Touring speaker replacement woes and semi-success

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Why do you think it has a delay?
Noticed it first with streaming music via Blueooth (quite obvious) then via Car Play (somewhat noticeable but not as obvious). Did some testing on another car with CarPlay (VW Golf) & did not experience a delay (if there was a delay it was imperceptible on the Golf). Also happens when using Apple Maps for nav. Made sure the HU had the latest software update when picking up the car, so at a loss as to cause.

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
No idea, my audio buddies up in Portland are helping me figure out how to best upgrade the sound on this car. I'm looking to throw in a set of these http://www.morelhifi.com/product/virtus-nano-2-way-3-way/ & a JL sub, and a couple of old school Precision Power amps that I've kept over the years - once I find out, I'll post an update.
Dude. I'm feeling your setup. I would be very intrigued in the mids. But I think you had me at PP amps. I loved my old six channel PP unregulated. My favorite setup was a eclipse 5509 HU. 2 eclipse PA 5422 4channel amps powering a set of Eclipse line source 3 ways. They had a 6.6 mid bass with a 7 inch ribbon mid range and silk dome tweeters. The tweeters were powered off of a eclipse 33230 2 channel. Sub was a eclipse aluminum 8800 series but I can't recal what size or model number. It was being driven by my precision power bridged on each voice coil. So the sub had to the later series. It was a pain getting the ribbons installed but I have never heard a mid range that compared. Let me know your thoughts on those nanos when test them. You have sparked my interest.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's subjective. I think Honda's stock speakers sound fine for what they are. Someone who works in a car audio store and is around expensive car audio stuff all day, would disagree.
True, an individual's perception of what sounds good is subjective - this thread is full of posters who are trying to research how they can replace the stock speakers/sound system to get better sound. Your opinion here is certainly in the minority, so why belabor the point of how "good" you perceive the stock speakers sound? I paid $65/pr for my Polk speakers, brand-new. Good sound can be had on a modest budget; the key is the quality of the install & tuning of the system afterwards.

mvizzion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic EX, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Does anyone else's ears hurt after listening to the system for more than 15 minutes? I keep the volume at or around 17-20, but my ears get fatigued quite quickly. Never ran into this with my '08 civic.

I just put in a JL Audio Powerwedge+ (sealed) and it added some nice bass to my Touring (hooked it up via the stock sub speaker wire), but the rest of the system isn't quite sounding right. I *thought* it was harsh tweeters, but I'm actually starting to suspect that it has to do with the mids or bass ranges, because when I turn those all the way down on the EQ, my ears get immediate "relief."

The problem is...I want *more* of the mid-bass (punch/kick) that the sub can't deliver. I suspect that I would be just fine with the stock speakers if I could EQ them better (my '08 Civic had a Pioneer HU and dialing in the 10-band EQ made a HUGE difference with the stock speakers.), but I don't know how to get that finer control and keep the stock HU. My car audio guy is thinking something like the JL Audio FiX would do it for me, but I really don't know what to think at this point. Any help would be appreciated!

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mvizzion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your car audio guy is right - you can go with the JL solution or this one by Audison http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42

You can look for the US Audison dealer here http://www.elettromedia-usa.com/
Forgive my ignorance here, but how does that play with the stock speakers? It looks like the outputs are RCA, and my speakers obviously aren't, and I don't intend to add an amp. Is the FiX intended to simply live between the stock HU and an amp?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgive my ignorance here, but how does that play with the stock speakers? It looks like the outputs are RCA, and my speakers obviously aren't, and I don't intend to add an amp. Is the FiX intended to simply live between the stock HU and an amp?
No worries, I'm always learning too - you're basically going to dump everything but the HU & get new speakers plus amp(s) & whatever DSP you go with. If you want to keep the stock amp & speakers, it may not be the best solution for you. The JL is probably cheaper & easier to setup than the Audison, which is more programmable (connect to a laptop to program).

mvizzion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No worries, I'm always learning too - you're basically going to dump everything but the HU & get new speakers plus amp(s) & whatever DSP you go with. If you want to keep the stock amp & speakers, it may not be the best solution for you. The JL is probably cheaper & easier to setup than the Audison, which is more programmable (connect to a laptop to program).
Bummer. That's more than I want to do. Simply replacing the HU and adding a sub in my last Civic gave me good enough sound, so I'm really hoping I can get there again with a minimal amount of modding. I'm seeing other threads on here about replacing the tweeters, so even though I didn't think those were the culprits, I might try that. Or even the front door speakers to clean up the more suspect mids and door-speaker-bass. I'm frustrated that I'm having to mess with it so much just to get it to where my 2008 was at. :/

solsticephase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
The head unit is definitely throttling back my 10" JL sub (in a ported box) and Alpine spr60c speakers which i installed in the front
I listen to drum and bass and although it sounds much better then the stock speakers, my new ones are performing at about 50-60% of their full potential because of the head unit.
I have the gain on my amp fully cranked with zero distortion...meaning low end bass frequencies coming from the head unit are lacking.
Bummer we are not able to tweak the DSP and I really don't want to drop money on a sound processor.

