Touring subwoofer rattles.

Dahbehr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,

I just picked up the new civic touring last Saturday. I love the audio system in the touring but the subwoofer has a really bad rattle with songs with very little bass. If I put my hand on the plastic area and press down right behind the subwoofer it goes away. I'm guessing it's the wiring for the brake light rattling around in the rear deck lid.

Does anyone else experience this rattle? It's so annoying I want to unplug it. Any suggestions on an easy fix?

Thanks guys!!!

Josh
Sponsored

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
If it's anything at all like other Honda products, the sub is in the rear deck and the rear deck cover is rattling against a lip in the sheetmetal. There are two options to fix it: remove the plastic deck cover in its entirety and put some Dynamat or cheap carpeting cut to fit on the sheetmetal, or stuff a sock in it. Literally. From the trunk, you'll be able to see some access points up underneath the rear deck. Feel around inside until you find a pinch point, usually towards the front of the car from the access point. Take an old (clean) sock or rag and stuff it into that pinch point. It might take some finagling, but it'll go in. Then turn up your bass with impunity.

Source: Experience, and this thread in particular.
:)

OP
OP
Dahbehr

Dahbehr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!! When I get home from work I will try to see if this works!!

poop1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KIA

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Thank you!! When I get home from work I will try to see if this works!!
Please post how this turns out.
Note that you can turn down the subwoofer specifically though in the sound settings.

OP
OP
Dahbehr

Dahbehr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Please post how this turns out.
Note that you can turn down the subwoofer specifically though in the sound settings.
Even when it's on a lower volume it still rattled. I shoved some soft foam between the glass and plastic so it was hidden and it helped some but I will try the sock idea when I get home.

I have 2 - 12" JL Audios from my old car which are super nice. Just didn't wanna lose trunk space but I may end up putting them in.

OP
OP
Dahbehr

Dahbehr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Could you post a picture of where you put it?
Thank you in advance.
Yeah I'll post one after work. Some songs still have a little rattle if it's really loud but it seems to be only certain frequencies. But majority of songs it's gone

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've run into the same problem. I'll have to see if the sock method works.

jshjns15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Lx, 2014 Accord Lx
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'll post one after work. Some songs still have a little rattle if it's really loud but it seems to be only certain frequencies. But majority of songs it's gone
Did you happen to take a picture yet?
Thanks again.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Anyone know of a permanent fix for the rear deck rattle on 9th gens? I've got an aftermarket sub in my LX and the rattle is terrible.

I've tried putting weatherstripping along the edge that touches glass but that only worked for a week. Usually taking the deck out and putting it back in stops it for a bit another few days.

OP
OP
Dahbehr

Dahbehr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
From what I've seen some people have issues with the brake light cables rattling around against the sheet metal.

jshjns15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Lx, 2014 Accord Lx
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just going to have Columbus Car audio fix it when I get my other sub installed. When I was at Honda, they said there wasn't much they could do to fix it.
Sponsored