JBCutlerson

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
I have a 2017 Touring sedan with a lease that's up in a few months. I'm considering a hatchback next time but I'm wondering about the sound system's audio quality. I've been generally quite happy with the system in my Touring (once I got rid of the subwoofer rattle with a piece of rubber) but I wonder if the hatchback sound system will sound as good. I had a Civic LX loaner car one day last year and although the audio system sounded ok, it definitely wasn't as good sounding as the one in my Touring.

So has anyone heard both Touring model audio systems (sedan and hatchback) and if so how did they compare? I see the specs on the Hatchback version show 90 more watts and two additional speakers compared to the sedan but that doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better.
Sponsored

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
I can’t compare to the sedan , but I do have a 20 model hatch touring .

Yes I was surprised at the amount of speakers , especially the rear . Two in the door , lower and the tweeter in the upper part , and one ear level in the c pillar .

I say it sounds pretty good , not as good as my wife’s 19’Santa Fe , it has the 12 speaker infinity surround system with 630 watts . That system is just a little crisper overall.

But overall, I’m pretty happy with the civics system .

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't think you have your priorities set right if you choose one car over the other just based on sound quality. The difference in audio between those two should be minimal. I believe even the Touring Trims use crappy stock paper speakers. You'd want to replace them with aftermarket speakers asap and get an aftermarket amp as well if possible but even running aftermarket speakers on the stock amp is still noticeably better than the stock speakers.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Agree the stock speakers on the touring/Si are not that good above moderate volume. I don't know if the cones are made of paper. They felt plastic to me and were made to look like woven carbon fiber, but they're anything but. The material is stiff and the magnet is tiny. Attributes that make crappy speakers. They're bearable at low to moderate volumes, but once you crank up the volume just a bit, they just suck. But at least the surrounds are not foam so they might be able to play pretty loud without damage.
Sponsored