Filed a complaint with Honda voicing my displeasure of the DSP and their response was the system is optimized to perform at its best with the components chosen; installing non-honda components is not advisable but if desired will be at the risk of the owner and should be consulted with honda...blah blah blah.

And now my brand new ride basically needs open heart surgery :dunno::bs:
How are the Alpine SPR60C's? Are the tweeters harsh at all? I plan on grabbing a pair for my front speakers.

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How are the Alpine SPR60C's? Are the tweeters harsh at all? I plan on grabbing a pair for my front speakers.
I was wondering the same thing. I had an entire alpine system in my old civic and I loved it! I've seen A lot of good and bad reviews about how much better aftermarket speakers actually sound over stock. I'd hate to spend that much money on a set of speakers and tweeters and still be disappointed. I'm sure they are an improvement for non touring models but I haven't gotten a definite answer from anyone upgrading their Touring or Sport Touring speakers.

xavp1x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback
Country flag
Has anyone replaced their stock subwoofer in their ST hatch?
is it just me or that subwoofer just there to take up space?
I have my subwoofer level set all the way up and I cant hear a difference. I think I def need to go with a better subwoofer!
does anyone know the specs for it? it seems like a 6in sub to me just looks so tiny.
is it even possible to only replace the sub with out running new wires and adding an amp for it?

hydramirage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone replaced their stock subwoofer in their ST hatch?
is it just me or that subwoofer just there to take up space?
I have my subwoofer level set all the way up and I cant hear a difference. I think I def need to go with a better subwoofer!
does anyone know the specs for it? it seems like a 6in sub to me just looks so tiny.
is it even possible to only replace the sub with out running new wires and adding an amp for it?
The stock sub seems to be an 8 inch sub.
http://hondapartsnetwork.com/part/9...0-TEA-A01-Woofer-Speaker-Assembly-20CM-Foster

I find that the bass rolloff coming from the OEM headunit was killing my after market sub that I just had installed last week so I had an Audiocontrol LC2i installed the the aftermarket amp and sub today. I left the stock amp and sub alone as is as I have been hearing that if I were to put a DSP in between the HU and stock amp I would potentially lose GPS and bluetooth connection due to everything tied together. The LC2i was able to fix the bass rolloff so now I can finally hear the lower frequencies as intended~

18civicsitoo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
This will be a heads up write-up of sorts. Apparently Honda hates music. I probably went through 4 different sets of speakers when trying to replace the fronts. Infinity Kappa 62.11l was the prime choice, unfortunately tweeter protrudes too much, and they will not allow door panel to be snapped back on. Tried Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, same issue.

The only model that worked with hollowed-out stock mount was:
Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount.

The problem I'm running into now is front speakers massively outperforming/much louder than the rears. It'll be fixed by also replacing the rears with identical set.

Center front dash speaker is by far the easiest to replace. I recommend using Metra Honda speaker adapters (Metra 72-7800 ) so that you don't have to cut OEM wires. The speaker is 3.5".

Sadly, the head unit itself is slow. Slow in a sense that it's not very sensitive when it comes to picking up FM stations/will have sound artifacts. This car has 3 (4 if you count wifi you'll never use) standalone radio receivers, XM, FM/AM, and HD radio. XM appears to be the only one that does not suffer from batch factory defects/general crappiness. HD radio has the potential to sound better than any other source, but the signal degrades occasionally, which is a bit distracting. I really hope Honda can "overclock" the radios with a software fix. These issues were present since 2010 in all models.

So yeah, best we can do for now is polish the turd, metaphorically speaking. Until some company releases a compatible Android-based aftermarket unit, best we can do is replace garbage stock speakers and the sub. Tweeters are surprisingly alright.
Hello, can you please tell me what 3.5inch speaker you were able to install in your center dash location? I tried Rockford Fosgate Punch 3.5 inch, but were too big. Thanks!
Sponsored