Touring subwoofer rattles.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I think Honda could save a bunch of money in repairs and PR by putting the woofer in a nice form-fitting box in the back corner of the trunk from now on, instead of the rear shelf.
Sponsored

quadna71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring sedan
Country flag
I wedged a bunch of foam in between the metal deck and the plastic cover - worked great for a while but now the rattle is back. So I intend to pull the plastic cover, apply some dynamat, reinstall, then stuff fresh foam up around the 3rd brake light to see if that helps. Any special tips to removing it?

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
I listen to bass heavy music and I like it loud
And in that statement lies part of the problem. It's a car, which is not designed (and cannot be designed) like an audio listening room. That said, the DIY 'fixes' that have been provided here are good. Have you tried them? In any case, if you crank it up to 90db with the bass boosted, SOMETHING will still likely vibrate and rattle.

Schatzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
And in that statement lies part of the problem. It's a car, which is not designed (and cannot be designed) like an audio listening room. That said, the DIY 'fixes' that have been provided here are good. Have you tried them? In any case, if you crank it up to 90db with the bass boosted, SOMETHING will still likely vibrate and rattle.
Very good reply! I did my own fix back last October with two soft rubber door stops and foam pipe insulation and to this day I have no rattle! Then again I don't listen much above 20-25 volume levels and above middle bass. Common sense has it to hat your car is not an audiophile listening room! You need to pay attention to road conditions and warning sound of impending trouble! How can you hear anything at the unrealistic volume levels plus bass levels that some people use. As you said it's no wonder that something would rattle! Get real people!

Mhowe23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
I know this thread has kind of died down but if anyone cant stand the rattle and want it fixed right, I just purchased my 2017 Civic Touring about a month ago and couldn't stand the rattle and didn't want to do the 'quick fix' method people are doing by shoving rubber pieces in there. I took to my Honda dealer and they replaced the whole shelf and sounds amazing. Here's the invoice

Honda Civic 10th gen Touring subwoofer rattles. 20180201_211009

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I know this thread has kind of died down but if anyone cant stand the rattle and want it fixed right, I just purchased my 2017 Civic Touring about a month ago and couldn't stand the rattle and didn't want to do the 'quick fix' method people are doing by shoving rubber pieces in there. I took to my Honda dealer and they replaced the whole shelf and sounds amazing. Here's the invoice

20180201_211009.jpg
My dealer tried to fix mine several times, even replaced the shelf twice which a Honda field tech stated there was a redesign. They said I could take it to a stereo shop and they would pay for it, which I did. Its been a few months and so far so good. fingers crossed

dhonious1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring 2016 Honda Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer tried to fix mine several times, even replaced the shelf twice which a Honda field tech stated there was a redesign. They said I could take it to a stereo shop and they would pay for it, which I did. Its been a few months and so far so good. fingers crossed
It seems like when i first purchased my car it didn't have any issues, then it started getting worse and worse. I actually took mine out and put it back in and it was great for a few weeks then it started back again. I think the clips work looks and things start to rattle. I would like to know how the new shelf works in a few weeks or month. Please keep us posted.

Mhowe23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
It seems like when i first purchased my car it didn't have any issues, then it started getting worse and worse. I actually took mine out and put it back in and it was great for a few weeks then it started back again. I think the clips work looks and things start to rattle. I would like to know how the new shelf works in a few weeks or month. Please keep us posted.
My car was purchased late 2017, but I'm not sure if rattle was like that to start off or got worse over a few weeks. Its only been a few days, but everything sounds amazing. I've turned up the music quite a bit too and played songs with the bass emphasized and I'm from Minnesota and I've also noticed that when I would hit bumps on the freeway it would make the rattle for a second as I hit the bump in road. So far everything is perfect but its only been a few days. I will update when more time passes.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Apparently they fixed the rattle for the 18's because there is 0 bass coming out of the 18 Si Sedan I just picked up.

Drunken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic touring
I have a 2018 civic touring that has no subwoofer rattle it seems like then made the area around the brake light smaller as well.

droidkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2018 civic touring that has no subwoofer rattle it seems like then made the area around the brake light smaller as well.
Could you take a picture of the break light area in the trunk on the 2018?

Mhowe23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Well it's been about a month since they replaced the rear shelf in my Civic. And I'm pretty pissed to say but the to say but the rattling has come back

My car was purchased late 2017, but I'm not sure if rattle was like that to start off or got worse over a few weeks. Its only been a few days, but everything sounds amazing. I've turned up the music quite a bit too and played songs with the bass emphasized and I'm from Minnesota and I've also noticed that when I would hit bumps on the freeway it would make the rattle for a second as I hit the bump in road. So far everything is perfect but its only been a few days. I will update when more time passes.

AndyT

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Touring Sedan
Country flag
I hate to dig this back up, but this turned out to be a pretty useful thread after a brief search.

My 18 Touring sedan also has this pretty severe sub rattle. I initially thought both rear speakers were blown when I looked at the car on the dealers lot. They told me they would address it, but ended up telling me ā€œall of them do itā€. I ended up placing a pretty thick chunk of fabric between the third brake light housing and the metal shelf from within the trunk. I had to use a wide plastic pry tool to push it up into place. It was actually working pretty well until the other day. Itā€™s been rather cold and we hadnā€™t driven the car in a few days. Iā€™m thinking the plastic contracting in the cold weather makes it worse. Iā€™m interested to see how it sounds with that fabric still in place when it starts to warm up. Iā€™m thinking itā€˜ll sound pretty normal at that stage.
Sponsored