....it's really a low tech problem and low tech fix....
:respect: #Dropsmic
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
May have some good News for the canadian owners...went to my dealer today for the infamous subwoofer rattle ( second time) . They told me because the first fix with cheap foam did not work they will now go with the ultimate fix which is changing the whole back deck. Part ordered today, so I will soon get a call from them to proceed with the fix. Will keep you all posted as to the result of this. Absolutely love this car BUT had 2 very annoying problems, the rain sensing wipers ( fixed today) and the rattle ( hopefully will be gone soon )
More to come...
What was the issue with the rain sensing wipers and how did they fix it? I can't stand mine. They work sometimes during the day. But at night it's unusable.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
What was the issue with the rain sensing wipers and how did they fix it? I can't stand mine. They work sometimes during the day. But at night it's unusable.
Mine were completely erratic. For the same amount of rain, the speed was superfast, then nothing for too long, then a normal speed. They changed the rain sensor, as apparently some were not working properly, and since then, they are working very well.

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Mine were completely erratic. For the same amount of rain, the speed was superfast, then nothing for too long, then a normal speed. They changed the rain sensor, as apparently some were not working properly, and since then, they are working very well.
Mine behave exactly like you describe: Erratic, random, almost never the right speed for the amount of rain coming down. I guess I'll be making my first trip back to the dealership to get the sensor replaced.....

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks! I will ask the dealer to look at it. I was afraid they were going to tell me that's how they are.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Just finished replacing rear shelf. We will see if it's fixed shortly.

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

Took Elykog's documentation into my dealer.
Left an hour later sounding better than ever.

Thanks.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of questions to ask regarding the fix to the sub rattles:

- Will anyone that has had this issue fixed mind showing a picture of where to put additional padding to prevent the rattles?
- For those that have had it fixed, were you able to turn the bass & SUB setting all the way up without hearing any rattle?

Thanks~! :)

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
A couple of questions to ask regarding the fix to the sub rattles:

- Will anyone that has had this issue fixed mind showing a picture of where to put additional padding to prevent the rattles?
- For those that have had it fixed, were you able to turn the bass & SUB setting all the way up without hearing any rattle?

Thanks~! :)
I terms of turning everything up, when pushed all the way out there was still a touch of rattle, but at that point the audio seemed unbalanced and the rattle seemed like a wider more typical rattle you'd except with that much bass.

The sound system is still meh. But much much more tolerable.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Yep my vibration is back...even after Honda installed the newly engineered rear deck that the field tech said was redesigned due to warping issues that Honda was aware of that was causing the issue. My Honda consultant contacted that field rep yesterday and is awaiting his reply on this. so frustrating

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yep my vibration is back...even after Honda installed the newly engineered rear deck that the field tech said was redesigned due to warping issues that Honda was aware of that was causing the issue. My Honda consultant contacted that field rep yesterday and is awaiting his reply on this. so frustrating
At least you are getting replies and having work done. The technician that looked at my car told me the solution was to turn down the subwoofer.

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
At least you are getting replies and having work done. The technician that looked at my car told me the solution was to turn down the subwoofer.
my guess was gunna be turn down the volume as their answer.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Take in a copy of the paperwork elykoj posted.
After rounds of similar "turn it down" and "we upgraded the firmware"

That finally worked for me.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag

Upgraded firmware?? Lol. For a subwoofer shelf vibration? Although this updated shelf did not work either so not sure how it's going to be addressed?

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

I did and they said since my car wasn't made in the US it was probably different. Haven't heard from that specific rep since then. I'm also waiting from a reply from Honda Canada. I tried to be nice but when he replied that I had to turn it down. It was too much. How dumb do they think we are.
Sponsored